Trammell

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Kochampftt, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Okay, so I hate being a stickler, also absolutely love having found this shard. That being said I will also add that it is AMAZING thus far...

BUT! The name, the title...ehh....History Perfected, gotta say, it's false. I mean, Trammell was added with Renaissance, I think it was like 4 March or May 2000 right? And UO didn't reach it's peak until 2003((so far as subscriber base counts for anything...which I say BLAHHH to that LoL)). Just saying, Trammell would be cool for the dungeon crawlers.

This is all.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Trammel is what most real UO Players consider to be the downfall of UO. Hence, perfected means removal of that division of the lands and addition of mechanical changes that make sense in the grand scheme of things.
  3. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Well, just to play devils advocate, I would say that the HARDCORE base would agree with you((and me)) on that statement, however the numbers show differently, again Renaissance was 2000, when UO was around 100,000 subscribers and in 2003, which was what like Lord Blackthorns Revenge or something????, the player base was at its peak of 250,000 subscribers before beginning to fall off at the end of 2003.
  4. Liberation

Liberation Well-Known Member

Brittney spears is more successful than Talib kweli, discuss.
    Urza, Basoosh, Wodan and 1 other person like this.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

You can play devil's advocate all you like. The fact of the matter is that Feluccan UO is not for the faint of heart, or the candy-ass generation of gamers that are clinging to games like WoW and can't suffer tangible loss or negative impact from other players in their game time. The numbers of the age only mean that EA was spot on course for making more money from UO, not making it a better game for those of us who enjoyed the grit and hardship of Felucca.

A lot of awesome things happened in this era but I never got to play with them because the world split between the hardcore and the candy-asses. I wasn't having it, so I left. Not that I'm tough but I don't want to play where there is no risk aside from monster AI.
  6. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Well, I don't think EA had their hand in Renaissance right? I think they were in the next expansion, can't remember the name of it. It was always a choice, Felucca, YEW gate, was still Felucca, YEW gate, regardless of the split.

Again, just to be on the same page, I agree with you, couldn't have said some parts of your last statement better. HOWEVER, Trammell did draw in some crowd space
  7. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Plenty of dungeon crawling fun to be had on this server. Strength in numbers. Get into a guild and crawl away! Lots of guilds have pvm events. Just keep an eye on the forum and in irc.

Welcome to the shard!
  8. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

For the record, EA had bought up OSI before Ultima 7 came out; LONG before UO was even a pipe dream. Whether they called themselves OSI or not, it was always produced and largely directed by EA, from the start.

The crowd that Trammel drew, quite simply, will likely not find the appeal here unless they're willing to experience the game without that facet. We have some of these types here. We also have lost many who found that this shard did not contain enough of the Trammel feel for them. Its the unfortunate breaks when you take something subjective and aim for further refinement.
  9. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

UO subscribers would had risen also without trammel. I remember first log in to UO with 56k Modem. It was the time of upcoming faster and cheaper private internet accesses.
    UO has changed much in time. All idead packed into one game is not good. I didnt liked samurais and ninjas. I didnt like the diablo damage mechanics - and i was surprised by trammel - which i also didnt like after i found out there was no more challange left in game.

All MMORPGs should have a strategy of splitting up the game on bigger changes.
    I dont like it that games i liked are destroyed. Once gone subscribers are not easy to bring back.
  10. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

Hey Kochampftt,

I also came here with a pretty trammy attitude as well. But unfortunately, this is the server I wanna play and there's not other like it. The setting, the player base and the mechanics/economy are just unique and exactly what I was looking for. It took me a while to get used to the rules here but it's not as bad as you imagine it.

The problem with Trammel is that it boosts the short term motivation while it kills the long term content of the game.
    And that's exactly what OSI went through, Trammel brought huge amounts of new players that could all farm gold 24/7 and never/rarely loose their valuable equipment. To keep people playing the game, it was turned into an item based games like most other MMOs at that time. That was the downfall of UO for me personally since I enjoy to play a skill based game.

You will also experience that this server doesn't have a thick PK crowd most of the time. Just get used to some of the safety precautions, have your recall macro on a hotkey and your backpack thieve proof and you will have very little problems. Oh and make sure you exercise proper house security once you can afford one.
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

Guys, guys, guys. Looks like me and Blaise insight a good conversation ;). As I said, I played the game in 97, I remember a lot about the game before 2000 and LOVE IT. I'll get things right here as well I'm sure.

I agree with many of the things said, minus EA having their hands in the game before whatever cam after renaissance, and I embrace the ERA :).

I was simply stating that, in order to be historically correct to the renaissance era you would need Trammell LoL.

BTW, I do want to find one of these guilds that do pvm :)
  12. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

The era accuracy this server is all about simply denies Trammel with all it's consequences.

Runebooks are not blessed !
  13. boothby

boothby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

The point of the server isn't to be historically correct or 100% era accurate...it's to be "history perfected", ie. improve on what was good and do away with what wasn't.
  14. Lethius

Lethius Member

I had quit UO for about a year or so, THEN I heard the news about Siege Perilous opening up. I went back just after opening of SP, and lo and behold I loved the way the game played even better. Ren rules!

So, for me, Renaissance was utterly devoid of Trammel. Never saw it, never wanted it, never missed it.

My only gripe was initially having to cut one bandaid at a time. Four hours of attended macroing to get a decent stack. (I ranted loudly about that on Stratics and in the next patch you could cut an entire stack of cloth into bandies, so you can probably (in part) thank me for that innovation, not all at once, but gold will be accepted)
    Jupiter likes this.
  15. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I would suggest making a miner with magery and fighting the new trolls! We get all kinds of new non-era mechanics here !

All jokes aside, I appreciate the forward thinking the staff here has.. but the population is just too small to split the world. The best way to attack this is with instanced dungeons like the AMIBs. I would suggest buying or fishing up some of these for a private adventure!
  16. Lethius

Lethius Member

Here's my planned miner/smith:

100 mining
    100 blacksmithing
    100 tactics
    100 macefighting
    80 anatomy
    80 healing
    70 tinkering
    70 magery

The trolls can have my ore when they pry my warhammer from my cold dead hands.
    Liberation likes this.
  17. Kochampftt

Kochampftt Member

That's hilarious Lethius!
  18. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Why tinkering? To make new shovels with the ingots you smelt?

I'd definitely suggest Healing to GM. Even if there's no other room for any other skill to move, I'd suggest GM Healing and 60 Anatomy.
  19. Lethius

Lethius Member

Yes, to make shovels. I like the self-sufficiency of being able to make them as I need.

Healing at 80 - my thought is that I would like to be able to resurrect someone, should they get into trouble. It seems like enough?
  20. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

Lethius.. I do not rec less than 70 tinkering. You should have a regular success rate with the picks/shovels at 70. Based on recent complications with the mining process, I suggest the following:

Create a character with 50 smith, 0 magery.. GM his mining for crafting/smelt purposes only. Have him sit around and get ingots from a pure miner.

Then create the character you listed above, but drop smithy for more GMs. I don't know if you can kill trolls with that template. I am currently gunning them down with 5!!! EVs.