The Writing Renaissance

Discussion in 'Player Run Events' started by Alex Caember, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

The King's Library, with the sanction from the Gods themselves, would like to announce an on-going event...

The Writing Renaissance

What is the Writing Renaissance? An excellent question...
    The single most valuable and substantial aspect of Ultima Online is not the pixels, the pvp, the pvm... but the permanence and persistence of the world which we inhabit. Many players come and go over the years, and most are lost to history regardless of their fortunes and wealth, prowess in combat, or any other factors... save for the ones who are remembered in books, chronicled either by themselves or other players. The most valuable thing we can leave behind when we depart this world of Ultima Online is our legacy, and the only way to ensure that this legacy stands the test of time is to record it...

The Writing Renaissance is an initiative to encourage more works of writing from the members of this wonderful community.

I will put forth a series of topics that can be written about and submitted to the King's Library. For your donation of time and writing to the King's Library, you will receive a wonderfully crafted trophy from the God's themselves:

[​IMG]

What does it take for a book to be "qualified" to receive a trophy? Another great question!
    Not all books will necessarily be eligible for a trophy (all books are in-game books, preferably the purple ones as they are the only ones with 40 pages in them). The book(s) submitted will be vetted first for substance. Writing style, grammar, personal influence, etc will not be held against a book or its author, but this vetting process is merely to weed out "troll" books and people simply looking to get easy trophies. The books should be of quality, though the length of a book should only be as long as is required to fully express your subject.

What do I write about? Fantastic questions still coming in!
    The following topics are viable to be written about and submitted to the King's Library:

• UO:Renaissance History - Notable and not-so-notable events specific to this Shard that helped shape it into what it is today.
    • Guild History - The history and stories of specific guilds, whether they are still around in UO:R or not. The guilds in question *must* be UO:R guilds and not guilds from any other server, official or otherwise. Books regarding guilds such as Project Sanctuary, Stormhold, KoS (pre-fall), are very much encouraged as well.
    • Personal History - The history and stories of your character or the character of another player you are knowledgeable of. The characters in question *must* be UO:R characters and not characters from any other server.
    • Beastiary - Guides, essays, journals, etc, regarding creatures of the land (either current or "lost", as in from previous Ultima games). An example would include a guide about Dragons, or a journal from the point of view of your character and its encounter with a balron, or an essay about the long lost Xorn.
    • Arcane and Alchemical treatises - Books which detail spells, potions, incantations, summonings, poultices, etc. These can be guides detailing lost spells or more practical essays regarding the breakdown of each reagent or mantra. This can extend further back to previous Ultima games as well, such as a book of "lost" spells (Xit, for instance).
    • Virtues and Anti-Virtues - Essays, guides, etc regarding the most core and founding principles in the Ultima universe.
    • The Dungeons - Guides detailing the dangers within the dungeons, or journals or stories about your character's exploits in a dungeon... there are nearly endless possibilities.
    • Flora and Fauna - Related to the Beastiary, but perhaps less exotic - topics about the plants and animals that inhabit the world of Britannia.
    The above stated are mostly to help guide the writing focus. How you ultimately write and what you decide to write about is up to you. The form in which any of these books take can be anything:

• Biographies
    • Journals
    • Stories (1st person, 3rd person)
    • Essays
    • Guides
    • Poems
    Basically, be as creative as you like. The following rules also apply:

• Do not write about Real-Life events or other non-Ultima subjects.
    • Do not utilize distasteful subject matter unless it is integral to the story being told - use common sense here.
    • Keep expletives to a minimum.

And that is it! If more clarification needs to be made, I will edit the topic as necessary. Any questions or comments, please leave them here. If you have something to submit to the King's Library, contact me either through PM here or through IRC (same name, Alex_Caember).

Thank you!
    Zyler, Aragorn - OCT, eherruh and 8 others like this.
  2. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

Great idea Alex! Hopefully I will get some time in the future for a submission
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Alex Caember

Just to be clear, there are no deadlines for this. This is an on-going project!
    The Watch and Jupiter like this.
  4. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

5. Alex Caember

Yeah, that looks pretty good! Looks like it would fit multiple volumes :)
  6. Too Old For This ...

ehm, can a scribe somehow copy the written books or it has to be done maually every time if I want several copies?

I didn't find such a menu, but I have that little hope that it can be done somehow and veterans can help me out....
  7. Alex Caember

You can make copies of in-game books with the inscription skill. What you do is use the inscription skill from the skill menu, then target the book you want to make a copy of and then target a blank book. If your inscription is less than 50, you might fail for awhile. My guy has about 30 inscribe and is successful a bit more than half of the time.
  8. Too Old For This ...

PRRRRAAAAAAAAAIIIISE THE LORD!
    Halabinder likes this.
  9. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

You can also type it in notepad and copy and paste it into the book, just have to do the title manually
    ReZon and Jupiter like this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

i would recommend this for the first copy.

i have noticed when copying very large quantities of words into game books it is best to do 1-2 paragraphs at a time. also sometimes the text doesn't stay in the book. it is probably just superstition, but i have found if i hit return once after copying it helps prevent alphabet loss.

11. Too Old For This ...

And how that could be done notepad --> ingame book?
  12. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

you just type what you want then copy in notepad, then click on your book and paste it in. You might need to check the formatting but from what I remember it usually works out well.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

i use a .txt file which resolves any formatting issues since notepad doesn't have any formatting.

for those who may not know ctrl + c is the windows shortcut for copy and ctrl + v is the shortcut for paste.

so highlight text in your notepad file (outside UO) and then click into your UO game book, make sure there is a blinking cursor in the book and hit ctrl + v.

voila.
  14. Too Old For This ...

that simple, thanks for the tip

I thought it would require much more manipulations, thanks.
  15. Alex Caember

Just wanted to bump this and let folk know this is still an on-going thing :)

I have given out several trophies for contributions thus far, and got plenty more! I would love to get more books regarding the people of this shard, the guilds, and historical events that occurred here, along with any other books that folk might like to write (see the main post for additional details).

Thanks!
    PaddyOBrien and Christoph Brock like this.
  16. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Your reminder has inspired me, Alex. I am thinking and hope to start writing very soon.
    Dun Scaith and PaddyOBrien like this.
  17. Aragorn - OCT

Aragorn - OCT Well-Known Member

Alex, this has been on Aragorn's to-do list for a while and he has a few he's working on. I'll hopefully have something fleshed out soon.

Great idea! Thanks for suggesting this.
    Dun Scaith and Jupiter like this.
  18. Dun Scaith

Dun Scaith Well-Known Member

The kings library is chalk full of great books - this I can assure you.
    Hope more folks get into submissions.