The way of the Naturalist

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There was once, in an age beyond count, a time when players would play games for the richness of the journey. You may not be with me when you well up with nostalgia at the thought of the first character you rolled, with real dice and a group of friends. However, I feel the progression of character, not only in statistics, but social interactions is the real meat of the game. I have fun with 'modular template' games, in other ways, but something about Ultima Online brings me back to playing a Role Playing Game naturally, the way the creators intended it. As such, I have a character that I play with the kid in my head that opened the UO package back when table-top was becoming a distant memory and the satisfaction of the journey with my friends was far too infrequent. I call this play style Naturalist and I will try to describe it for you here.

The Naturalist character should be created with the intention to follow the Basic Tenets set forth below, for the most natural Ultima Online experience. This is pretty much an RP basis, but 'character' acting is definitely not required. In fact nothing is required at all. This is an honor system because if you take the easy way out, that's your loss or gain, however you want to see it.

Basic Tenets:
    • No training should be done on the character, short of original skill selection, field use of skills or NPC training (only skills you will actually use, no skillcapping).
    • No handouts from alternate characters (you are only this character and if you require support it should come from other naturalists). This includes, but is not limited to, resources, gold, or any supplies like weapons, armor, bandages, etc. If you didn't acquire it through your own means, it is not naturally gained.
    • Some help (maybe a heal or res here and there) from macro-trained characters in the field is acceptable within reason. No babysitting with heals while you farm high end mobs, for example.
    • Farming is generally discouraged. Heading out in the world to explore and find the riches or rewards you seek is the intention here.
    • No razor Light Level filtration.
    • Characters should be Public using the [publicchar command.

Hardcore Tenets: (This is just the extra mile, if you think yourself hardcore)
    • Razor: No target queueing, dismount blocking, corpse opening, or really anything that would not be found in the game client as a normal option. This goes for range checking, auto equipping, etc. I basically went through Razor and unchecked everything relevant to game play.
    • Quite frankly, go ultra hardcore and just don't play with Razor.
    (Update: I have accepted that I'm too spoiled to look at a little game window and the bandage self function in the 5.0.8 client is broken. As such, I use Razor to expand game window to 1024x768 and have a bandage self and use bandage key set through Razor.)

Right now I'm playing a swordsman warrior with some tailoring so I can eek out a living with what I reap from my sword in the field. I could use the aide of some fellow adventuresome types, in order to venture into the more desolate wild lands where dangerous monsters lurk and treasure abounds.
    (Update: I'm a 3xGM Warrior now rounding up the top of Tactics for 4x. I've dropped Tailoring and learned a bit of magery and music from the local townsfolk. I've played my song of discordance with moderate success on the mountain trolls and other beasties. Friends have come and gone, but the adventure is never far!)

Please, share feedback or suggestions for improvements to the concept.

As suggested by Wulver, I will list below my own and any other Naturalist willing to share their info (PM Me your Char link):
    Sturm
    Zunu'ghuk
    Gabriel Stone
    Aaran
    Grellis
    Moonlit Skynight
    Ekkehard
    Nelvin Skjordal
    Tiophi
    Sentri
    Sophia
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

I second not using razor at all for this purpose and just running the client by itself.

I'm in!
  3. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

I m also in.

Maybe you should consider creating a new guild. The naturalists or sthng.
    Just to prevent a mixing of the chars and items.

And i also think just using the client without razor is the best idea. Also it gives you the old fullscreen feeling back :)
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Well, running without Razor has posed some initial problems. In testing on multiple shards, with different client installations, it would seem the UO Option for BandageSelf is not functional (verified client does not talk to server for the function, with Telamon). Thus, if we are to use a bandage self hotkey, it must be done through Razor.
    As such, I'm inclined to use Razor, and just dumb it down so it's merely an overlay that can replicate functions of the client that are not currently functional, naturally, as they should be.

Gameplay window can still be 800x600 with client alone and does not require full screen play (however hardcore that may be). I will play this character without stretching my game window to 1024x768 like I do normally.

I did consider making a guild for this as well, but honestly, with Faction Time and Society of Traders, Adventure Time is already spreading pretty thin.
    I haven't guilded my guy yet, so perhaps we just make due with the party system for now? It's up for consideration. Nothing is in stone here.

Further notes: I'm not going to turn skills down/lock until I need the points for other skills. As it stands, I have 0.4 Vet and 0.2 Animal Lore from accidentally bandaging the ratman I was fighting. ;)
  5. Eisensaft

Eisensaft New Member

Boy, ratmen are way to strong for my macer yet :)

I can barely kill the zombies and skellettons now with help of my horse.
    But it sure is fun to get the old feeling of the game back.
  6. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

I may consider this myself. Would you be able to buy items from player vendors? Or is everything gathered through your own efforts? For instance... you have to have tailoring or blacksmithing to make your own gear. I'd consider making a fletching LJ archer or something... I dunno. Let me know man, this is a very interesting idea.
  7. Vandyke

Vandyke New Member

As long as you are making the gold yourself and not accepting hand me downs or loans then purchasing from player vendors should be All Good.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yes, buying from Player Vendors is not in violation of the Basic Tenets. Unless of course they are YOUR player vendors and you're selling high end items for 1gp each. :)
  9. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I was thinking of doing this with a character, lost in the lost lands and I could not visit a town, live off the land. May be a long while before I attempt this.
    One likes this.
  10. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

That would definitely be the most hardcore character, ever.
  11. Six

Six Member

I actually played on a server like this once. There were 2 towns, both overrun with red mobs, and you were the outlaw. No homes or vendors, 1 character/account limit. Was pretty fun but unfortunately only 4 people played actively and they ended up shutting it down.
  12. newme

newme Well-Known Member

LOL I have played a form of this most of my UO experience. Since razor is beyond me, I only use
    macros in game (ones can find on paperdoll option window) since must use a hot key for this, if say, I'm macroing hiding, I can't use second account.

Also when I start a new server (back in day shard) all my characters are self supporting, they still are to a large extend. Except when they join their gold to buy a house. But most my characters get their own supplies etc.

It's a fun way to play, and will surprise someone who has never done this, just how fast each
    individual character can build skills and obtain gold on their own. You resort to some very old school ways of gaining gold, selling meat to butcher, etc.

Haven't done it strickly Meaning not pooling gold to buy a house) on one character in a very long time. Might give it a try again.
    Thanks for the idea and information

:}
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Aye, I knew this would be right up your all Westra.
    I know the topic of your playstyle has come up before and I thought of you when I made the thread. :)

Hope to see you out there.....and perhaps PvM is the guild to be in for characters like this...if that is something you're interested in. :)
  14. newme

newme Well-Known Member

sure, I welcome anyone who wishes to play a guild that doesn't grief others. I am realistic thou,
    know they might have other characters that do naughty things lol
  15. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Bump. I'm still out there!!!
  16. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

This is really interesting and something Ive wanted to try. Is there a regular group playing this way?
  17. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

I may start this after March.
  18. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Some may have started elseware, but none have met me in game as of yet.
  19. Gharik

Gharik Active Member

Maybe I'll make a tamer and we can run around with an army of timber wolves. haha
  20. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I played again for a brief time last night. I slayed some ratmen and added more spined leather to my inventory. The challenges are great when I'm alone and it would be wonderfult to find a brave companion in the area of Trinsic to hunt these fell beasts with me.