Trapping NPCs/monsters inside locked houses - is this ok?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by compsays, Mar 19, 2017.

1. compsays

compsays Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Love to train my newer characters by fighting the Lords at the Orc Camp just north of Ocllo but in nearly 40 minutes today, none spawned. Odd, I thought; I've never had that happen before.

Then, running around randomly just now, looking for Leprechaun spawns, I found one, locked in a house with a player character. I've seen evil pirate/sailors/brigands trapped inside a house near the brigand camp a fair few times but this is the first time I've found the island's single Orc Lord spawn locked in a private house, with no public access.

Against the spirit of the game, obviously but is it against the letter of the (UOR) law? Are the authorities bothered by this?
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2017
  2. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

One of those things where if it were to re-spawn, there is the possibility that an area will overfill with a certain type of monster that won't de-spawn. It's nothing a quick EQ won't take care of if you really need "that ord lord" or "those sailors in occlo". I'd wager that training is exactly what that player was doing. I can't imagine it's against the rules the way I see all the trammeler training dragons on elementals in their houses, newbies macroing barding skills around northwest occlo, and risk-averse miners killing things from their "mining house".
    One likes this.
  3. compsays

compsays Active Member

Delighted to report the situation has been remedied :)

Hats off to Tomas Servo for passing on the welcome news to my character, Ian Healme.
  4. jutt

jutt New Member

Ya, that was my char. Sorry about that. I'm new to the server and was just trying raise some barding skills. I thought it was fine, especially since it's suggested in some of the barding guides. By the way, thanks for not killing them both whoever killed the orc lord .
  5. Cromwell

Cromwell Member

Way back in the long time ago, on a shard far far away, used to be able to gate monsters. Kept an Ogre Lord and Lich Lord as personal training dummies. Would gate in hell hounds for the newbies hanging out in the harpy room. :D
    Jakob and One like this.
  6. compsays

compsays Active Member

No hard feelings, my friend.
  7. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

It is actually not against the rules per se. The monsters will despawn 24hrs after being trapped. Some people might find it to be poor form.

There is a difference between training a dragon/ww/mare with an elemental, though, as those are "forced spawn" more than "natural spawn" and as such there is not a finite number of them at any given time. More can be mined up.
  8. Halabinder

Halabinder Well-Known Member

9. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member

Monsters might be disappearing from houses within 24 hours, but not outside of houses. In theory, anybody could grief the hell out of the shard by luring all overworld spawn away. In theory it could be lured even out of reach of any normal player. I always found it nice that no a-hole did that before in a systematic scale.

This said, spawning elementals still are missing from caves from time to time. But it's only a matter of time until they usually return.
  10. compsays

compsays Active Member

Cheers for the exp :)