The New Renaissance Capture the Flag Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Blaise, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome to the UO:Renaissance Capture the Flag (CTF) Guide! **PICTURES WILL BE ADDED LATER**
    After much toil and testing, UOR has a new CTF system with team-selection sign ups, redesigned event waiting area and gate systems as well as trophies for top performers on each team! Below I will try to guide everyone through the basics of this fun game and how to make the best of it.

What is the point of Capture the Flag:
    Two Team CTF: Two bases are placed opposite one another in various arenas. Both teams have a flag in their starting area, or home base. The objective is to seek out your opposition's base and double-click their flag to pick it up. Once you have the enemy flag, you must bring it to your base, double-click it and click on your team's flag to "capture the flag". If the enemy is carrying your flag, you cannot score until your flag is returned.

Four Team CTF: Four bases are situated in opposite corners of the arena setting. All four teams have a flag in their starting area, or home base. The objective is to seek out ANY opposition's base and double-click their flag to pick it up. Once you have an enemy flag, you must bring it to your base, double-click it and click on your team's flag to "capture the flag". If an enemy is carrying your flag, you cannot score until your flag is returned.

Sign-Ups for Capture the Flag:
    When sign-ups open for Capture the Flag, players will find Green Event Gates to the Event Waiting Area in the following locations:
    Lord British's Castle: 1385, 1625, 30 /
    Britain Chamber of Virtues: 1560, 1615, 10 / Moonglow: 4479, 1133, 0 / Skara Brae: 619, 2148, 0
    Jhelom: 1423, 3727, 0 / Trinsic: 1891, 2848, 20 / Vesper: 2900, 693, 0 / Buccaneer's Den Bath House: 2716, 2165, 0
    [​IMG]

Services available to players in the Event Waiting Area: **YOU MUST REMAIN IN THE WAITING AREA TO RETAIN YOUR PLACE ONCE SIGNED UP**
    Bank and Stablemaster Access
    An array of dye tubs to aide team coordination, as desired.
    Green Spectator Gate: Provides non-participants a viewing area to watch the match from outside the arena walls/perimeter
    Exit Gates: Blue for Guarded Towns, Red for Buccaneer's Den.

Exiting the Event Waiting Area:
    Players may choose from one of five exit gates to leave the Event Waiting Area
    All gates will transport the player to a random location in their respective town, as listed below:
    Britain, Skara Brae, Moonglow, Occlo (Blue Gates) and Buccaneer's Den (Red Gate- No Guard Zone)

How points are awarded in Capture the Flag:
    Capturing Any Enemy Flag: 15 Points
    Killing Any Enemy Player: 1 Point
    Deduction for Death: 0 Point

How trophies are awarded in Capture the Flag: (each team's top performers)
    Capture the Most Flags: Minimum 1 Flag Capture

Kill the Most Enemy Players: Minimum 5 Kills
    Heal the Most Damage: Minimum 250hp (Only applies to healing other players) **Currently bugged on teams of 4+. Staff manually awards, when possible, until resolved.**

Item use in Capture the Flag: **No Items Drop On Death**
    The following items are considered Free Use in Capture the Flag: (Free Use means the item will not be consumed on use or take damage if worn/used)
    Armor, Weapons and Clothing
    Heal, Cure and Refresh Potions
    Bandages
    All Reagents

Arrows and Bolts
    The following items will be consumed on use in Capture the Flag:
    Poison, Explosion, Strength and Agility Potions
    Food items
    Magic Wands

Tips for success in Capture the Flag:
    Record a macro in Razor of double-clicking the flag and set it to a hotkey. Staff has placed a flag in the waiting area for just such a task. This will allow you to pick up an enemy flag without stopping to manually double-click on it. When you reach your base, providing your flag is still there, you can use the same hotkey to "use" the flag you are carrying and target your team flag.

Make Hot Keys for Target Nearest Enemy and Attack Last Target in Razor (if you don't already have them)
    Make Hot Keys for Wall of Stone and Dispel Field spells

Make sure you have plenty of trapped pouches

Make a "CTF Bag" for your character's bank. Banks are accessible in the waiting area and no stealing is allowed. Keep a set of your best armor, weapons, and one of each Free Use resource, in a pouch/bag so you are always ready to go.

Get a headset and communicate with your teammates!

Get Mumble
    m.uorenaissance.com
    Port: 36334

I welcome any questions or additions to this guide in reply or PM. Thanks to all who have helped in testing and reporting bugs as they surface.
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Arnold Lutz likes this.
  2. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

All that green text burns the retinas.
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Done.
    Vlar likes this.
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump for great justice
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I'd suggest a template section too, and some tips on what type of character to use for what type of role.

Off the top of my head, I feel like:

Heal Mage: best for flag capturing
    Tank Mage: best for killing
    Dexer: best for big hits to put people into mage range, or to follow someone with purple potions and do damage while they run away.
    Stun mage: best for healing teammates and assisting flag capturers

...but this is just based off of 10 or so CTFs.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Heal/Scribe Mages are probably the best template possible based on the double-reflect bonus. With endless heal potions, bandages and meditation you can be a solid runner, if you know how to watch for synchs and screen them as needed.

If you're not into all that footwork, you're also much more likely to pull off solid base defense if you have at least one other person ready to dump mana on anyone who comes near the flag.

That being said, I have a ton of fun on my scribe macer with 100/60/65 stats and full invuln plate. I pull up reflect, hit a white pot, start a bandage and roll out. By the time I take some damage my bandage kicks and I'm ready to start another, hit yellow pot, mini heal if needed and otherwise just run like a beast slapping anyone I see along the way with a face full of war hammer.

In reality, being a runner is as easy as having a flag-pick macro and some fortunate timing (or solid cross heals). If you're heading to the enemy base alone, you're much more likely to die...providing the enemy isn't vacated and busy swarming your own base.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

What would be a template for a Heal/Scribe mage?
  8. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Magery, Med, Resists, Anatomy, Eval, Healing, Scribe
  9. bart simpson

bart simpson Well-Known Member

Bump for Capture The Flag knowledge!
  10. Lemac

Lemac Active Member

Bump
    Sayer likes this.