Thieves Disguise Kit Overhaul. Kinda. *Goldsink?*

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by jihad joe, Jan 16, 2017.

1. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member
    UO:R Donor

Cool concept of anonymity. I like disguise kits, but with the improvements of Forensics, I would like to see an equal buff to disguise kits.

My suggestion would be 2 things:
    1] Instead of pulling a random name while using the disguise kit from the NPC name list, utilize the database of current player's names. Or simply allow temporary renaming with user's choice of name. I prefer the first.
    2] As an original thief on OSI from way back, I can attest this to be true: The current method of hair selection is wrong with the disguise kits. Per era logic: While selecting an alternate hairstyle the new hairstyle would use the same color as your existing hair color instead of defaulting to a hue of 0. For example: If your hair was bright red, and you used a disguise kit to change style, it would remain bright red. However, if your hair style was bright red, and you chose bald, and then later you chose another hair style, your hair would come back as white (0) until the effects of the disguise kit wore off. My only issue is not being able to use the hair/beard feature without having to purchase hair dye every time to hide the bright white symptom of using a disguise kit.

A far reach: Allow this to be a goldsink with an improved disguise kit option allowing my suggested changes or a compromise thereof to run parallel with the old disguise kit system, or a complete overhaul of the original disguise kits with these features implemented at an increased price.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    WoblinTheGoblin likes this.
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

1. Hell no. Kit names are obvious, sure, but we don't need thieves running around with our names and giving us, and Telamon, a hard time. All you need is someone like Gambit using a kit with your name and suddenly everyone hates you instead.

2. I don't think it should transfer over your hair color. I do, however, think it should assign a random color and not default to white - which adds to the obvious kit.
  3. Vandalin

Vandalin Well-Known Member

Gambit has already found a great way to steal that doesn't require a disguise kit.
  4. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

The player name list currently is 65,522 names deep. I have a hard time believing someone gets the name they want [1:65,522 / 0.0015%] and do their malice within the given 2 hours. My intentions were only for disguise kits to offer some type of viable name. I considered throwing random hair dye out there while using disguise kits, but the actual period mechanics handled it differently.
  5. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Well-Known Member

Doesn't have to be player names, really...

Maybe just a first and last name sometimes, or a random guild title. Something other than an arbitrary white haircut and an NPC name to make it a little more legitimate.
    jihad joe likes this.
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

There are ways to achieve this. ;)
  7. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I've barely used one since I started UO

1. It tends to mess up macros
    2. Ego - I want people to know it's me
    3. The disguise kit sucks imo, but there are people who swear by them

if I need to I just cast incog, it's better than the 2 hour timer
  8. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Agreed. However, at occasion it might provide some great fun, as here: http://uorforum.com/threads/franz-pfniffel-and-the-infiltration-of-aod.4033/. I made sure to get the Archibald name the two days I was in AoD that I infiltrated.
  9. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I've kept the cheap hair dye bottles with me while using a disguise kit on my thief. Change the hair, use the dye, no problem.
  10. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I always keep a spare bottle of neon hair dye with me for when I use my kit. Really works well with the whole "disguise" feature.
  11. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I can get exactly the name I want from a disguise kit by running a macro to use the kit, and then saying something "to self" or as guild message and using razor to check the system message if it's the name I want.
  12. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

But why waste the time when you could just make a new character and dress it up? You're missing the whole point of disguise kits. Thanks.

Edit: You're willing to macro away to get a name randomly generated in your favor to enjoy that name for 2 hours or until death? Yeah...
  13. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Of course we'd be willing, however, somewhat dependent on the occasion. ;)
  14. snap dragon

Because maybe you want a character with skills to go with that name for one reason. It would take less time than you think. So yeah, that is exactly what I currently do, there's nothing hypothetical about it.
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  15. snap dragon

Sure why not. Contrary to what other's have said, it would be trivial to find a random int from 0 to (numberOfCharacters-1) and then make a call to get a random name. But why? Small details would make it mostly pointless for the average player who isn't going to take the time to dress up like other players, not to mention neon hair dye, guild titles, and all that stuff. You might say "Oh but I am the best thief on the planet and I would definitely do all these things", and to that I would reply "Okay, good for you. Now consider how this would be used?" Scamming. As much as this is a likable idea, it will never fly here on UOR where things are a tad bit more trammely than some other servers.

What you attest is simply incorrect. You can check the UO T2A demo to see precisely how disguise kits work just before T2A was launched, and then reference uo stratics or any other source from the Third Dawn era to see precisely how it worked. You never retained your hair color. Hair dye is/was the cats meow.
  16. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

I never said to make this functionable you had to dress up as another character. Again, who in the fuck is going to waste time with a disguise kit when they can just roll a new character whose name will last longer than 2 hours. Because the character will have skills you say? Everything here is macroable over night and I don't know very many rich people around here whose template mirrors that as a thief. Pulling a random player name from a list would be funner and more convenient than "Archibald" or "Henrietta."

As far as your issue with my statement with hair dyes, I can only say you're wrong. Hair would only lose its hue if there was no previous hair in the location.
  17. snap dragon

If you can't see the value in disguise kits and why one might want it over rolling a new character, then I don't know what to tell you good sir.
  18. jihad joe

jihad joe Active Member

I say, good day.
    WoblinTheGoblin and snap dragon like this.