The Legend of Do quo ti

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by newme, Oct 4, 2014.

1. newme

newme Well-Known Member

My friend Marjo passed along this journal of her distant ancestor "Do quo ti". This journal has been handed down among the generations of her family and explains the naming of "WispFelt Village". I agreed to post it here in hopes others would find it as interesting as I.

"SOSARIA"

" The end of my time in this world nears; of late, my thoughts have lingered upon the event which brought me here. Mere chance or a devised scheme, I know not which.

That fateful day was warm, pleasant. My cousin was to join me in a fishing adventure, but at the last moment he begged off. Thus alone I launched boat upon the sea.
    Many a fish took bait, my mood was content.

Of a sudden, a great wind ruffled sails, rocked the boat and pitched me to the boards. Cautiously I took hold of the mast-pole to steady myself and stand upright.
    The boat rocked, the wind gushed still; yet these facts were not what made me gasp....I beheld not clear sky and vast blue expanse of the sea, but a dense fog engulfed all.

More fearful still, as if being towed by a gentle hand the boat was moving. At first I could see naught but fog. Than...than, my heart plunged for now clearly a short distance away it appeared as if the fog, nay, the very sky itself was torn apart. Within this gap swirled a mist embedded with shinning stars. Stunned and terrified I realized it was to this that my boat and I where being drawn.

Moments or days, I know not which, that I floated within that mist. Oddly the stars seemed close enough to caress, yet a vast distance away. Odder still, I was acutely aware
    of two distinct voices; one saddened but determined, the other stern but compassionate The words of either I could not understand.

As suddenly as it began, I was falling.

The fall was steep, fortunately, I hit the water feet first avoiding a full body impact. I struggled to the surface. With a great effort I put aside panic and forced myself to rotate my body until I scanned all directions. My boat was no where to be seen. There! There to the west lay land. I began swimming towards the line of trees I could discern above the gentle waves. Resting by floating on my back, I managed a good way before I began to tire. But tire I did.

At dusk or dawn, I could not tell, I awoke sprawled out on a sandy beach. Aware of two things, my hand rested upon a brilliant gem-stone embedded in the sand, and that a
    odd musical tone had woke me. Laying there until my mind cleared somewhat, I heard that sound again, which gave me to smile. Arising I saw a grassy plain, studded here and there by trees. Beyond this expanse the outline of buildings and sound of far-away talking. The shape of the buildings foreign to me, the vocal tones equally foreign. Fear griped me. What place this? What manner of people are these?

Not unlike the chiming of crystals touching one another in a draft, again that musical tone. The notes soothed my fear and I felt drawn to follow this lovely song. I manage to stand, and followed the curve of a large boulder and there, before a tree was a glowing being. It reminded me of the form one sees when looking at a star. It floated above the ground and it's life force seemed to pulsate the shinny substance of it's body. Awestruck, I could only stand there.

For reasons unknown, I felt compelled to sing my spirit song.

When I finished it gave a note or two....began to move away towards the deep forest. At first I thought it a farewell, but I dared to move towards it. As I approached it sped up its pace and I followed. After a time, we came to a clearing... In it's center stood a cabin constructed of logs. The creature paused and sang it's song louder than before. Only a moment passed before a man came out to the porch, followed by a woman. She did not stay on the porch , but hastened down the steps to me. She spoke words I did not know, but the warmth and welcome she emitted was appreciated and gladden my heart. The creature once again sang it's song... Than in a flash was gone.

Suffice it to say, I stayed the winter season with this friendly couple. They taught me their language and customs, and I in turn taught them mine. It was a warm home and I grew fond of Jenny and Claude and I felt, they of me. Seasons end, and this one turned to spring. In the early days of this new season, the creature returned. But now I knew it's name.
    Wisp.

We were sitting about the table finishing our meal, when that distinct song sounded. Claude smiled at me and said " I feel this visit for you, Do quo ti." "Aye", Jenny added. " I feel that as well."

For me, I knew with a certainty, the Wisp returned for me and that this would mean my leaving this home and family. I rose and gave both my dear friends a hug, and with a tear in eye and excitement in my heart, I gathered together my few belongings. Once outside, I sang a welcoming song and the Wisp returned a song of the sweetest tones.

I also knew with the deepest certainty, that the Wisp would lead me back to the city's edge of which I had found myself so long ago. This time I was not afraid, for I felt that this Wisp would protect me on this new journey. So it did. Once in the protected boundaries of the city, the Wisp left. But now and than when i ventured forth into the forest, I could feel it hidden near by. I would sing a welcoming and hear in return it's lovely song."

Do quo ti

*acknowledgement: "My Story", by Sherry the Mouse

Winter, Codus, Vlar and 6 others like this.