Theory crafting

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Althorn, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Althorn

Althorn Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

If UOR did an optional seasonal (quest shard) annually where you sign up and if enough people sign up they have a designated start/end date/time & make new chars placed on a different UOR shard and try to compete against other players that signed up to achieve things and challenges with or without macro. Was even thinking maybe make it like 1 death and your out kind of thing even if you die to monsters but monitored so if you die due to internet connections maybe you get a free 1 death pass..Participants and winners would get rewards towards your normal UOR account maybe some blessed clothing content only obtainable through the challenge ect. I'm just throwing this out lol....don't attack me I don't think anything needs to change just an idea. Could be simply a 12 hr challenge to a 12 month challenge.
    bart simpson likes this.
  2. diran

diran Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Sounds like fun but if it were longer then say a couple days I think you would need a few more deaths allowed
    Althorn likes this.
  3. Althorn

I mean there's a lot of ways to do it which is why I threw the idea out. I think it would be pretty cool no matter how they did it.
  4. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  5. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Nothing stopping you from running your own event where we can create a new player and accomplish some task without dying. MyUOR can show death logs to prove you didn't die. I would take part in that.
  6. Althorn

Although the 1 death or however many limits deaths could be tricky even if it was a free for all, people still could work together in secret and exploit.. So it would probably take a good amount of work to design to make it fail proof but I'm not savvy with that it could be simpler hah.
  7. Althorn

I agree like I said I'm just throwing ideas out.
    One likes this.
  8. Althorn

I mean I wouldn't really know how to begin to create it but im willing to put some work in towards it if anyone has ideas.
  9. diran

diran Well-Known Member

Even if it was a player run event some how it could work
  10. Melochabre

Melochabre Well-Known Member

I really do like the idea of a one life to live server, but I don't think it's right for a server of our size. Splitting the population of the server into two servers might end up hurting the health of both servers. Maybe instead there could be a series of events on this server where you can only proceed if you lived through the last one?
    Basoosh and One like this.
  11. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Not to tout but, I play this way here already.

I've always had a character or two that if they died, that was it... game over.
    It's like hardmoding Baldur's Gate to me and changes the way you play.

You tend to appreciate the little things when death becomes permanent.
    Kirby, PaddyOBrien and Melochabre like this.
  12. diran

diran Well-Known Member

Oh I dumb thought it would be on the same lol
  13. snap dragon

Yeah splitting the server is not good. We already have enough "instances" and safe activities so that a good portion of the population mine as well be on another server.

I am all for a perma-death event. I have no problem macroing a character, or "not macroing" and making a character (but i dont think that is enforcable) for such a thing. Heck, if there was a voluntary perma-death option I would take it on at least one of my main characters for fun. I can't trust myself to "delete my own character when I die" though lol, so would have to be a real option to turn on.
    Master Omu, Melochabre and One like this.
  14. snap dragon

Moats = lame

CuB = ok sure why not. I'm interested to see if it's just something that will be exploited or if it does the opposite of it's purpose.

Poisoning = ya this has to be fixed quickly.

Tracking = ya, this is a big problem now for me too and I dont have a PK that tracks

Runic Fletching Kits = seriously? I really hope not. A valorite heavy x-bow would simply be too much damage. There's a reason the tactics modifier on bows traditionally adds to archery skill and not tactics in regular UO.

Parry = I don't know, what's wrong with parry as it is?

Spirit speak= YES! Please take these "worthless" skills and add to their functionality without taking away what they already do.

Automatically closing event gates = this should be priority #1. And trading should be disabled inside event area bbecause it's basically trammel on the whole server as long as they are open.
    Master Omu, PaddyOBrien and Xegugg like this.
  15. Melochabre

This is exactly how I am. For a lot of cRPGs I will make a perma death character, in addition to others, but it has to be enforced for me to do it. I just can't bring myself to voluntarily deleting toons.
  16. snap dragon

I kind of have it on 2 characters. My "the papua tailor" character has been on a polar bear for like 4 years now.. (Blaise owes me some money cause he bet against this), and my pk has never died ever, (except when I was macroing when the character was made).
    One likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  18. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member

Tinker traps, Gardening, and Carpentry BoDs have been on the cards for some time as well!
    Melochabre and One like this.
  19. Melochabre

Gardening would be awesome.
    One likes this.
  20. Melochabre

Here's another idea, though it is more Halloween oriented and would absolutely require GM participation.

I'll start by saying that I love Magic the Gathering and I heard about an event they held for the release of a set called Innistrad. They held an event called the "bite game" where they pitted monster decks against human decks. The idea was that whenever a human deck lost they became a monster and fought other humans - I believe until there was only a single human left, who was then the winner.

This could be a fun event for UOR. Everyone starts off as humans (not sure how much gear they start with) but eventually as players die they become monsters and try to kill the rest of the players until there is just one player left.

I don't know how difficult it is to do on the GM side of things but players could attempt to mimic it by imposing rulesets to Limit gear and skill use after dying.