Thinking of joining

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by merlin8666, May 6, 2017.

1. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

Hi forum,

After a long hiatus I am coming back to Ultima Online (been playing on and off since 2000) and currently on the official shard. What struck me about Renaissance is that it's UO at it's best before the "decline" - which is attractive.

So, just wanted to get a feel of the community before i do anything. Are there ninjas here? Countless weird and special items? Gazillion types of ore and magical items? - or is it really the authentic, love the hell out of it, UO from the early days?

Thanks!
    Jupiter, Keza, Lord Krake and 4 others like this.
  2. Cherie

Cherie Active Member

Are there ninjas here? no
    Countless weird and special items?kinda
    Gazillion types of ore and magical items? some
    is it really the authentic...never played any other ones,but from what ive been told its great here
    love the hell out of it YES!!!!
    UO from the early days from what ive been told yes
    and no weird colors too
    Hawkeye likes this.
  3. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Renaissance era mechanics without the trammel facet bs

I call it perfect
    Cherie and Lyta like this.
  4. Tertullian

Tertullian New Member

I just started playing here a couple of days ago... I originally played from '99 to '03ish, and based on what I've seen so far, this shard seems to have captured the flavor of "old-school" UO really well.

Give it a shot.
    Jupiter, Namarra, PaddyOBrien and 2 others like this.
  5. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

Hi Merlin! As others have said, the shard captures the 'old school' feel of UO quite well. There is some additional content but the staff make an enourmous effort to maintain the feel of that era.

The biggest difference here is the lack of West Brit Bank. Most players hang out on IRC instead and use the trade forum here for peddling their wares.

There is a new player program that starts you in Occlo safe from pks and monsters, for a bit. If you have any questions come see us in IRC. The folks in #PS would be happy to help you get your bearings.

Give us a try! It's free! .... until you get addicted, then it will cost you more time than you have in a day.
    Valrick and Dr Satan like this.
  6. AlexCCCP

AlexCCCP Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

UOR is best bro
    Halabinder and Valrick like this.
  7. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Doooo itttt!

97-2000ish player here.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  8. Rheanon

Rheanon Well-Known Member

It IS the authentic, love the hell out of it, UO from the early days. :)
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  9. merlin8666

merlin8666 Well-Known Member

Within 2 replies i downloaded and created an account. You're right, this shard is proper authentic and takes you back to the good ol'days. I am an "Apprentice Mage" - damn i missed these nuances from UO.

IRC, is that a chat channel or a messaging programme? I am slowly getting round to reading guides and watching intro movies so if someone would be kind of enough to tell me in a nutshell how to "join" IRC that would be very helpful.

Thank you all, hope to make some friends in the coming weeks and maybe rock some dungeons!
  10. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

If you go to the front page http://www.uorenaissance.com/ there is a link to the IRC channel under the 'Community' header at the left. It's a little quiet at non-US waking times but there's always somebody around to assist with info etc.
  11. Lyta

Lyta Well-Known Member

^ that is the easiest way. There are dozens of web based clients and stand alone clients.

My favourite web based one is kiwi irc:
    https://kiwiirc.com/client/irc.chat4all.org/Renaissance

My favourite stand alone is mIRC.

Chat channels all start with a hash tag(yeah twitter stole it :) . Once you are in #Renaissance you can ask away. Or you could type /join #PS

That will join Project Sanctuary's channel, a guild dedicated to getting new players oriented.
  12. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

I once went on an adventure with a wizard named @Jupiter and I ninja'd all the loots. But later I gave him a stick to make up for it. The stick was crooked. Like the wizard...
    Jupiter likes this.
  13. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

No not countless. There are some very tasteful additions that you can acquire through lvl 7 maps and Ancient Messages in a Bottle (AMIB). They take work and dedication and not handed out like candy
    We have Platinum Coins that you earn through gameplay and simply logging in - replaces the veteran rewards you may remember of old.
    We have custom holiday events with a fantastic look and feel.

9 standard Ore types,
    Pus Stone, Sandstone and Marble ingots, earned by killing matching elemental monsters
    2 wood types Regular and Oak
    Tasteful furniture dye tub colors that have charges and not unlimited like OSI - Takes plat to buy them

Its as authentic as it can be, while removing some of the imbalance of the early OSI days.

Although its sometimes hotly debated, there is no ONE template, playstyle that's favored above others.
    Valrick and Cherie like this.
  14. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

If you need any help getting started let me know! I enjoy it when newcomers stick around. And those early stages can be rough!
    Cherie likes this.