Thieves that uses 3rd party program

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by itslike, Aug 22, 2017.

1. itslike

itslike Member

So far I noticed 2 thieves are using 3rd party program that razor or original client can't do.
    I reported Scooter before but not sure if dev can catch them..
    Becareful if you see those thieves anywhere, stealing is unavoidable which is ridiculous.

Scooter/Gambit
    -met in dungeon, played run and catch for '5mins' and finally stole my recall rune with inappropriate language.

Corcoran
    -met in Occlo, stole my recall rune while I was moving. I noticed he's a thief so I was avoiding him...
    I was skeptical if he used last target function so I watched carefully when he approached me again.
    As soon as he approached me I started moving and you know what? Bammmm he stole my regs again which was in inside of my bag (need 2 snooping)
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    One likes this.
  2. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

cant he make a macro that has your bag id saved and then last target it? I'm asking

also if I saw a line up of dogs on WBB roof like that on this server I would immediately log off and start playing runescape

*nevermind, you removed the video. and thanks
  3. elite-

elite- New Member

Hi itslike,

If a thief targets your status bar they get a "lucky dip" and could end up with any item in your inventory, usually used by bait thieves to try and get you into a fight because they aren't bothered about the individual item they are stealing from your pack. Is this possible?
  4. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

I'm guessing they have a macro like this:

Use Skill Stealing
    [delay]
    Target by type (rune)

If they have no runes on them and you only have one and there are no other runes in range yours should be chosen 100% of the time. Assuming they rely on gates from alts or carry runebooks the above should work quite consistently.

You could probably just carry an amount of unmarked runes around as defense against this tactic.
  5. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

@itslike If I understand the situation correctly, then what @elite- said is possible. Thieves don't have to snoop your packs, then target an individual item. They can either target your character or your health bar and do a random steal, which pulls any item out of your pack (within a weight limit iirc).
  6. itslike

itslike Member

For Scooter case, I had 6 unmarked +2 recall runes in my back pack. and he stole my skara brae recall rune which he knew that my main recall city because we met that city and I warned people that he's a thief previously, maybe he is pissed about that and seeked out for a revenge. Of course he luckily could steal my 'legit' recall rune but how i became to suspect about him is that he tried to steal for 5mins that he could try to steal any random items sooner.

For corcoran, I did not know that steal works on the status bar for random items. I'm sorry if he played properly my apology.
  7. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Thieves can simply use razor to steal by type.

What you may not realize (aside from the obvious connection speed differences and "random steal"):

1.) When you snoop someone, their backpack stays open for some distance. If a thief gets near you, they always get a second or so to check out the contents of your backpack.

2.) You can simply steal "by type" in razor. It's lame, but you can do it just fine.

3.) Once you are snooped, the contents of your backpack that were seen are stored in the snoopers client's cache. They can then steal by-type at a fairly significant later time. This would allow me to snoop you once, then come in and take, "just your spiders silk" for example.

4.) You can set say, 3 macros that just do "absolute target" and bind them to hotkeys. Then you can simply set the absolute targets to your victim's backpack whenever you get time, and those items are saved for later targeting.

I don't see any proof here that a thief is using a third party program at all.
    Deacon and Kirby like this.
  8. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

In that case my guess would be that he has a hotkey for "record/stop recording macro" and another for "play macro"

He snoops you, then records stealing the specific rune he wants (out of range so nothing actually happens while recording) and then runs up to you and plays it.

My best way to deal with thieves has always been use a pouch as my actual backpack and place my spellbook over it. This means a person has to drag away my spellbook and quickly double click the pouch beneath to actually snoop me after snooping me. Pouches can be placed within pouches for even more shenanigans.

BUT if razor allows them to stay open, they can just use lastobject to eventually dig through everything regardless of what you do to stay out of range until they get to your actual pouch, at which point they can start recording steal macros for your stuff.

On the other hand, if containers auto-close as they are supposed to, then no thief should be able to steal anything from you because you should not be standing next to shady people long enough for them to snoop through several layers of packs and record macros before you move away from them (and because you've remembered to set a hotbag for your undress key so you dump your weapon in a pouch rather than your backpack.)
  9. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Thieves can snoop hidden so it's easy to setup macros. Stealth up and snoop.

Using items to layer over containers to protect them doesn't work with Razor.

Magic trap your item holding pack to alert you if it's opened. There isn't a way to stop the random steal, all up to their success rate and proximity to you. Not sure if magic locking a chest will stop it.

Now that tracking is broke it's hard to find nefarious types. Only other way to is use detect hidden but who wants that as a skill unless your a non 7x treasure hunter.

Also if your newer to dealing with thieves they can wear a disguise kit to change their name and appearance.

You can use the stealing skill with zero skill to check if they are a blue criminal/perma grey.

Edit: you can cast hide or use the hiding skill to cause your pack to close from thief's game window but that doesn't stop people from making a quick macro or just revealing you and reopening it obviously. Quickly becomes a game for some of them to see how much you can be annoyed.
  10. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Why not? If I recall correctly the ability to remove items (visually) was part of UOExtreme along with fastwalk and see hidden and multiple last target and no other 3pps had it.

You can still drag the spellbook and double click, but it should still take longer, no? Or does razor allow you to automatically snoop layered containers?
  11. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Set object delay high, then drag items.
  12. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

To clear another thing up discussed here. While your pack that has been snooped DOES stay open for a certain distance from a thief if he doesn't move after snooping you, you CANNOT open any other contents of their pack once the player has moved over a tile away from you.
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So to recap:

1.- No need to record a new macro. Have a macro that reads
    • Use skill steal
    • wait for target
    • Last target
    Have a hotkey that sets last target (from the hotkeys tab in razor)
    Snoop, identify the target you want, then set last target with hotkey, run up next to victim, hit steal macro...?...profit.

2.- Layering objects may deter a lowly thief, but an expert can set a high item delay in Razor and go through many layers to get into your belongings.

3.- Some thieves alternatively have macros that target specific things. Most notably mandrake root when out on the field. Why mandrake? It kills your mobility (recall, teleport and gate use it) and it kills your greater heals. Have many stacks of a few mandrake each.
    Majinko and Duz-luk like this.
  14. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

Thanks Pirul, I'm gonna have to start splitting mandrake now. What about nightshade? That's typically an offensive spell reagent.
  15. The Crooked Warden

The Crooked Warden Well-Known Member

You're absolutely correct with #1. This is the main reason @Chris added in the stealing delay on the trade window. To prevent a thief from trading you something he last targeted and stealing it immediately back.
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Correct. Poison and ebolt most commonly. You could make due without it, not nearly as essential as mandrake root.
  17. elite-

elite- New Member

I go for Garlic, no Garlic no healing or curing! One DP hit and it's lights out
    Cheapsuit likes this.
  18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Garlic is also common, although not as much since a single cure pot can cure DP. Same applies for GHeal pots.

...and if you're out an about in the field without cure & Gheal pots, you're doing it wrong.
  19. Khar'Mash

Khar'Mash Member

Thanks.

My concern was that the thief wouldn't have to stand still for my pack to stay open, allowing him to double click and then move over and lastobject.

As it is, layering packs should get the job done as long as you're not standing still. (As far as I'm concerned, lack of paranoia is a mental instability in UO.)

As a sidenote, when it comes to stealing reagents root is best if you can clear out 1 type of reagent whereas pearl + silk is best if you can clear out more. The way I hear stealing from stacks works here I understand why root is the norm, though. Hadn't thought of going for garlic but then I haven't played a poisoner since snooping took one to Dark Lord. :p
  20. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

What he said. Also, thieves can accomplish everything talked about in this thread without razor. Razor only makes life easier. Thieves are awesome, but why can't we target and steal non blessed runebooks?
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Vishakt likes this.