Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by One, Feb 7, 2017.

Should repeated refusal to complete a transaction once an auction has ended earn a trade forum ban?

1. Yes

75.5%
  2. No

24.5%
  1. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
  2. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think this is a loaded question. There are some reasons why I would refuse a bid. I've spoken to Telamon about this and he seems to understand my point. If in the future my decision to refuse a bid earns me a forum ban because the staff doesn't see eye to eye with me on this, then it is what it is.

I will not, under any circumstances do business with someone who has or has attempted to scam me, or has a clear history of scamming others. In my opinion it is THESE people who shouldn't, under any circumstances, have trade forum privileges to begin with. I can't control who is banned or is punished. I CAN control who I decide to do business with.

@Air likes to use a very broad brush to paint me into some guy who just wants to refuse a bid because I don't like someone. His bad history with other people on this server has molded him into a sourpuss who likes to quote my refusal disclaimer as if I have malicious intent. I do not like Air. I would, however, do business with him considering I have no reason to believe he's a scammer.

I cannot control alt forum accounts nor do I really have the time to track down people who use them. If I am selling something that has the potential for me getting scammed then I should have the right to refuse a bid to someone who's first day on the forums and very first post on the forums was on my auction. I do many auctions that rely on trust, bags upon bags of maps/nets/resources/etc.. Trades like this require trust. Some people have trusted me with gating proceeds to their own CY's, again requiring loads of trust.

If I don't know you or have the ability to call you out or if you're reputation matters nothing then I will not do business with you. With that said, if I don't like you or if you killed me in game for years, but have a good reputation, then we will continue to do business. I don't like some people, but I have no problem with their gold.

I hope this clarifies some things on how I hold my auctions. I will not vote on this because, again, I think it's too broad to answer one way or another.

Edit: I should note that in my years here I have yet to have to refuse a bid to anyone.
    Holden, Canis and Zekaria like this.
  3. One

One Well-Known Member

WoblinTheGoblin, Zekaria and Cynic like this.
  4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

While I agree with this it's still technically against the forum rules. I find it's just easier to stay the course and just not do anything that's been wildly considered bad business. If I ever have to refuse a bid I'll state so in the same thread, in a clear and articulate manner, so that there's transparency amongst those I do business with. I've also never pulled an auction being bid on to sell to a "private buyer" mid auction. I think that's not cool either.
    Avery, Kiryana and One like this.
  5. Air

Air Well-Known Member

HOLD ME BACK!

[​IMG]
    Artex, eherruh, Kirby and 2 others like this.
  6. Air

Air Well-Known Member

Read Below in response to similar situation:

http://uorforum.com/threads/price-check-for-an-orc-devastator-statuette.18217/#post-166200

^ Check out what happens when people try to exclude that group from their forum threads.
  7. One

One Well-Known Member

WoblinTheGoblin likes this.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I've never understood why you would have to accept anyone's bid that you didn't want to.
    WoblinTheGoblin and One like this.
  9. Air

Air Well-Known Member

What's funny about this whole thing is I totally agree with that. I believe we should be able to include/exclude anyone we wish to do business with. But since I was corrected in one of my posts, I make it a point to support the staff in their decision since I was publicly corrected, even though they have not updated the forum policies.

Cynic and Iago automatically assume that I am against them and their group when I post these conversations, when in reality, I am just supporting the staff here...even though I agree with them (Iago and Cynic etc)
  10. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Trade forum bans should be: 1) rare; and 2) as a result of some flagrant violation(s) of the Trade Forum Code of Conduct.

Regarding the OP, I don't think that particular player's shady dealings have broken the CoC. Naturally the rules could change, but they need to be posted before enforcing them.

Having said that, I will not bid on any item sold buy a disreputable seller.
    Kiryana likes this.
  11. One

One Well-Known Member

WoblinTheGoblin and Zekaria like this.
  12. Christoph Brock

On the last few threads, it's hard to prove your first allegation unless you're a forum admin. I'd leave the torch and pitchfork at home for now and simply avoid bidding on his stuff.
  13. One

One Well-Known Member

WoblinTheGoblin and Zekaria like this.
  14. Christoph Brock

Then why post this? Just go talk to Chris. Our mere words are nothing compared to his mouse-click.
  15. One

One Well-Known Member

16. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Why bet if you do not have the money or go to the end, and then refuse to buy after the completion of the auction .... The point is elementary norms and rules of relations between the seller and the buyer. Never faced with this kind of problems, but I can say that if this issue is being discussed, it is necessary to make additions to the rules.

I noticed that in some auctions, there is an amendment to the conditions aimed at the abandonment of the right to change, cancel and end the auction at the request of the initiator! I think this is a competent approach, but even such protection can not save from an ordinary deception and, in rare cases, symptoms quarrels...

In any case bans and penalties system is difficult to implement, it is extra work for moderators. Well, if it will be able to make themselves the initiators of the auction it may also lead to a biased assessment of the situation.
  17. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member

I don't think we need regulation on this. The market will regulate itself in the form that people will refuse to sell and buy from a repeat offender.

I do think people should have the right not to do transactions with people who've they had bad experiences with or who they have blocked (you can't see the posts anyhow)

As a thief player, I've always encouraged fair trades, it's just the right thing to do, and better for everyone in the long term.
  18. One

One Well-Known Member

WoblinTheGoblin, Avery and Kiryana like this.
  19. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

I do agree with your theory Jack, except that Uncle Donnie's posts target new players. All of the participants in the taming scroll were relatively new and had no idea who Gambit/Uncle Donnie is. I think there should be protections in place if for no other reason than to protect new players.

P.S. @One I didn't read your post until after I had written this. Well said.
    WoblinTheGoblin and One like this.
  20. Supra

Supra Active Member

When I sold Donnie/Gambit a tamer scroll some months ago, he mentioned that he never participated in one. I gave him the advice to get some additional help of vets that offer free help, when he intends to run it publicly. I told him some names too. It seems like he didn't follow my advice.

Anyway, my opinion is that in case he used up his scroll and just didn't manage to finish it together with the group he assembled, he shouldn't be blamed for it. There can be no guarantee for succesful completion of the taming quest, especially with alot "newbs" and not enough vets. A single wrong pull is enough to whipe a group of veteran players even. When he offered partial refunds, that was a sign of goodwill. However, it's pretty lame to make a offer and then back out of it.

Above said doesn't consider all the other scamming/griefing stuff Gambit tries, which should be forbidden in public Trade forums. I just don't think one should punish him for a failed taming quest attempt as long as he tried to succeed.