Tinker Traps

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Downs, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Downs

Downs Member

Anyone who knows me, knows what this is about.

I understand that tinker traps are kinda weak here. I have some sources about how it used to work back in the day:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=nl# ... _Ol4k4HEpw
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=nl# ... toCcDNFuJU
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=nl# ... FxREKbIP40

I haven't had a chance to test anything here yet as I R NEW still, but im told that a trap will only be armed if a box is locked, and will only explode if the lock is picked or the box is smashed.

The above links discuss people carrying GM tinker trapped boxes that got snooped and the snooping thief exploded.

I'm very much for a change which makes tinker traps a deadly thing to deal with opening, without needing to lockpick the box. It adds a whole new level of adventure that can be provided to the shard!

Thoughts, clarification, aid in research?
    Lightshade likes this.
  2. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

No research to add, except a +1 to seeing proper tinker trap function in place. I want my xmas chumbox!
  3. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Agree 100x

The present dysfunction of TTBs (Tinker Trapped Boxes) makes me sad in the pants.

PS: You can pull BoDs in Buc's after your tinker goes red.
  4. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

One other problem I think is that Tinker-trapped boxes have a max TrapPower of 60, which means their damage is capped at 60. (and since you can only gain skill in Remove Traps if your skill is 30 below to 30 above trappower, that's why RT currently stops on tinker-trapped boxes at 90.0).

Tinker trapped boxes should have variable damage, in most cases >60 damage and as high as 120 or more, according to some old tests on Stratics.

The whole "TrapPower" system in RunUO needs to be fixed to make this shard more in line with Renaissance-era damage levels, in addition to the things Downs mentions. Though I'm no coder, I've seen the code for this and there's a lot of variables at play that impact things like tmap chests, dungeon chests, etc., so would just advise patience with the development and editing of it.
  5. Downs

Downs Member

i posted this at telamon and other's urging! I'll prepare my tinker and await the patch within the next 7-10 days!
    Lightshade likes this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I support this for the following reasons:

1. I'm blindly going off of Downs' research
    2. I love using GM poison traps for anti-snoop kits
    3. I love using trapped chests to 'self explode' myself for event type triggers and to just spontaneously e'splode.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Yup
  8. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Oh, and again, no research, but one more reason I want to see this in place: I've been slowly planning a non-combat dueling event that will require proper function of popboxes. No further details will be provided until it is fixed. :mrgreen:
  9. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

fyi if you have an unlocked, trapped box on your person and someone snoops it, they will incur the trap effect. my experience is that explosion traps are lethal and poison traps are highest level. this will consume the trap and you will have to re-trap the box.
  10. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

So it works even though when you 'unlock' the box it says it disables the trap?
  11. Downs

Downs Member

mechanics should be that if you trap an unlocked chest, the chest is armed, ready to trap. if you use a key on it to lock it, it will trigger if lockpicked and opened or smashed. once locked, if unlocked, the trap is disarmed.

If thats how it works, ill be the top pk here once i make my tinker!
  12. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

13. Unabomber

Unabomber New Member

Please correct the tinker traps!!!
    The bomber needs MC's!!
  14. Ganklord

Ganklord New Member

This Needs To Be Fixed ASAP.
  15. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

I certainly agree!
  16. fooka03

fooka03 Well-Known Member

From March 9th, 2000 patch notes:

If we're fixing the damage, we need to make sure the rest of the mechanics are addressed. Sure won't make thieves happy, though it looks like there will be no murderer Downs...
  17. Downs

Downs Member

Seems like some trammel that doesn't belong. I like my notes better
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

We are open to a system that suits the servers mission statement of "History Perfected".

With all systems we start from a baseline value of the mechanic as it was known in 1998/1999. Either by researching the UO Demo, development logs, stratics, or patch notes.

Once that is determined we review Publish 1-16 for any additional changes to understand why the system works as it does now.

From that point we review the changes to determine if they were made specifically for trammel? Of Influenced by trammel?

Then we take the role of the Origin developers and imagine, without trammel, how would this patch have been handled differently.

Once we have completed these steps we being working on a patch for the issue. Fishing/Masonry are two good examples of how we reviewed something OSI created and improved it for a felucca only world with a balanced economy.

That said, ideas are always welcome. So brainstorm, play devils advocate and think of ways we can restore classic "boom box" aspects while maintaining the vision of a balanced server approachable by all.
    Traviesty likes this.
  19. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

So anything happening with this?
  20. chumbucket

chumbucket Well-Known Member

I honestly think this is a slam dunk: Tinker traps made by GM tinker should kill anyone who isn't in full plate with 120 strength. It's a slam dunk, as I see it, because I don't think anyone would ever be opposed to it. It is one of those weird little things that makes UO fun, and, in my opinion, would seriously add to the perfection goal.

I would personally also favor the tinker getting a murder count. Gives the tinker credit, but makes trap factories have a real cost too!
    Lightshade and Gozinya like this.