The thorough misunderstood tax collector

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Oni Neaufire, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Oni Neaufire

Oni Neaufire Well-Known Member

"Lady Oni," I heard a voice behind me as i entered the Tower of the Eternal Realm. I turned to see Spethas , a promising young squire standing before me. "I have a letter for you," he said.
    He handed it to me and quickly turned a began to walk away. "Wait, and thank you for bringing it to me", I replied. He almost cracked a smile and quickly walked away. "Wonder why he was in such a hurry," I mused to myself.I did notice he carried a bag with several parchments sticking out."He is no doubt on a mission to deliver those," I thought to myself. I turned my attention to the parchment as it had the royal seal of TKB. "Hmm, wonder what this is?' I bent the paper to break the wax seal. Now I know why Spethas was in such a hurry. The message was to the point and short. "Dear Lady Oni, please come to my office so we can discuss your taxes>" It was signed, Hans, Tax Collector. "Not this again, I thought I had just paid these recently. Time sure flies by. Guess I better go take care of this before I get another notice." I made the short trek over to the lLegal Office. As i opened the door, Hans looked up from his desk. Papers were tacked neatly on the desk. Hans is always very punctual and very precise. "Ah, Lady Oni come in. I see you got my note. Spethas is a fine courier don't you think?" Before I could answer, he was already opening a book. "Are you here to discuss your taxes or just pay?" "I..." Clearing my throat, I( started speaking again. "I thought i had just paid these." He quickly thumbed back some pages and turned the book to me. "See here. This is the last time you paid." It was marked and dated some months before. I told you he is very thorough. "guess I just lost track of time," I replied. "How much do I owe?" i asked. As he quoted the number, my purse began to feel very much lighter, and I had not even opened it yet. "I really owe that much?" I replied. "Indeed you do, My Lady." I knew I did not have that much with me. "How much time do I have to pay, Hans?" "Thirty days My Lady." "Is there any way to get these reduced?" I asked. For the first time during our meeting, a smile broke out on his face. "Lady Oni, these figures are accurate and fair and needful. How is the Eternal Realm to be kept running if we do not collect the taxes?" Many oi the buildings and improvements are payed for and maintained by these funds I collect. I wish there was some other way, but I only collect for the betterment of the realm. As you travel through the realm remember that your taxes are helping keep it protected and beautiful." I had never looked at my taxes that way before. "I will have the money for you tomorrow, Hans?" "Thank you Lady Oni," he replied. Oni Neaufire_9-20_20.03.jpg Oni Neaufire_9-20_20.00.jpg Oni Neaufire_9-20_20.01.jpg