This shard in a nutshell

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by bor, May 2, 2017.

1. bor

bor New Member

Be a tamer win pvm-pve, be a mage+whatever skill -even forensic will work- win pvp... This should be written on the UOR homepage.

Entirely worthless templates = dexxer, sword-lj, mace, archer, whichever fighter template. Just about anything besides the two that define this shard.

Each and every setting in this shard is against fighters... platemail kills dex = 1 hour bandage times and even slower dps just no point in wearing any armor imo
    ( there are no fighters around anyway so why even wear it in the first place XD ), special attacks and magical properties on weapons = very unimaginative and totally ineffective,
    no ore based magical properties on armor, only armor rating and color difference.. (again no fighters, just a load of mages around por corp wis'ing your 1m physical armor),
    0 penalty on leather armor = op mage class also tanky, 0 cooldown buffed cure pots = poison dexxer worthless, i don't even have to mention tamers..
    the list goes on and on just read the forums, check the leaderboards...

If you want a pvp gameplay just go mage, get the armor from leather, heal+cure+debuff and rape all the fighter pickers hugging their bandages, with multicast blasts etc. ez pz. There is no balancing mechanic or build against the mage class that recovers 5 times faster -mid fight- than any other class here (the mechanics i remember servers had 15 years ago).

I'm no expert, i might be exaggerating and idk if it's the runUO and the newer stuff missing but something is definitely not right here. But i'm sure i'm so mistaken about everything and all the subscribers will explain how wrong i am.

For what it's worth, i would say to the beginners like me that if you wish to continue here just go either tamer/bard or mage, learn the afk macros, gm and have at it.. Anything else is pk food and torture in pve. (Forget pks lol -they're just hoping for players noob enough to show up in any dungeon- blues are the ones killing you next to banks and looting your crafters XD)

I really wish i realised all this earlier and didn't waste time building a fighter + profighter crafting account for a shard designed for only 2 templates :(
    I'm not even a month in so i guess it's not too late to look for a more playable shard.

Staff Note by Chris: Upon further investigation into this players complaints it has been determined that the player created his accounts approximately 8 days ago. The accounts have between 22 and 48 hours of total time played. (2-4 hours a day) Rather than a legitimate complaint about experiences on the server, this post does seem to have an ulterior motive/axe to grind. We never mind constructive criticism. However this player has not developed characters to the point that he could have formed an opinion one way or the other about his experience here.

Formal Reply

If you have constructive criticism about the server or its mechanics the staff is always available to discuss those issues with you either directly or via the ERA discussion subforum. The title of this post has been edited to be less clickbait-ey, and the capitalization has been fixed.End
    Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2017
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

I have seen similar posts to this many times. While I am not saying anything @bor said is untrue, I question peoples motives for playing games these days.

Feels like I'm in the minority of gamers that play for fun these days. Most other gamers I speak with do the following check-list for a new game:
    • How do I make money fast?
    • How do I get the best stuff in the game quickly?
    • In general, how do I win at this game in the shortest period of time for my instant gratification?
    Maybe what should be written on the homepage is, "Come have fun!"
    Shosara, Avery, Vishakt and 11 others like this.
  3. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Hi, first you should always capitalize the letter "I". Second, a provo mage is ALWAYS recommended 1st. The game is super old and I bet a little homework wouk have helped, rather then make this "shit on the shard post". You can have tons of fun with your templates, but if you think you are gonna go slay dragons or rock champs without putting in the time effort and energy. Then I say bye bye.
    Avery, Dot Com, Halabinder and 3 others like this.
  4. Erlkonig

Erlkonig Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

chivalry + focus
    archery special move?
    bolas
  5. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

I saw this coming from this guy awhile back. Totally called it and am impressed with my accuracy % of the post's content.

UO is not balanced.
    It is not supposed to be balanced.

I personally hate tamers but that's the way it is. I also hate chess but I'd totally play it if they'd just change a few things for me.

Love and kisses,
    Satan
  6. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Oh, but it IS written in the home page. Actually, it is in the shard's name:

UO: Renaissance

Renaissance being the operative word, and the mechanics mimic those available at that time. The fact that people have been able to master pvp and pve with mages and tamers is because they have had years of practice and trial and error to master it.
    Avery, wylwrk, Jupiter and 3 others like this.
  7. Hersin

Hersin Member

just finished my nox fencer and now trying to gm blacksmith for crafting armour and weapon. I have no interest in pvm and need gold only for pvp restocking.
    bor, let me know your future plan, if you will be around.

I really enjoy playing dexxer, mages are evil things.
    Vishakt likes this.
  8. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Have a dexxer, has a purpose.
    Have a tamer, has a purpose.
    Have an archer, has a purpose.

Do I use a dexxer to Uber pvm farm? He'll no.

Sorry 2d wow wasn't found here
  9. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

I'll bump this thread when I see you still on UOR in a month.
    wylwrk and Valrick like this.
  10. Soma Holiday

Soma Holiday Active Member

Serious question because I'm new and like to play dexxers and archers: what is their purpose if they're not good for farming and it sounds like not for pvp either?
    Valrick likes this.
  11. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member

You answered that yourself. Their purpose is enjoyable play time for those who like to play them.

If you just want to 'farm' max gold for whatever reasons they may have little purpose.
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Valrick likes this.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I make most my money on a provo dexxer....just sayin...
    Valrick, Holden, RavenMagi and 2 others like this.
  13. Valrick

Valrick Well-Known Member

Archers have fishing and are on boats
    Dexxers I use 2.

Mage/fencer hybrid for ctf/pvp even though I do also use stun/scribe mages for the same thing.

Provocation swords dexxer for aMIBs and instance events like level 7 traps

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my peacemaking dexxer which can farm around 70ish percent as good as timers during peak times and stay safe. Waaaaay safer than timers in hits pots. @BlackEye showed me the way on this.
    wylwrk, Jupiter and Soma Holiday like this.
  14. TrojanCow

TrojanCow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Jumping high five.

It echoes life, though. Some people want to dominate, and some people just want to have good times. I like your way the best, though.
    Valrick, wylwrk and Jupiter like this.
  15. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Active Member

@bor, what is your motive for posting this? Honestly, this is nothing but poisoning the well.

I have some advice for you: you should try to be more solutions oriented. Would you instead think about the things you'd like to see different and make suggestions? People are much more receptive to "I've been here a few weeks, and have some ideas" than "I've been here a few weeks and everything sucks kthxbye". Please take that to heart, it will improve all areas of your life.

Also, don't forget, this is a free server that operates on a combination of donations and the admin's personal time and funds. They don't have to be up all night working on features to try to make things more fun for everyone, but they do. Maybe show a little respect for others rather than throwing a tantrum.
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Valrick and Dot Com like this.
  16. Codus

Codus Well-Known Member

I just came back, but I am sure what I am about to say still holds true:

My tamer is better at farming then your dexxer
    My peace/dex is great for events were your tamer cant go or is too cumbersome
    My thief can steal your tamers plat and dexxer's slayer
    My archers and swords/LJs can fish and mine better then your mule
    My house sitting crafters can make more money in BODs then your tamer could
    My townsitters can talk more trash then your crafters stuck in their houses
    My treasure hunter has more fun then all of your toons combined trying to manage some of those spawns
    My RP characters go on better adventures then you have ever been on
    And your pvp mage can beat mine up cause im bad at it

And there's a reason I have all of these builds....

Cause I find it all fun. And the great thing is.. noone is forcing me to pick and chose. I can do it all. And after a bit of a hiatus, I am back to do so. I am sorry if you don't think its fun right now, but I think if you give it more then 3 weeks, you might like it.

Thunting doesn't need tamers and is some of the most PvM fun I have in the game. Battle mining does not need pets and that is a very lucritive PvM activity.

And final thoughts:
    Fun =/= Lucrative or the OP Template
    Fun = Fun
    There's multiple ways to have it - just be open to it.
    Avery, Ducky, Lord Krake and 12 others like this.
  17. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Could not have said it better. +1
    Valrick, Codus and Jupiter like this.
  18. Ponne

Ponne Well-Known Member

There is purpose to every class. You just have to find your purpose and what you think is fun. There is TONS of things to do on UO and that is why I personally love the game, I play a fencer mage with med no healing at all, i heal with pots and spells. People usually have a hard time killing me 1vs1 others do it really easy. Reasons for this?

Reasons they kill me easy.

1. They are better then me and have PvPed longer then I and masterd the art of PvP

2. I just suck in general.

Reasons they dont kill me as easy.

1. I have a spear and usually a poisoned secondary which makes their life miserable with heavy hits and random para blows. Making it deadly to go in for a stun.

2. I know how to outheal a solo stunmage without any big issues with mana to spare.

Now i also played a provo dexxer in the beginning here. I made my money for my first tower that way. And I made the money for my first big tower this way, I provoed artic ogres for hours and that was an easy fun way for me. I then made a tamer and farmed a bit. Was not as fun and barely required any brain activity to maintain. (It was a eval tamer with resist) In other words a harder target for PKs roaming around. Then i made another provo tamer without resist. Easier target for PKs but just as fun. I enjoy provo dexxer more then tamers as it requires more brain power. My tamers run a macro that goes on loop, I heal my dragon first and then i run the macro that loops bandages on last target. Then run a restock agent that collects gold, plat and gems. So next to no brain power required. But as i said we all have different ways of having fun and every single template has a purpose you just gotta find it for yourself and see how you can enjoy the game the most.

Some people say that stunmages are without doubt the best pvp template whatsoever no point in arguing, BUT people might not see it as fun. Maybe its the best but it might not be the most fun for that specific person. UO is all about YOU, find out what makes you have fun and play that.

And again if you dont enjoy the shard which you all the best just leave instead of making a forum post about it.
    Dot Com likes this.
  19. Ponne

Ponne Well-Known Member

Give this man a trophy.
    Codus and Dot Com like this.
  20. Dot Com

Dot Com New Member

^^ This.