Things to do Post-Occlo

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Reln, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Reln

Reln New Member

Hey everyone,

I am fairly new to the game. I played UO waaay back in 2002, but barely remember all of the nuances it had. I am coming in to the game fairly fresh.

I have been following the starting guide fairly closely posted on the UOR site for a swordsman. I ahve all of my stats where they need to be according to the guide and am ready to leave Occlo. My question is where should I go to continue my swordsman/ fighting training? Does anyone have a map or recommendations where to go to fight monsters with certain skill requirements?

EG - if you have 80 swordsmanship, some of the monsters in X area are about right for that level.

I am a little overwhelmed at the possibilities of where to go and what to do to continue my training. I really enjoy killing monsters and exploring new areas, not much into PvP, but I like the thrill of avoiding red players. any advice for a newbie like me?
    Lord Krake, Alex Caember and newme like this.
  2. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I would suggest trying your luck at Covetous Dungeon.

If you use the moongate and go to Minoc, go west to the road, and then south west until you come to the mountain range where the entrance is located.

If you need help finding it or want someone to tag along with you, hope in IRC #PS and ask. I'm sure someone can help you out.

Covetous.jpg
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

Hail Reln!

There are many things an adventurer in your dilemma can do. Oh how I envy your miserable state!

There are so many things to do, that if you don't at least start down one path you may become overwhelmed. But the best among them would be to fall in with the right group of fellows.

Also, please don't fall into the fallacy school of thought of "I'm not good enough to...." You are plenty good because you are here.

Here are some guilds which I think might suit one form or other of your playstyle:

contact @Lord Krake to find out about Project Sanctuary guild
    Project Sanctuary's mission is based primarily helping new players get up and running, exposing them to many elements of the game as far as general adventure, fun events, some PvP, etc.

contact @Akiro or @Alex_Caember for more information about The Great Council Guild
    The Great Council guild is a great endeavor to help unite role players of across the spectrum (from casual to avid RP'ers).

I personally don't have active recruitment to Paws, but please seek me out anytime you are in game. I will often lead people into the depths of Shame, fight off blood elementals armed only with a dagger, and write overly embellished stories if we live to tell the tale.

For solo adventuring there are actually many GREAT locations you can go. Ratman Valley is a place you can go to collect some valuable hides and decent gold. Although beware they don't gang up on you. Having 2 archers or 2 rat mages on you at a time can sure make you regret your decision.

Also, you can search out the various Troll grotos

If you're feeling daring, I have heard tale of a deadly Phoenix dwelling in the mountain passage in the Southern Jungle that leads to the hold world. However, I will warn you that I have lead about 4-5 GM warriors to their deaths trying to fight that creature.
  4. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

SHAME

Bring me the eye of an elder gazer and you'd most definitely be prepared for the next challenge.

Go now, fight with Honor!

[​IMG]

All kidding aside, the elementals there are a fine target for dexxers.
  5. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome.

Since others have given you great advice on general locations for skill building; I'll add exploring

I've always enjoyed traveling across country, encountering random monsters and players. One of my favorite routes is from Skara Brea to Yew.
    If you decide to go that trail, just above West Brit cross roads is my Village of Wispfelt, If you need to make band aids or just take a rest, the village is public, has tailor shop equipped with loo and spinning wheel. Large rune library, and a lovely garden. You can tell when in Wispfelt, little trees adorn all the porches.

If you've forgotten how to use the ferry, just get on the boat Skara side and say "cross"

Might wish to take along some inexpensive gemstones, might en-counter a few orc folks, they usually will let you pass if you pay tribute. They enjoy "shinnies", although they might kill your horse. They also enjoy horse meat as their main meal.

Another interesting route is from Trinsic, following the coast line down than up to Brit or Skara.

Whatever you decide, hope you enjoy and hope get to met you in game.

Marjor : Governess of Wispfelt

irc: Westra
    Alex Caember and Christoph Brock like this.
  6. Alex Caember

Alex Caember Well-Known Member

Exploring is a great thing to do - just wandering the roads you can encounter any number of various monsters to test your mettle and your metal.
    newme and Lord Krake like this.
  7. That Guy

That Guy Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Also don't forget there is no shame to run away heal up and try again, failure can teach you allot :)
    newme likes this.
  8. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome back to UO and to the best free server there is, hands down.

Lots of great advice coming from these fine folks.

Project Sanctuary has been mentioned (thanks @Jupiter ). We are indeed the guild to seek out if you are new and want some advice or hunting partners or just general questions answered or help sought after (although honestly, the majority of players here will offer the same to you. We are a great community!)

Jump into IRC and /join #PS to meet us, or just send me, or anyone with a Project Sanctuary signature, a message.

Ok, that being said, I really want to emphasize how fun and organic it is to just wander around the paths of Sosaria and kill random creatures, or rescue peasants from the clutches of orcs and lizzardmen, and the like, and randomly run into other players or find yourself in a player run city. I still do this on a regular basis to keep the feel of the game balanced with the optimization of doing things "efficiently". Both have their merits.

Shame is a great place to start as a dexxer. I like it better than Covetous for a few reasons.
    1. Covetous can draw more people because right inside the main entrance there is a boss spawn. It gets used often.
    2. Shame has better loot drops on the first level than Covetous.

If you have any inclination for role playing, I would suggest a Virtue Pilgrimage. Make your way, however you can, to each Virtue Shrine, cleanse it of evil if you can, leave a candle or lantern or something, and move on. This voyage will take you all over the place, and you will face down a variety of monsters. You might even run into some other players and entice them to come along.

Good luck! I hope to see you out there!

~Krake
    newme, Ahirman and Jupiter like this.
  9. Reln

Reln New Member

All great advice thank you everyone for your very informative posts
  10. Judd

Judd New Member

The first thing I did post-Ocllo was go back to victimize all the players still there. It has worked well for me.
  11. M3THMOUTH

M3THMOUTH Active Member

Id recommend creating three reds, gating them into town with nothing on them and killing AFK players.
    That's what Ultima is all about!

In all seriousness, find some friends and go from there; thats the best way to find stuff to do IMO.