Thoughts on adding Metal Armor Paint Tubs to Renaissance

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, May 31, 2014.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I chattered on IRC about Metal Dye (Paint) Tubs being a decent reward idea to add to the Blacksmithy Bulk Order Deed matrix. It could be incentive for people to actually complete large iron bods, as an example of where it might fit in the matrix.

Of course, if implemented, it would have to meet the non-eyesore criteria that all Renaissance Dye Tubs have been held to. Granted, over the last two years, some hues were removed (which is just a good sign that there is attention to detail). I think with proper consideration a fair number of hues can be found that will allow greater role play and customization of one's character or guild, by way of Metal Dye Tubs.

I'd love to hear any feedback on this and or have someone attempt to insult me or the idea by calling it Trammel. We all know that having nicely colored gear directly implies 0 risk of loss in combat and absolutely no non-consensual PvP.

Thanks for reading. :p
    Dr Satan, Eldstorm and Deacon like this.
  2. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Absolutely yes! That would be awesome in my opinion! I almost want only player crafted armor to be dyeable...but that would just be to promote player made gear. Id obviously have no problem seeing full sets of invun plate dyed either! I'd at least love to see the old dragon scale colors implemented. I think they were like dark blue/green/yellow and maybe red?
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Aye, some basic sensible colors, plus Faction Hues, would be great to see in my opinion. If it were restricted to crafted only, that wouldn't be fair to smiths considering tailors don't suffer the same restrictions on LDTs. :)
  4. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

I can dig this if the colors are kept in moderation.
  5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    MikeK and [Mobolin] like this.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would honestly love to see it as a gold purchased item from NPCs. As much as I love BoD rewards, I absolutely love real GOLD SINKS.
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  7. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

dying armor? Isnt this a bit unrealistic?
    I think we should stay realistic here. You cant so easily dye metal. Especially in dark medieval ages.
    It should be rare - well for special events ok.

The color could decay from the metal. This could be realistic.
    Decay could be faster if the armor is used -> ever used a sword on your car and saw what it does with your car metal color?
    But it also should decay over time. I dont know if this can so easily be scripted. I fear not with current mechanics.

Conclusion:
    Metal dye ok.. if it decays in any way - yes it is ok.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The term 'dye' is a misnomer but I can't edit the topic of the thread or I would. Painted armor is not only realistic, possible and logical, but historically accurate to medieval times.

Sure it would be great if you could have it chip and scratch and wear over time, but we're playing UO, not SotA. There's just no room for that level of intricacy. The suggestion is merely to allow metal armor wearers the same luxury as leather armor wearers. A bit of color to develop their style and identity.
    [Mobolin] likes this.
  9. Punt

Punt Well-Known Member

Not really sure something being realistic should be a main arguing point about whether or not it gets implemented or not.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

koncept shouldn't you be committing lesbian wedding images to memory for when you have to come back home?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The term 'realistic' is wholly appropriate in a game that is modeled after real life, with the fantasy layer of magic and monsters thrown on top. That is what makes Ultima such a successful franchise is that it has always had that feeling of realism (with the suspension of disbelief because you're looking at a little pixel doll on a screen).

The fact that I walk around and nearly everything I see or interact with has a identical real world version is testament to that. No, I can't cast spells or summon pets, but I sure as shit can go fishing with my pet dog and hire a captain to sail my ship. :)
  12. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I'd like to see stripes or patterns. Instead of painting the entire armor a different color, what if you could select a few pre-approved patterns? Who wouldn't want racing stripes added to their sweet ride.... rrrr.. armor-hide.

I mean you basically already have "painting" by using the appropriate color of ore. But racing stripes or a falcon image? These would probably appear best in the paper doll, and would make your character profile that much sweeter.
  13. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

This would require art modification, client side -- not something that could be easily implemented. The art would also have to be created.
  14. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

So you're saying all other protects should be put on hold until this is implemented? Excellent! (j/k)
  15. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

You can already have gray, dark gray, beige, brown, gold, pink, green, or blue armor. ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

On the plus side, if you make it a reward for large iron plate sets, I can trash barrel 25% of these things before they're ever made. So there's that.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Being that, aside from bare iron hue, none of them are better than the mid-range magical armor, no. I am not entertained. If I can have full purple invuln leather, I want the same in plate, and really in chain. :)
  17. Brymstone

Brymstone Well-Known Member

So if the dying metal armor thing takes place and the fact that this is a fantasy based game, why couldn't we entertain the idea of "elven" armor? You know the "light" stuff that's like wearing clothing but protects as if wearing solid metal, perhaps allowing dexxers to keep a little of their dexterity.

I realize this is a pipe dream but toke up and feel this one out with me. Ya, you know you're feelin it, just let it happen, it's o.k.
    Halabinder and Jupiter like this.
  18. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Yes, painting is realistic. But its very different of color that is absorbed like if dying leather.
    Thats the point why i suggested a decay of the color.
    I think this would make it even rarer and cooler (and more realistic)
    Think of a armor part with descriptions like ..." - painted - the paint is like new" or "painted - the paint is nearly destroyed"
    I am sure this would be possible to script.
  19. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm on board, as long as you can't 'dye' metal chests. Let's keep those unique to the AMIB system.
  20. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

Personally, I think it would be cool to have it tied to some kind of Alchemist Reward and have it be paints instead of dye tubs. Everything's a stinking dye tub already. I do like different colored armor options, though.