The Rights of UO Renaissance players

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Valient, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Valient

Valient Active Member

Rights aren’t granted by the Administrator, per si. They arise because the populace decides to grant them to themselves. Players must be considered as real individuals, they are the members who shape a virtual model . As long as the ultima online community is convinced that players have rights, this will suffice.

The ultimate right of the administrator to shape and define the code of conduct should always be present, but every member of this community has the right to contribute in the shaping of the code of conduct . A model without the members cannot act as a model. It is clear that the administrator has the duty and responsibility to work with the community to arrive at a code of conduct that is generally shaped by the input of the community.

For many years, there have been several cases where the administrator's performance was questioned, not by a singular group of people, but by majority. Let's focus a bit on my case..

I was jailed for luring monsters into several towns. I submitted my actions to majority vote, due to a vaguely written code of conduct.

If the staff notices pattern of behavior that indicate to us that a player does not appreciate their access to the Renaissance server and exist here only to torture others for their own amusement you will be removed from the community.

We could all assume, that we have little to none information on what type of behavior they refer to. In this case, the Staff doesn't clearly specify which pattern of behaviour. A community that does not know the standards by which the administrators use their power is a community which permits its administrators to have no standards, and is therefore a community abetting in tyranny.

In my case, I suffered discrimination. My rights as a solo character/solo account user were violated. He referred to me as an insignificant individual, inviting me to leave the server, because I had nothing to lose, which in this case was completely wrong. I tried to understand his point of view. He does have the right to shape and define this server, but it all fell apart when he described me as a psycho who exploited his playground.

As mentioned previously, I submitted my actions to the whole community, so that the community itself could raise its voice. By presenting a poll, we all had our chance to vote if this was correct or not. Nearly 65% voted No.

The Administrator did not take part in the vote, even worse he hardened the standards without consulting the community. A virtual community with no rights, has no constitution at all.

Generally speaking, the Administrator violated several rights here. The right to exist, as in this case, a person that does NOT enjoy grouping with others. A character that helps other players as much as possible, but disappears later on, ala Mad Max or The Mariner.

And worse yet, not having heard the clamor of the people, right after a vote.

Now let's check this for a moment:

When in doubt, if you think a certain behavior is discouraging to other players, then do not do it.

The whole purpose of a community is to work as a whole, not individually. The Admin himself, forms part of the community.

Should we assume that the owner can do as he pleases without consulting the members that define a community, or should we raise our voices to claim our rights as human beings, not as virtual puppets? Shouldn't we vote before throwing out a community member, for example?
    jackwinters likes this.
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Staff doesn't have the time (and is not paid) to address everything like its a legal case.
    Jethro, MikeK, Miatrio and 2 others like this.
  3. eherruh

eherruh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Yes. You inhabit his sandbox and are at his mercy. Do not treat your direct messages to him as a confessional either.

You have no rights here. Just be happy this place exists at all and enjoy your time here as you see fit, knowing it could be taken from you at any time.
    Avery, Jethro, Xavant_BR and 10 others like this.
  4. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Is this for real?
    Avery, Thorin, PaddyOBrien and 3 others like this.
  5. Valient

Valient Active Member

The code of conduct is the expression of the general will of the community. The aim of virtual communities is to provide its citizens with rights.
    jackwinters likes this.
  6. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Uhh you do know this place is NOT a Democracy...

It is a benevolent Monarchy at best and can seem like a dictatorship to those who just don't want to get along...
    Avery, Steady Mobbin, Leopold and 3 others like this.
  7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You’re mad you got punished for luring monsters into town?
    Why are you luring monsters into town?
    Avery, Pharoah, Kiryana and 1 other person like this.
  8. eherruh

eherruh Well-Known Member

Wrong. The audience for the Code of Conduct is the player base, not the administration nor the owner.

The aim of any community governance is to simply provide a rule set that maintains harmony.

You can scream about your rights until you're blue in the face, it won't change the fact that the only power you have to exercise here is whether to be here at all.
    Avery, Pharoah, Plentimon and 2 others like this.
  9. TreeHugger

Bro, you cant come back from this. This might be the most babyish thing I've ever seen. And, we have had ShadowJack in residence here. Unbelievable.

There's literally no coming back from this. You're now and will always be that guy who cried for 8 pages on the forums.
    Hawkeye and Jill Stihl like this.
  10. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Well-Known Member

@Valient if your looking for something a little more productive then luring monsters in town you could mine up a few 100k in ingots for me. I got a ton for bods that need filled
    Basoosh, Salick, shad and 3 others like this.
  11. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Be meaningful in real life, and uor is an insignificant part of our irl.

Tell him: let him go to the penis, but keep playing and bring the monsters into Buccaner’s Dan ...

:kiwi: j
  12. Holden

Holden Well-Known Member

Thread over.
  13. RavenMagi

RavenMagi Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This isn't a democracy, Telemon is not running a business, this isn't a pay to play server. Even if you donate, thats just a donation. We are not a customer, shareholder, board member etc that he has to answer too. You can grant yourself all the rights you want, but that doesn't mean anything. Your argument almost sounds like the sovereign citizen argument, which has never worked.

Is the game perfect? no

Is the game the best UO Ren shard you'll find? yes
    Avery, Miatrio, Alvien and 3 others like this.
  14. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Why would luring monsters into town be a problem anyway? npcs call guards instantly. Sounds like hilarious shenanigans to me, like when Silas Blackeye unleashed EVs into the Occlo town square
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  15. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

16. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Where can I vote on this??
    Where is this 8 page drama thread??? Link it! I must have missed this one.

Would love to hear more context to this monster luring stuff!
  17. TreeHugger

This will be the thread that gets to 8 pages
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  18. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

Hey man, if you come to to my house and play Monopoly with me, then you're playing by my rules.

I'll try to be nice and shit and follow most of the official rules, but at the end of the day it's house rules or you can just GTFO.
    Avery, Alvien, Holden and 2 others like this.
  19. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

i got 1/2 way into that and yea.. This totally sounds like someone got a wedgie and is offended *Sorry*
    21 yr old wizard game that you can cut people into pieces after you murder them as Peace/Landarr said in another post.
    If someone offers you to try out another place it is on the individual that was offered to make their own decision on what they want to do, not write a 13 page summons to a federal court of law. I just gotta LuL at this and hope its just another Facetious act of professional trollism...
    This is the same as someone saying the fork got them fat or it's the guns fault...HaHaHa!

'Cough'
  20. Pill

Pill Well-Known Member

Wasn’t there a patch put in a couple years back to tighten up’ guard security, which essentially made it to where you had to become pretty methodical to do this now, along with simply pking in town?

I don’t pander to anyone and I’ll play devils advocate here by saying I see no problem with it (and I didn’t before the patch/guard zone change). It’s UO and some lessons are learned the hard way, such as park your afk character in a more protected place to avoid death next time.

At the end of the day though, it is what it is, and if Telamon doesn’t like what you’re doing, whether it’s in the rules or not, he’s going to pull you aside over it. Although everyone has their own style of play, and even things like this can be entertaining (believe me, I of all people understand the joy of it). I don’t think that you having fun doing something others see as ‘ nefarious’, while in the confines of the mechanics should be deemed against UOR conduct, but I am pretty opinionated.