The Newbie/Refresher Guide to PvP

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Blaise, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hail Adventurers and all!
    I wrote this initially as some supportive information for guildmates. However, I feel it appropriate to modify for general audiences as I think it will bring a lot of fun to the shard if more folks take this as at least a starting point to survival and/or fighting back in earnest. Good luck out there and PLEASE post a reply with additional insight or helpful combat tips.
    I implore the veteran players to do so as much as possible. They should understand that sharing what they know will only improve PvP in the field. So please, paste that macro, share that setting, point out that thing you have been doing for 10+ years that gives you an edge in battle. Don't be afraid that someone else may use your tactics, be proud to see it being used in the field.

Party System and UO Positioning and Health Bars:
    USE IT, seriously, I cannot stress how beneficial this is to combat, ESPECIALLY if you can't be in Ventrillo/Mumble/Voice Chat. Many do it already, but even with anyone you ally with, throw a "/add" (in game) and get that party going, or ask "Does anyone have a party up?".

In Razor, on the General Tab, bottom left corner, you will find the Open UO Positioning System button. UOAM is nice, but UOPS shreds in the case of performance and simplicity. This system keeps a marker up for everyone in the Party, like UOAM without all the linking.

Get HEALTH BARS, try making a habit of pulling up player health bars before you even start talking, ie: as soon as they are on screen. You never know when a player may need a heal or a purple pot to the face.

Fun Tip: HOLD ALT and DOUBLE CLICK to detatch health bars from each other.

Voice and External Communications:
    USE IT, seriously :p Get a headset with a mic, if you don't have one. They're like $20 for what you need and up to a couple hundred for spoiled awesomesauce. In the very least, if you are engaging in group combat, get into your group's voice chat and LISTEN. You don't need to say anything to cast spells on time or know when it's time to change tactics with the group. Voice is truly essential to high level group combat in UO and many other games, if you want to be as successful as possible.

Stick around in IRC, stay in your respective guild channel and pay attention to call-outs for PKs on the roll.
    Communicate, collaborate and dominate. ;)

Dress Items:
    If you are a weapon user, or a blessed mask wearer, you need Dress Items. In the Arm/Dress tab in Razor, add an item for each weapon or item with the Add buttons. Make sure you have 'Automatically remove conflicting items' checked. On Caramon, I have three weapon dress items. Halberd, Axe and Sword. The neat thing is that you can add multiple items 'by type' to the list and the system will 'look for' any one of them. For example, I have two handed axe, double axe and large battle axe so no matter what type I restock with, I'm ready to rock. It is random though, so be careful if you loot some booty item and it matches one of your Dress keys.
    Now just go to the Hotkeys tab and set keys for each on the Toggle option. On my Med Macer, I have only two, warhammer and qstaff. It's F9 and Alt+F9. Granted, I have a Logitech G510 keyboard, so that's not the same as your F9.
    When fighting disarm thieves, this is essential. I had faught a guy in Skara for like 20 minutes once who was repeatedly trying to take my axe. I keep my paperdoll up and as soon as it dropped, I hit my Toggle key.
    In order for this to work properly, you'll need to manually time it, or use Object Delay in Razor. On the More Options tab in Razor, set your Object Delay to 1000 and try to toggle from one weapon to another. If it works smoothly, reduce the Object Delay time bit by bit until you get the fastest possible swap, without getting a message about "You must wait to perform another action". This also comes into play with Restock Agents, where the delay needs to be enough to get all the items in the agent. If your delay is too low, you'll miss items regularly.

Resources and Restocking:
    Restock Agents are awesome and if you're not restocking with them yet, you should be. On most of my combative characters, my primary Restock Agent is as follows:
    50 of Each Reagent and Bandages (this can probably be balanced better in time, but has suited me well thus far)
    10 Each: Agility, Strength and Refresh
    15 Heals and 30 Cures (Poison is the bane of any long fight. Do not be caught unprepared to cure)
    I have hotkeys set for Heal/Refresh/Cure pots, BandageSelf and Use Bandage (for targetting others). If you are clicking anything, you're likely to die faster.
    I built a simple macro that I use on all my fighters, called Buffs. It reads: Double Click Blue (by type), pause 0.5s, Double Click White (by type), pause 0.5s, BandageSelf.
    When I encounter an opponent I can either land an opening blow, then hit that, or if I have enough (1s lead time) hit it before them. I end up with my Str buffed and already have a bandage ticking for any impending damage. I have this macro set to a single hotkey and if I have to use Str/Agi otherwise, I just click them.

Target Keys:
    I have Target Nearest Grey (F6) (for managing mobs/thieves), Target Nearest Enemy (Ctrl+F5) (War/Faction/PvP Event opposition aka Oranges), Target Nearest Murderer (F5) (Reds), Target Self (F3) and Target Closest Friendly (Ctrl+F3), on all combative characters.

I keep Attack Last Target on CTRL+F6 on all of my characters. This is mostly useful on melee characters for engaging targets quickly without healthbars.
    I've started using Last Target on all characters on Mouse Wheel Up. It suits well for tossing purps on the run personally.

Admittedly, I still manually target a lot of times, especially in tight group combat where we are attempting to focus on a target. In longer fights, having all the enemy health bars up will help you spot windows of opportunity where a fast target change could turn the tides for you.

Trapped Pouches and UseOnce:
    Carry 5 or more pouches, by themselves, within another pouch. (I tend to carry around 10+ but have seen others pack way more)
    Cast Magic Trap on them, or have someone do it for you.
    Set a hotkey for UseOnceAgent, under the Razor Hotkeys Tab, under Agents, at the bottom.
    In Razor, Agents Tab, go to UseOnce and either add each trapped pouch manually, or use Add Container (best). If there is ANYTHING else in the container, it will also be added. If you opened one of the containers before you trapped it, you can put your reagents/potions inside that AFTER adding it to the UseOnce queue.
    Now that you have your pouches trapped and added to the queue, any time you are paralyzed by the Paralyze SPELL ONLY, hit your Use Once Hotkey. Paralyzing Blow (fencing) and Stun Punches, cannot be broken. You have to wait it out.

Surviving the 'dump':
    Knowing when it's coming isn't nearly as tricky as living through it. However, when you see your opponent 'load up' the Explosion spell or other 6th Circle or higher spell, be ready for a big influx of damage. If you're not already damaged, and you can pull it off fast enough, pot up and get your bandage rolling (see Buffs macro above). If they are opening with a weapon hit, you'll be already working on that damage by the time it lands. If you're under 60% while your bandage is still ticking, hit your Heal pot (or Cure then Heal pot if poisoned). If more damage is coming, start spamming your miniheal/cureself key until that bandage finishes.That's kind of long winded, but to put it simply:
    Bandage, Pots, Mini, to survive most mana dumps.
    If two or more opponents are synched on you, you might barely survive, but not likely. Fighting a single opponent, unless you miss a beat (and believe me, timing is everything, so practice those keys), you can survive anything they can throw at you (including purps and wands).

Purps and Wands:
    I guess a clever macro for purples, is really based on your ping time. There's no magic number that will make your purple potions bazooka rounds with %100 accuracy. I believe Mes posted up a macro at one point that was Cancel Current Target, Use Purple, Cancel Current Target, pause 3.12s, Last Target. That could be way off, but it was something like that. Point being, you can make them fairly automatic, but it's risky because if you lag slightly, you're blowing up.
    I've gotten accustomed now to having purple potions on CTRL+MouseWheel Down, this prevents accidentally tossing them (it happened a few times). Then, providing I've engaged someone already, I just roll mouse wheel up when I see the 1 and hope for the best.

Wands are a bit more complicated but still stupid easy. Add Dress Items (see above) for each type, I have LWand and HWand, and I make those uniformly on all my combat characters that will use them. This way I only have to have a single macro for each type, in my macro list. The macro calls up the dress item by name and it doesn't care what profile you're on. I have a macro for them both that is Dress Item: *wand type*, Pause 0.25s, Exec: Use Item in Hand. (remove the wait for target when you record this). I bind GHeal to an Alt of my natural GHeal Spell key (F2, wand is CTRL+F2), so it was easy to adapt. What I get is a 0.5s pause and a reticle that I can GHeal on the run with.
    Same thing goes for Lightning. Hit that guy until he was %90 dead and now he's running? Slap that LWand key and Last Target a few times, you should be good to go.

Anway, this was all written by a dexxer nerd. I would welcome feedback from anyone who wishes to help me and everyone else reading this get better at UO. There's a lot of talk of 'who's bad' and 'who's good' and quite frankly, who cares? Let's all get out there and fight. I have no desire to keep secret sauce combat techniques in a 15 y/o game. Let's help everyone learn and we can all have more and better fights. :)

Hail Renaissance!!

EDIT: Additional Tips
    Make profiles for every character or character type you have, in Razor. Having customized profiles for each character allows you to tailor the restock agents, hotkeys and dress items to that character specifically.

-Updated 8-9-15
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  2. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Thanks Lib,
    I dug the archive.org for tapion's guide:
    UOASSIST is NOT legal to use on UO:Renaissance, adapt to Razor as needed
    Advanced Mage PvP Tutorial
    Dedicated to the UO Power Gamers website
    (and all the people that think pvp is 90% connection)
    Author: Tapion (ICQ: 9023357)

Note: This template will not teach you how to GM skills, use potions or raise anything but your PvP skill. This includes every trick and tip I use this holds NOTHING back no secrets kept this is all of it (this is really gonna piss off alot of Vet PvPers). I am referring to real Vets, playing for 3 years doesn't make you a Vet trust me, the population of vets now are probably some where along the lines of 1/3000.

The reason I am writing this tutorial is because it seems I will be moving do a different location pretty soon and it is way out in the middle of no where so even a dial up connection wouldnt be good enough to play any online game since its miles away from the phone office and the static is bad. Besides it's time for me to grow up and start my life I should not be sitting at home playing UO anyway.

Character Template:
    All mages should have the following skills:

· Magery
    · Meditation
    · Magicresist
    · Eval Int
    · Wrestling
    · Inscribe

I know that some of you think that healing/anatomy is the way to go and if thats what you like more power to you but without inscribe your dueling performance is degraded. The 7th skill is really up to you, I personally use poisoning but it really isnt something I need.

Now for stats there are hundreds of arguments to the perfect stats and all of them are very valid and im not going to sit here and tell you a specific stat setting. Just make sure that after you buff you have at least 100 int or your mana regain will be too slow to be a effective fighter. Also its a good idea to have at least 100 strength after buff as well. 100str 100int and 25dex is a great stat setting but do not expect to use it and survive unless you are a very experienced player because you will be hurt if you cant take the damage. On the other hand its obviously the best template against a warrior so feel free to use it when you become experienced enough.

Settings:
    Your settings are a very very very important part of PvP just remember my quote "Milliseconds matter". You want to make macros for every spell you use so that you can cast them quickly when you need them. Offensive spells that you commonly use (3rd circle and up EXAMPLE: poison, para, explosion, ebolt, flamestrike, mindblast) should be placed on the F keys (I will explain in a moment).
    NOTE: Set your keyboard settings Repeat Delay: Short / Repeat Rate: Fast (If your system gives you that annoying ding noise when your holding down a combination of keys just remove the sound for it in the sound control panel.

NOTE: all macros should be easily accessed with your left hand (assuming your right hand is used for the mouse) MEANING NO CTRL \ MACROS I recommend not passing TGB.

You really want your last target, target self, and clear queue(if you use that uoa feature) on your mouse. I personally recommend the Microsoft Intellieye Explorer but any mouse that has 3 extra buttons (yes that includes the wheel) will work. On my Explorer mouse I can set my buttons to push keys...my setting is F10 F11 and F12 for the 3 extra buttons which comes out to be Clear Queue, Target Self, and Last Target. If you dont want to spend money on a mouse UOA will allow you to set last target and target self on your mouse wheel (EXAMPLE: Mouse wheel up/Mouse wheel down). If you have a 2 button mouse with no wheel i strongly recommend you upgrade because your way past the times....but if you insist on keeping it make sure you put your target keys on your F keys.

WARNING: DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT SET YOUR TARGET KEYS ON YOUR MOUSE IF YOUR NOT GOING TO USE QUEUE TARGET IN UOASSIST. (You cant hold down the target button when its on a mouse because it wont repeat the key like it would if it was on the keyboard....and yes those "milliseconds matter")

WARNING: Holding down keys doesnt work on every keyboard. The keyboard I use personally is the Microsoft Internet Keyboard it cost me 15 dollars.

Now let me explain Queue Target for uoassist, this feature will remember the target button you pushed and push it automatically as soon as uoassist realizes that the target is up (thats faster than you see it 99% of the time). Is it faster than holding down the target key? NO but holding down a mouse button wont repeat itself so its very useful when your using mouse buttons. Its pretty useful when your pushing keyboard keys too (not quite as much as a key on the mouse though) since it keeps your fingers free from holding down the target button but just remember to set a clear queue button that you can push fast otherwise you may heal your opponent or cast a offensive spell on yourself by accident. So it does have it's ups and downs but I do recommend using it in all conditions (if you can get use to it that is...PRACTICE).

Alright now back to the F keys the reason your offensive spells should be on the F keys is because if you set them to CTRL ALT or SHIFT combinations you wont be able to hit last target while your holding down the spell and yes "milliseconds matter". You will understand when I go into attacking details.

Spells: (quick review of my favorite spells)
    Mindblast - This spells damage depends on the difference between the HIGHEST and LOWEST stats - max damage of 40
    Explosion - The main combo spell (Play it off tactics) - 47
    Ebolt - Damage spell - 49 (thats right people you heard me FOURTY NINE not 42)
    Flamestrike - Good damage spell can be used to combo because of its long delay for damage - Max Damage Unknown but its estimated to be 60
    Meteor Swarm - WTF Meteor Swarm? who gives a shit about meteor swarm? I do because it takes so damn long for the damage to take effect it will allow you to poison the person while the damage is still being applied making it good for a combo spell (warning the damage variance is big and you can not use last target on the target after you use the spell on him)

Attacking:
    First let me say that im not going to put alot of anti dex monkey tactics to let me get that out of the way right now. Arch protection / Reactive Armor against big slow weapons, Arch protection / Protection against fast weapons. You should always have GM leather on against warriors. No matter how good you become a fencer with a spear will always have a chance to beat you....don't like it? Tell it to OSI

Note: Protection with GM inscribe will stop like 8/10 disturbs so USE IT against mages and use it against fast swinging weapons.

Note: If your using balanced stats to avoid MB damage the first spell your going to want to cast is probably bless at the least cunning

Alright lets start this off now, when your fighting a mage with stats of 95-100 95-100 25-35 you want to raise their highest stat (intelligence) and lower their lowest stat (dex) you then want to weaken him just so that you can start off the attack with him at lower health. Let me tell you right now that you do not need to use explosion against these characters you can if you want but its really not needed. After he is debuffed the mindblasts will do 40 damage or very very close to it but remember that the damage is delayed on a mindblast so often he can get a greater heal through the mindblast this is where double casting comes into play (thats right people double casting and no its not a bannable offense because OSI made the limit so you cant cast spells immediately but with double casting the first spell is delayed so the second spell can go fast hense by passing the delay that OSI set to prevent people from casting several spells in a row like the old fireball days).

In order to double cast you need to cast the first spell and wait about 2.2 seconds after the target cursor comes up then target cast the next spell immediately then target again. Its a good idea to hold down the 2nd spell after you push the macro for the first spell (thats why I stressed earlier that its important to have offensive spells on the F keys so you will be able to push the target for the first spell after waiting 2.2 seconds while holding down the second spell). Lets experiment now to see if you have it right...find a dog cat or anything that will survive 2 mindblasts and set him on last target.

Double mindblast attack: Push your macro for mindblast and hold it down wait 2.2 seconds after the cursor comes up then hit your target macro (still holding down the mindblast macro) now as soon as the second mindblast spell casts hold down the target key (if your using Queue Target just push the button and it will automatically target when the cursor comes up). The first mindblast will hit and then the second one will hit before the first mindblasts sound finishes playing (you like that don't you? Well read on because that ain't all I have to teach you) If it didnt work...try holding the spell for more than 2.2 seconds...hell try 8 seconds just so you can test that your doing everything else right.

Mindblast, Poison, Double Mindblast Combo

>Heres how its done....Push your Mindblast macro and then immeditately hold down your poison macro.....2.2 seconds after the cursor comes up target him then it will cast poison and let go of the poison macro key and hold down the last target (you dont need to hold it down if your using Queue Target on UOA) you will then poison him so fast that even if the poor guy preped greater heal he will have no time to heal the damage (assuming the poison applied). ....if he casted agility while you casted that first mindblast now is the time to cast clumsy (specially since it will disturb his cure) now go for the double mindblast quick (shown above)! If the guy is really fast he might be able to still cure and greater heal after you poison him but thats some pretty small odds and if the poison disturbed his first cure he is DEAD there is no way he will live its impossible if you did it correctly.

NOTE: A combo I like to use against the not so talented players is Cunning, Explosion, Weaken, Poison, Clumsy, Double mindblast. Gets them all the time.

Lets go back for a second and assume (because I do not want to leave anything out) he casted cure very fast and you think that his greater heal will be casted before you kill him. If you unequip your spell book you can cancel the spell your casting immediately and cast another one which you can use to disturb his greater heal and poison him again.

Warning: The target cursor might still be there even though you cancelled your spell just hit ESC or target it.

Now heres where the problems come, when your fighting someone with stats designed to avoid mindblast damage (Im going to teach you how to bring them to their knees). The first thing they are going to do in a battle is probably bless at the least they will cast cunning so they can gain mana at a decent rate. The first spell you want to cast is feeblemind to screw their mana regain rate...hell do it again if they blessed or casted cunning so their int is as low as possible making their mana regain slow if they cast cunning again feeble them again rememeber that your gaining mana fast and spending less mana, they are gaining mana slow and spending more mana. This concept applies with strength as well as long as you keep their int low keep their strength low too there isnt anything they can do about it other than to waste their mana. Remember that even if they cast strength they are still damaged from the weaken. Your primary spells of attack are going to be explosion, ebolt, poison and occasionally FS/Meteor Swarm if you think the situation is right.

NOTE: dont forget double casting you can use it to send 2 ebolts (just like mindblast but with the ebolt macro) or send FS and then poison immediately or Meteor Swarm and poison immediately after it.

Now lets talk about some combos against these guys......these guys are FUN to fight I love fighting people with balanced stats its much more of a variance than just casting poison/mindblast.

A simple combo is Explosion, double ebolt you hold the target 2.2 seconds after the explosion then cast ebolt and hold it 2.2 seconds then target and then cast ebolt and target that will do a explosion it will hit then immediately a ebolt hits and another hits after it. If he is still alive after that dont be afriad to poison and send another ebolt. If the guy prepares a greater heal dont bother with it just cast poison or use my "play it off tactics" (Inspired by Ba Ba Booey a very very talented player). Lets go into the play it off tactics now...

Play it off tactics... Whats that do? Play it off tactics are used to trick your opponent and should be done with 2 explosions. Here is a example Player A (you) is fighting Player T (for trash talker hehehe) playing A has protection on and casted explosion but player T casted weaken to disturb it. Player T thinks he disturbed it but he really didnt so player A waits a lil bit and targets the explosion and immediately player A casts another explosion a second after Player T sees the words he will think your recasting the spell he just disturbed and then after it the first explosion hits you still have your explosion casted (you want to target the 2nd explosion as soon as you see the first explosion hit) . If the player is really dumb or thinks he lagged he might think that the 2nd explosion you just casted was the one you hit him with you then go into a ebolt...or even double ebolt if you want cause he wont know what the hell is going on if you tricked him good enough.

NOTE: This tactic is alot better than it seems and it will trick vets all the time its very hard to catch until its too late as long as you play it off good. Currently I only know 3 people that use this tactic so its not common at the moment. I am sure if everyone starts using it, it will be alot easier to catch.

NOTE: this can also work if he casted greater heal as soon as I casted explosion and I just sit there and wait (up to a max of like 30 seconds though) he will usually cancel the heal thinking I cancelled the explosion.

Defense:
    "The best defense is a good offense" yeah well I bet the guy that said that wasnt thinking about a game where you are limited by your Mana. If you just nearly killed your opponent or some how have low mana do not attempt to strike on him not even poison because sometimes he wont stop to cure.

When an opponent is casting a spell like explosion and you have plenty of mana to spare dont be afriad to cast poison on him and use that poison to debuff him a bit and maybe even follow it with a complete attack. Like I stated in the Attack section of this tutorial if your fighting a dude with balanced stats keep him debuffed it drives them crazy. Disturbing the second spell is usually the best move if your opponent is say...casting explosion poison or explosion ebolt or even explosion mindblast dont be afriad to poison him to disturb the second spell you can quickly heal the explosion damage making him waste that important mana.

There is really no super advice I can give you to be a great defender just keep your protection up and remember that minor heal can not be disturbed (well I have seen the cursor not come up once or twice but I think thats just a bug). It is a good idea to keep up a spell like weaken or clumsy and cast it if you see your opponent getting ready for a double (if he holds a spell) or if you notice the guy trying to do the "play it off tactic". Preping a greater heal is not always the best way to go remember your objective is not just to stay alive its to stay alive and making him waste his mana only a fool would. The mindblast spell has delayed damage so just because you dont think you have time to cast a greater heal through it doesnt mean it cant be done.

Tips: (and reviews)
    · Lightning is a fast spell and can do up to 24 damage dont be afriad to try to finish a player with it if you dont have 14 mana.
    · Do not expect easy kills even with the combos I gave you they are just basic guide lines to give you a idea of how to attack you will usually have to bend them to your opponents reactions.
    · Double casting flamestrike/poison or MeteorSwarm/Poison or Mindblast/Poison is a good way to get free damage however Flamestrike/Poison has a tiny tiny gap that can be healed through.
    · Queue target is a nice UOA feature that can be helpful as long as you learn to use it properly. Specially when using mouse buttons to target.
    · Play honorable its a known fact that dishonorable players never make it to the top and I have yet to lose to a trash talker (in a duel...so that doesnt include the homos running around with a million potions clothes of invis and reflect and with a vanq spear)
    · If you lose to a player do not make a excuse for your defeat keep trying to battle the opponent pay attention to everything and "absorb" his tactics and improve to them.
    · Fear tactics do work if your opponent is afriad of you he will lose, confidence is required to play at full skill. (Inspired by vegeta hehehe)
    · To Remove Reactive Armor equip a heavy piece of armor and wait about a minute (Special Thanks to Haze for being a argumentive Bas....I mean nice guy)
    · Some players spend their time trying to disturb every spell a opponent casts...thats a waste of mana dont bother.
    · Remember that your mouse wheel can be used to target with UOA (Special thanks to Tory AKA White E from chesa for that info)
    · Protection against fast weapons and mages. RA against slow and heavy damage weapons.
    · When you run across a server line with a spell casted all you have to do is unequip your spell book and you can cast again.
    · Duels are not suppose to have potions in them!
    · Warriors are really homos that want to play a character based on luck =)
    · While I have seen people on 28k hold their own....to be up to the game speed you really should have at least 100ms ping.
    · Sometimes you can use Minor Heal too much for your own good.
    · Teleporting and hiding is good for chickens.
    · While mana drain and mana vampire are pretty cheap spells but they are often resisted alot dont be afriad to use it. Its very "iffy" so to speak in duels usually your opponent wont call on you for using it but sometimes they will and basically its considered unhonorable to use that spell in a duel so make sure you stop if he says so.
    · Minor Heal cant be disturbed.
    · Make sure you tab out before your meditate otherwise your opponent will walk by you and make you cancel your meditation.
    · Paralyze doesnt work if your casting a spell while it hits you.

Join us in the UO Power Gamers Chat
    Client: http://www.mirc.com
    Server: irc.stratics.com
    Channel: #uopowergamers
    BlackEye likes this.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

How does your macro or Dress know which type is which? I think there's 4 types of wands, of which your GHeal might be type A and your Lightning might be type B, but then on another character it might be the opposite.

Don't have razor in front of me, but is this a settable hotkey? I don't recall seeing this before.

What criteria helps determine whether it's more appropriate to use Explosion potions or a Lightning wand? I have not figured that out yet, on this shard or any other, though I lean towards explosion potions.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Dalavar, in the case of the wands, I do not use them 'by Type', I use exact items in the dress list. Based on the infrequency of use, it is fairly simple to just go in and add the replacement item when charges are depleted. I had pondered this for a bit when I first started using them, and that's the best I came up with. Efficiency suggestions welcome. :)

Cancel Current Target is the fourth item in the list under Hot Keys\Targets in Razor.

I think the criteria would be resource availability. While you can create potions at will, with the proper resources, you cannot create the wands. Wands require far less finesse as there is no timer to work with, just use item/target and if they are in range, they are getting hit. I think, in short, wands>purps due to those factors, but rocking both is handy and not much of a burden.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

For wands, that's my solution as well. Your wording was vague enough to give me hope that there might be a better solution though, so I figured I'd explore.

For explosion potions vs. lightning wands, I'm not sure what the create-ability of each has anything to do with it... surely you can farm gold which gives you access to either. Given the short action delay here (~670 ms, or something like that, you guys said?), that's a big benefit to the lightning wand. I also noticed that they tend to come with charges in the teens here, at least the half-dozen or so that I've found. Still, casting at 60 magery and 0 eval would lead to some highly-resistable, low-damage lightning bolts. Maybe it's close enough that it is a personal preference thing. If you can rapid-fire the wands, you'll do better with them. If you can time the purples right, you'll do better with them. I dunno.
  7. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I understand the idea behind double-casting but this explanation confuses me (possibly a typo.) Can someone help clarify this please? This is what I've gathered so far..

Cast MB and wait for target cursor,
    Wait 2.2 seconds,
    Cast MB again,
    Target first MB onto target,
    Target second MB onto target (as soon as allowed)

Am I on the right track? Also, I thought I read something about "holding down" something..
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Hi Baine,
    I didn't actually write that, I just copied it from an internet archive where the original person who wrote it had posted.

To clarify, you cast a spell, wait a bit, click/hotkey your target and immediately cast a follow up spell and click/hotkey your target as soon as possible.
    I suppose this works with MB as well but I've seen it most used with EBs. Bring up an EB, re-equip weapon, land a decent damage hit, drop weapon, target EB, cast/target second EB as fast as you can. It's pretty nasty but effective.
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump because I read this every time I think I'm gonna pvp again :p
  10. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Do it.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump because HateCrime is a newb.
    BlackEye likes this.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump because I saw some dude thinking about pvping and whatnot.
  13. Sockz

Sockz New Member

Awesome guide, keep having to refer to it! I created macros to toggle axes, totally forgot about the arm/dress tab in razor :p
    Blaise likes this.