The Rat Valley Patrol

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Alex Caember, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

To Sir Martius, Captain of the Guard,

Captain,

This evening First Knight Sir Edric Ayton assembled a small patrol to investigate the rumored rising of ratmen in a small valley due south of the town of Yew. The gathered patrol consisted of myself, Sir Edric, Alexander (a newer citizen of the Great Council), and a woman I have not met before by the name of Atropa. She did not... look quite well. She seemed somewhat sickly, but there was an unnerving quality about her. I know not from where she hailed, but she wished to accompany us on our patrol. With our group together, we made our way to the Yew moongate.

Upon arriving we were met with an innoccuous crate left by the moongate. We looked around for a potential owner for the crate but nobody else was about. The crate was designated to be hauled back to the Great Council Vault for storage.

[​IMG]

After our initial boon of hatchets, we made our way due south by south-east to meet up with the local guardsmen. When asked if they have seen the rumored uprising of ratmen, they declined to comment on the situation.

[​IMG]

Heading out from the guard tower with no pertinent information, we followed the road eastwards a ways until we were attacked by a harpy and a giant spider. What arrangement those two made to work together eludes us.

[​IMG]

Upon entering the valley, the rumors proved to be qutie true! We saw before us a great many rat men of various sizes and colors. Upon spotting us, they immediately attacked and a melee quickly ensued.

[​IMG]

The rats poured through the trees and were met with spear, halberd, arrow, and poison (It would seem Atropa had some tricks up her sleeve...)

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

After a great deal of fighting, we subdued the rise of ratmen, but we discovered that they were not working alone here. Evidence of orcs nearby led us to a cave in the western side of the valley. It was decided that the job would not be left half-done and we would investigate further...

[​IMG]

Upon entering we were immediately set upon by the fiendish orcs!

[​IMG]

It appeared to us that the orcs had created an entire fortification inside the cave, but to what end?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As we plunged deeper into the cave fort, a great mob of detestable orcs came to meet us. In the resulting clash, I am afraid, we lost our new friend Alexander...

[​IMG]

The orcs were determined to keep us out... but what were they hiding?

[​IMG]

The forges we found, and anvils led us to a large chamber of arms and armor... Were the orcs supplying the ratmen top-side with weapons? Were they preparing for an attack? We knew that we had to stop them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At last we reached the bottom of the orc-infested pit. Their mining operation at the bottom appeared to provide the raw materials for the upper levels to produce weapons - these weapons being used by both the orcs and rat men in the valley.

[​IMG]

With the tunnels cleared and not an orc grunt or slobber heard (save for the puckering of blood-filled stab wounds), we made our way back to the surface. We dealt a strong blow to the combined forces of orcs and ratmen, but I suspect we have not seen the last of them.

We returned to Empath Abbey to rest.

[​IMG]

It is my humble suggestion that another patrol head to this area in the future to ensure that the forces here do not rise up again. If left unchecked, who knows what harm might befall the Realm?

-Martyn Caember
    Guardsman of the Great Council
  2. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing your adventures. I enjoy reading them.

Oh, and FYI, I heard some kinda rumor that a horde of harpies have threatened the citizens of Minoc?
    I dunno... prolly nothing.
    Halabinder, Lord Krake and Jupiter like this.
  3. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

Harpies... this will need to be investigated!
  4. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This story has been added to the oral history of Paws.

MEMORIZED!​
    wylwrk likes this.