The GreenBowl BagBall Tourney Saturday Nov 8th - Starting 7PM 1 MIL - PRIZE POOL

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Halabinder, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

Hello UOR,

I would like to invite you to a BagBall tournament at GanjaNation on Saturday November 8th at 7PM EST. It's close to the mountain pass that leads to wind and the entrance to Despise.

The Event is Taking Place at the Event Centre. Portals will be provided from all the usual Places.

HOW TO PLAY:

This game was inspired by Miners who used to drag a heavy pile of Ore around and people who would drag them away to piss them off. The point of the game is to place the BagBall behind the other teams goal line to score a goal. The ball weighs 1000 stones so you cannot walk with it. You will be given food but no refresh pots during the match!
    The initial Prize pool was 100k but it has quickly grown to 750k gold. 70% of all donations towards the prize pool will go to the Winning team along with Player Statues for each team member. The remaining 30% will go to the second place team.

Requirements:

This is a 2v2 BagBall tournament. You will need to register a team of 2 players. I cannot see how it would benefit someone to control the both players, but I suppose if they wanted to I can't do anything about it. There is no registration fee. Entry into the building will be like the freesist entrance. Your characters must be prepared to die and enter as ghosts. There will be a strict dress code for participating in the matches:

Feet: Shoes ONLY
    Legs: Shorts, Pants or Kilt (No long skirts)
    Top: Shirt or Doublet (no jester suits or robes)
    Head Bandana or skullcap

All of these items will be available inside, although everything other than head gear is available as starter items that are noobed.

TEAMS
    - The Gypsy Warriors (Geebee, Freakzilla)
    - Hype Train (Gideon Jura, Krake Vestahl)
    - The Lobbers (Cashius, Something Stupid)
    -MindChaseLess (Gnarl, Chaser Darksky)
    -Spiritwood Sprytes (Kiln the Dwarf, Judy the Amazon)
    -Lumberjackin' It (Taliic, Abraham Lincoln)

SOLO ENTRIES

CURRENT PRIZE POOL
 1 Million in Gold Prizes

Please Post your Teams and Player Names on this thread. Sign ups end Wednesday November 5th at Midnight. I will post game schedules on Thursday the 6th.
    To encourage participation, I am leaving the sign ups open until Midnight on Friday the 7th instead of Wednesday the 5th. Anyone who wishes to sign up Solo and be partnered at the event is also invited to enter Solo. I will figure out a fair system to team people up (probably random)

Town Crier Lines:

Line 1"To all bag ball enthusiasts, you are officially invited to the GreenBowl! "
    Line 2 "Come see the first ever UO:R bag ball tournament at GanjaNation stadium. Portals to the stadium will be provided at West Brit Bank on November 8 at 6:30PM EST"

EVENT DETAILS:

Event Name: GreenBowl BagBall Tournament
    Date and Time: November 8, 2014 (7PM EST) (6PM CST) (4PM PST)
    Event Hosts: The Gypsy Warriors
    1st PlaceTrophy: _________ 1st Place GreenBowl 8-11-14
    2nd Place Trophy: _________ NOT 1st Place GreenBowl 8-11-14

DETAILS AND INSTRUCTIONS:

A New Stadium was built for this event by UO:R Staff in the event Center so it will not longer take place in my tower. The field will be larger than what I was expecting, and u can no longer step out of bounds. I will have Total Refresh Pots available and will adjust how many you get per game if tweeking is required. As it is, you get all the food you want and only 5 Total Refresh Pots per 6 minute game. I will have fish steaks, but you can bank your own food and access it from the event. You will be snooped by Matt Damon prior to entering the field to ensure you have nothing other than food and the 5 red pots.

Game Rules:
    -Each match with consist of two 3 minute rounds.
    -The game clock does not stop running.
    -Coin toss (dice, odd/even) will decide which team starts. Other teams starts second half.
    -If you are caught holding he ball too long the ref will stop the play and the penalized team returns to their half. The other teams starts with possession at half.
    -As I have no quick way of ejecting you from the game (like "remove thyself" in a house), you can step in all areas of the field.

I WILL POST GAME SCHEDULES AROUND 6:45 WHEN ALL TEAMS HAVE REGISTERED!

Sorry About Last Minute Changes! They will be worth it!
    This is Going to Kick Ass
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
    newme, Lord Krake, Vlar and 3 others like this.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme, Vlar, Halabinder and 1 other person like this.
  3. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Love the Idea, didn't have time to set it up myself, so will let my gold speak for me

I pledge 50k towards the prize pool (will up this to 100k if Blaise donates 100k)

How's that for HYPE ?!?!?! Son!!!!
    newme, Halabinder and Gideon Jura like this.
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    newme and Halabinder like this.
  5. Halabinder

Bart Simpson gave me 25k when I first started and Blaise went out of his way to help me get my tower spot. He accepted H-Coins he didn't even want as part of the payment towards a property and everything. The only thing either of them asked was to "pay it forward" to the community. Another 50k from me to thank them for their help.

If 555 is matching LanDarr's 50 and my 50 that is a total of 400k Gold so far. 280 for the winning team and 120 for second place. Keep them coming and find a partner and sign up to win this gold!
    newme and Vlar like this.
  6. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'll donate 50k and be signing up a team soon.
    Halabinder likes this.
  7. Halabinder

I just wanted everyone to know the only reason those rules make sense is that El Horno took the time to discuss the game with me and Dalavar Proof Read the post before I sent it. I had subs and fights and resurrections and all sorts of "fun sounding" stuff that were just not going to fit in a 3 minute half.

Thanks for lending an enthusiast your knowledge and experience guys!

I also wanted to thank Otterslide and Freakzilla for the time they have put into helping me test the field and prepare GanjaNation for the event. Freakzilla has put a ton of resources into GanjaNation and deserves a lot of credit for making this happen.

Oh I should probably thank Jupiter too. It usually takes him 2 to 3 posts, but he eventually gets me to actually say what I meant to say the first time in a language other people also understad... I learned everything from reading everyone else's posts in the original BagBall Thread and by trying stuff out on test.

PS: There is a tower in that exact spot on Test with a Snakes and Ladders Course on the roof. I am going to go make sure the doors are unlocked and it hasn't fallen lol. Buy a Dice Cup and Go try it out if u like :)
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
    newme, Vlar and Dalavar like this.
  8. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

This thread make-uh-me smile! Lot of good will has gone into this shard, and it shows. And right on 555 foundation! hehe Love that.
  9. Halabinder

Yeah lot of good will including your offer of help which I happily accept. Let me know when it is convenient and bring a non-owner over so I can co-own him to the tower. I am gonna man the time announcer on a separate account and be the second official to ensure things are running smoothly. I would really appreciate it if you take on the role of the Game Head Referee.

Where do I have to post the info that is needed for the event trophies and other stuff? I sent a private message to staff but haven't heard back yet. Probably busy.

BTW - I will have the plat to upgrade the trophies to Verite. The GanjaBowl trophies have to be green!
    newme and Vlar like this.
  10. Halabinder

Sorry about double post... My thread needed a bump...

FFFFFFF - Internet connection.....
    newme likes this.
  11. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

You can thank me again later :)

http://uorforum.com/threads/player-run-events-staff-services.4031/

Here is the link for best practices of requesting staff assistance for a player run event.

Also a tip for subtle yet effective security, find at least one person to commit to watching the crowd and temporarily friend them. That way you can focus on reffing.

You may or may not even need security. I have been able to come up with a mathematical equation for the likely hood to grief. It is a function of the ease of interfering, the level of boredom, and the amount of gratification you give them. f(grief)=E(B+Gr). The formula to determine a person's level of boredom is much more complicated and involves trigonometric calculations of the person's age, level of intelligence, whether or not they were picked on at school, and several other factors.

Suffice it to say, in this function you can rarely have any control over a person's level of boredom, but there are several things you can do to control the ease to interfere and the amount of gratification received.

(Hint flaming out on irc/forums is a guaranteed way to exponentially boost a griefer's level of gratification. Avoid that. )
  12. Halabinder

I read that Jupiter. I'm OCD and I need to follow instructions... It says if you want town crier announcements to include it in the post. I am not sure what I want them to cry about so I haven't put anything in the post for it. But it does not tell me where to include the lines for the news feed. Vlar recommended I talk to Telamon on IRC tonight. I shall try.

Vlar is also going to help me run the event. My brother is going to the US for a Muay Thai tournament so he isn't available, but 2 other guild members will be available to help out also. I'll have an account just running a Time Announcement Macro. 3 Minute non stop half so it's easy. I really don't want to participate in the games myself this time. It wasn't about that for me. I just wanted to give back to a decent community with time and effort more than anything else (I'm also very bad at it, but don't tell anyone k thx). So Vlar and I will Referee and Assistant Referee. Assistant's Job will be to watch the crowd as well as hand a player who is caught with a foul the keys to enter the premises again.

If it is cool with everyone, my guild will field a team. It will likely be Geebee and Freakzilla but we will figure that out later. If anyone objects we will drop out and just host. Our aim is for those who attend to have fun and the prizes would have more value to us if they went to other people.

I am not worried about griefing personally. A) I haven't trolled anyone enough to hate me. B) I just haven't been around for anyone on this shard to hate me. C) Teens and people in their early 20s don't play on free UO shards do they? The security stuff is to make those who would attend feel safe not me. I don't live out of this Tower, I live out of a little one close to it... There won't be anything other than food and alcohol for people to steal. If all attendants are cool with it, there will be no reason for dying to enter. I'll just open the damn door and snoop u with my thief. Freakzilla and I hope to safely secure everything in the Stadium by this Weekend and leave it open for the rest of the week. He was getting a lot of work done until he made a bar and a TV. Now I constantly find him passed out in front of it with a half empty bottle of booze. There are no bartenders so there is no one to cut him off when he has had too much...

Now the REAL question is, will the Village of Paws be sending any Athletes to this event? They might be able to have a stable of their own (First time I saw that it blew my brains) in their village, but can they BagBall? I am going to with GanjaBowl or a more politically correct version which would be the GreenBowl for name of the event so that's what the Trophies are going to be called. Tell me you don't want a Verite GreenBowl trophy displayed in your village!
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  13. Jupiter

I'll save the date. My master plan to cut back on UO has been successful so far, thus it shall be easy to receive my wife's blessing to play unabated this whole evening.

Spiritwood Sprytes will take this tournament!

I'll most likely send Kiln the Dwarf as my player. He's cantankerous.
  14. Jupiter

Also for the town crier might I suggest

Line 1"To all bag ball enthusiasts, you are officially invited! "

Line 2 "Come see the first ever UO:R bag ball tournament at GanjaNation stadium. Portals to the stadium will be provided at <insert bank name>"

For the news feed you could say something short like "UO:R Bagball 2014 - At GanjaNation Stadium"
    Halabinder likes this.
  15. Halabinder

I will copy paste the lines into the body of the original post!
  16. Halabinder

Added Detailed instructions in the original post. Please let me know if anyone has any questions.
  17. jefferyjay

jefferyjay Member

maybe i missed something, but how do you score?
  18. Halabinder

No sir, you missed nothing. How to score is not actually mentioned in the original post. You have my apologies and my thanks.

[​IMG]

The barrels are goal posts. The red tiles are the Goal line. You cannot stand on the red tiles while the game is being played. That costs your team a player for a few seconds. Also, the bagball that will be used will weigh 1000 stones. So you cannot pick it up and walk around with it. You will drain all your stamina and will be unable to move. In order to score, you have to place the ball in one of the six squares marked by the green Xs in the pic. Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I will find the video of a game from the previous bagball thread and post it here.
    One and Vlar like this.
  19. Jupiter

Some random morning thoughts have just hit me. I see that you have required ghosted entry which I believe solves part of my question: will food and red pots be allowed and available?

If so, some thoughts on that. First, my thoughts are allow each team the opportunity to buy the same number of red pots (you could establish your own brand and market it as Ganjuice and sell it for a nice sum). I think this would be well received and none of us would feel ripped off since you could claim the marked up price is what pays the families of the struggling laborers to build and upkeep this exquisite stadium.

So tl;tr: make Ganjuice, allow each team to buy max of 4, sell it for 10k a pop or more or less (using a vendor which you can temporarily place and replace), if anybody balks at your price tell them 60 silver of each gold piece goes towards over-head costs and salaries for the laborers.

for food you could do the same but just allow more. I'm thinking some sushi (curious fish), cooked fish, fowlage (cabbage), and maybe some stale Ganja biscuits. Phew sorry for the long post.
    Freakzilla and Halabinder like this.
  20. jefferyjay

jefferyjay Member

LOL, no apologies necessary, and thanks for the explanation. Sounds like a fun time!
    Halabinder likes this.