The Rusty Anvil Blacksmith's Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by fooka03, Aug 28, 2013.

1. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

[​IMG]
    Hail fellow Sosarians!

Welcome to the first Rusty Anvil guide in a line designed to help budding craftsmen become experts in their craft. In this guide, we will cover the profession of the Blacksmith

* Note: Before starting this guide it is recommended that you have already mastered the arts of both Mining and Tinkering to aid in your efficiency in training this skill.

The profession of the Blacksmith is indeed a noble one. Your wares can help the mighty warriors and knights of the land to slay even the mightiest of foes. Or, if your clientele is more nefarious, they may use your wares to assassinate the unwary and fell adventurers far and wide. Even the shopkeepers in towns will engage you to fill Bulk Order Deeds and offer you great rewards

But enough about that! I'm sure you're all itching to get to striking your iron and improving your skills. Well the first thing you need to do is gather up some supplies. Some ingots of iron, some blacksmith's tools, and some tinkering kits will do to get started. In this guide we prefer to use tongs as they use the least amount of metal to craft leaving more for the task at hand. Here we have the gathered supplies, you'll have to excuse the mess (and what's with the jar of honey?)

[​IMG]

Next, you will need to find a nice, sturdy, anvil and a suitable, blazing hot, forge. Here we see Cash has found one that will do quite well (though you may prefer to use one in the safety of your own home for convenient access to additional supplies).

[​IMG]

Now we can finally get to the meat of the guide! Here is a list of what items will best improve your skill with the ways of metalwork:

• 0-30 Buy skill from a NPC Blacksmith Guildmaster
      30-50 Maces
      50-86 Katanas
      86-GM Platemail Gorgets

* Note: You could also try short spears instead of katanas starting around 70 skill and go up to 90
    * Note: You could also try platemail gloves starting around 95 and go up to GM

Here we see Cash furiously crafting maces with all his might (leave talking to the dead to wimpy mediums and mages!):

[​IMG]

Of course nobody wants to make their hands go numb crafting each item individually. Below you will find a sample macro to help you get started. This will create the item (Mace), smelt it if successful, and replace worn out tools (Tongs).

* Note: You will need to create a counter for the item you are creating in order for the smelt logic to know when to run.
    * Note: For those of you smithing at home, you will want to add your restock call to the beginning of the macro (you'll want enough ingots to craft the item, plus enough for two of your smithing tool of your choice)

Code:
    !Loop
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4027|True
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForGumpAction|949095101|False|5
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|57|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|9|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.PauseAction|00:00:01.1000000
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|50|1|1|mace
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|4027|True
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|14|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.WaitForTargetAction|3
    Assistant.Macros.TargetTypeAction|False|3932
    Assistant.Macros.EndIfAction
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|worn
    Assistant.Macros.DoubleClickTypeAction|7864|True
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|8|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.GumpResponseAction|86|0|0
    Assistant.Macros.IfAction|4|0|45.0
    Assistant.Macros.HotKeyAction|1083|

And that wraps up this guide on Blacksmithy. I hope that you have found this guide informative and helpful. I'll see you next time in the next Rusty Anvil guide!
    Canis and Zyler like this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

As detailed here (viewtopic.php?f=18&t=682&start=60#p18304), I found what I think is a better path.

How many ingots did it take you to GM with your methodology? My best was around 47,600.
  3. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Great guide! Thanks for the post. I'm sure people will make good use of it.
  4. Geo

Geo Active Member

I'm at 41 real skill (46.9 stat adjusted). Cutlass cost 8 45% chance are currently raising faster than Mace cost 6 64% chance.
  5. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

6. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

I just went from 65-91 with 8000 ingots.
  7. Fabio

Fabio New Member

Crafting what item?