Tracking defense as player

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Zyler, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

[06:56:43] <Wittol> are the defenses to it turned off? hide/stealth
    [06:57:01] <Zyler> hmm
    [06:57:05] <Zyler> yes
    [06:57:18] <Wittol> I'll go with that too lol
    [06:57:19] <Zyler> but a good sugestion
    [06:57:29] <Zyler> suggestion
    [06:57:51] <Zyler> however you could find leprechans
    [06:57:55] <Zyler> *couldnt
    [06:58:24] <Wittol> never tried it with mobs lol.. does it do orc scouts?
    [06:58:32] <Zyler> did hiding defense against tracking in old days?
    [06:58:51] <Zyler> yes should against orc scouts too
    [06:59:23] <Zyler> maybe it could be used as defense with players and not NPCs
    [06:59:40] <Wittol> best I remember it did. At least you had to be near.. not pick up a 2x GM stealth/hide 3 screens away 100% of the time at 50 tracking lol
    [06:59:54] <Zyler> ya
    [07:00:10] <Zyler> Im going to post this
    [07:00:19] <Zyler> another good suggestion
    [07:00:23] <Rand> I found leps with tracking
    [07:00:29] <Rand> at least I did the first year
    [07:00:30] <Zyler> ya me too
    [07:00:35] DalavarAFK is now known as Dalavar.
    [07:00:53] <Wittol> its supposed to be detect + tracking vs hide + stealth
    [07:00:54] <Zyler> with like 30 tracking
    [07:01:00] <Wittol> I ~think~
    Wittol likes this.
  2. Wittol

Wittol Member

I kind of exaggerated on the 100% but it does seem a bit undefend-againstable. (since I dont think undefendable is a word, I'll make one up.) Also, if a toon had to have higher tracking and detect hidden to be effective vs. higher hide and stealth, something else would need to go down a bit, lessening their uberness on the offensive side.

I'll keep an eye out on this one. Kinda curious.

:)

EDIT: forgot to add detect hidden on offensive side.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Jupiter likes this.
  3. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Can you summarize what you're saying here? I can't make sense of the log and what you've said above.
  4. Wittol

Wittol Member

I'll try lol

Imagine if you will...

The characters...
    On defense...
    -Sneaky Slipfinger is GM Hide and GM Stealth
    -Hidemaster Bardman is GM Hide, zero stealth

On offense
    -Kojak McThiefbuster is GM Forensics, GM Detect, GM tracking
    -Murderous Mike is 30 tracking
    -Stattraining Steve has the 35 tracking bought at trainer to get skills to 700

The Scene.

Sneaky Slipfinger yoinks Kojak's runebook, runs out of screen by the time Kojak can put away his lollipop. Kojak then starts tracking and gets him on the radar. Kojak hunts down Mr. Slipfinger, detects him and shows him the light.

Working as intended.

Same sneak, Mr Slipfinger, goes to a different bank... steals a key from Steve. Steve had been drinking and was slow to react, but he tracks and picks up the hidden Slipfinger 2 screens away. He goes to see if Slipfinger will nicely return the key and hopes he comes out of hiding. Slipfinger goes blue in hiding.. recalls with key.

The end is nice, but if the sneak was hidden when Steve tracked, he shouldn't have even succeeded in tracking Sneaky Slipfinger.

Ok, we venture out of town to the hot farming spot of the day. Naw, we go to an IDOC. Sneaky Slipfinger is hiding in wait...

Murderous Mike pulls up to him. Says "Hi" to the empty space... followed by "<----------" while laughing. Casts Wiz Quas- kills My Sneaky. Mike then loots all the phat lewts, stashes it then heads on to the pharm. Hidemaster Bardman is watching two ogres fight as he remains hidden. Mike goes up to him, casts reveal again and takes his loot too.

I forgot what I was saying...

basically, back in the day... wasn't tracking way less effective at 30ish than it is here? Especially with no detect. Wasn't the defense to being tracked Hide and Stealth. And to be a better tracker didn't you add detect hidden? I may be wrong, but I remember having that role when I played my scout... find em, detect em.. so others could kill em :D

It seems anyone can have the same effectiveness with very little.

Dangit, forgot again.. any questions or remarks? lol
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I always thought that tracking skill corresponded to range...or screens away. As far as hiding....you can always track the trail of broken twigs and bent grass to their hiding spot. ;)

Perhaps I'm remembering a different era, though. Bering tracking would only invite different forms of grief, though.

Imagine tracking not working when you are replacing houses....Griefer's Paradise.
  6. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Detect, Hiding, and Stealth had nothing to do with Tracking back in the day. That was a nerf... er, I mean a "perfection"... made here.

I am not sure what the range effectiveness of Tracking was though.

I mean, the skill does ONE THING, and it can't even do that particularly well IMO.
  7. Wittol

Wittol Member

I found this here.
    In thread http://uorforum.com/threads/tracking.2458/

Chris says...
    It may just be me not seeing this. If it does work as he states that's what I was talking about. It sure seems otherwise though. :)
    Jupiter and Cady like this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It does seem to work pretty well. There just aren't many Stealthers around so it's not too commonly noticed. My GM Track/DH cop character seems to do just fine. :)
  9. Wittol

Wittol Member

Yea, I have one as well and do great with it. That's kind of my point though. It seems, we'd probably do just as well with 40 tracking and no detect. :)

I'm looking at it from the other side here. We should NEED GM Track/DH to locate a GM Hide/Stealth. That's nowhere near the case. A mage with little tracking will find the sneak, wis quas and voila.
    Jupiter likes this.
  10. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

During AoS stealth and hiding reduced the effectiveness of tracking I believe, for what that's worth. Also, and this was super aggrivating, stealthers couldn't be revealed with aoe/reveal spell either. It was a terrible mechanic imo.

I think tracking is really great here though. Even against stealthers I'm a fan of it. I get a lot of practice because stealthers are common sigil thieves (whether I think they're good or not). While it may not have a great chance of success vs these people, once it gets them it has them for good, so all this means is I try a few times. It's not perfect...and there are some serious annoyances, like sometimes the cursor just points to the wrong spot by 5 tiles or more, and often the cursor stops making you think the person hid and then it updates and moves again a couple seconds later. But considering the lack of really strong 7th skills for pure mages, I think it is a decent choice.
  11. Wittol

Wittol Member

Could this be why you don't see very many effective thieves in the world? Or, is it one of those post hoc ergo proper hoc situations lol

EDIT: added Blaise's point to add to point
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  12. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

As far as effective thieves...that's a whole can of worms. Noone goes to banks with anything valuable because thieves in deathrobes ruin banks. Thats why new players are always asking where all the non afk people are. We meet in irc to avoid getting picked at banks. Stealing is certainly a legitimate part of UO, i just wish there were better ways to implement it.
  13. Wittol

Wittol Member

I started going on about bank thieves and thieves in general then realized, yup a whole nuther can of worms, so I deleted hehe. ...most of it

Basically I was going to say something like... If thief/rogue types had any sort of defense against low tracking, they wouldn't be forced to work at banks wearing deathrobes and having nothing in inventory knowing there is a high probability of insta-death. It just seems to me that the risk of being seen by NPCs or someone running "guards" in macro at bank is the only thing a thief has to worry about. He knows he can be easily tracked by most anyone out in "the world," and its is why thieves are at banks and not taking many chances anywhere else.

LoL, I'm not advocating for thieves or nothing, I just want to be able to hide from ilk like Pork Fried Rice and the lot :D