Treasure Hunter BODs

Discussion in 'Era Discussion' started by Anarchy, May 7, 2014.

1. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hey,

how about BODs for treasure monster hunters?
    There are so many ruin might guarding and more stuff which is just sold to NPC for cheap money - also force is mostly worth nothing - there is no very good market on this shard for magic items.

I do not have a ready concept.

It could look like the current BOD system with some little modifications because you "can not choose" what you loot.

Magic Weapons small BOD may look like this:
    20 sword weapons of might (you can use any sword weapon - but no axes -> there is an extra bod for this)
    A Magic Weapons large BOD may look like this:
    20 swords weapons of power
    20 axes of power
    20 maces of power
    10 fencing weapons of power (they are so damn rare!)
    10 bow weapons of power (god they are more rare as fencing... hmp!)

This may also work for Magic Armor:
    20 random plate parts of hardening (and so on and so on)

What is the profit?
    The profit is that it would give magic weapons of force and even less a price - currently maces of force are trash and any other magic item of might or less or guarding is also trash.

How to get a magic items BOD?
    huhm - i dont know! By a "hunter quest"?
    Find and kill this beasts: (random)
    - a polar bear
    - a lich
    - an ettin
    - (... give it all together 20 random beasts, 10 animals, 7 monsters with 3 premium monsters like "khaldun warrior"/"white wyrm"/"lich lord" which still can be killed by a warrior / non tamer)
    Only one bod each account and 24h

Magic Weapon Bod rewards?
    - Magic items bod books (low reward)
    - Magic enhancment deed of damage / of tactics (lower mid range reward -> rise the magic level by 1 of a weapon -> power may get vanq, +20 may get +25)
    - Weapon transmutation deed (only useable in magic shops -> transmutate your "battle axe" to a "spear" or your "quarter staff" to a "bow". Fixed "one-way" transumtation)
    - Slayer enhancement deed (give a magic weapon the slayer property) (for example for 15 items LBOD of force)
    - Super Slayer enhancement deed (give a magic weapon the slayer property) (for example for a 10 items LBOD of power)
    - Temporary bless deed (factions may do it - why not non factions? bless a weapon for 14 days - for example for a 20 LBOD of power)
    - Some trammy rare items rewards (anything super rare for 10 LBOD of vanq)
    - the ultimate 20 LBOD of vanq reward is: no idea!
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Hawkeye likes this.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Treasure hunters already have the custom-developed level 6 maps, as well as a viable way to Ironman the AMIBs on this shard. That's a ton of development time and effort spent on this particular profession already. Have you tried those yet? I found them pretty interesting pursuits for my treasure hunter. The level 6 maps are still a crazy challenge, which I haven't really figured out how to do efficiently.

One of my favorite pictures from this shard:

[​IMG]
  3. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Mh, i should rename the topic - but its not possible i think
    What i mean is not the profession of treasure hunting but the "dungeon hunter" or the typical active "monster killer"

It hurts that i find force weapons (better than any GM!) and know nobody will be big interessted to buy such stuff.

So what to do with all the magic weapon pixels?
    Why not let them be collected and "BOD"-ed.

The example rewards "magic enhancement" is a sure "+1 level" of a weapon. Farmed forever for this vanq+25 but only found a power+20? Use 1 +dmg enhanc and 1 +tac enhanc.
    Farmed forever for this slayer? Fill a LBOD and let your before enhanced +25vanq also enhanced to a slayer.
    Yes its efford to fill the bods - more more as it can be for a smith because its random.
  4. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member

There's also a Cleanup Britannia event planned since forever ...

This will be the place where you turn in all your magic item garbage for some christmas eggs.
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

There's also Level 7 Maps on the drawing board. BoDs for Treasure = unnecessary/overkill.

For what it's worth, you CAN use your treasure for BoDs. Any 'normal' item BoDs can be filled with low end magics, as long as the base item type matches.
  6. Dalavar

You can also sell them to NPC blacksmiths, weaponsmiths, and armorers.

What I used to do, before I had ID wands, was bag basically every magic weapon and armor I found (save Bascinets, Cleavers, and other items that were clearly inferior). I'd ID them all at once, sort the keepers into appropriate chests, and sell the remainders (usually force/hardening and downwards) to NPCs. I found it was actually about as profitable, on a per-hour basis, as farming the monsters for gold themselves. Moreso if you include whatever value you place on the foritication and vanq weapons you end up keeping.
  7. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Exactly, before Telamon said there was going to be a CUB system, I'd bag up 300 stone of 'junk' items and use a sell agent at NPCs.
    Make about 5-10k per bag, depending on the items/quality. I only keep fort/invuln and power/vanq/slayers.
  8. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

I do the same.
    But why? Because there no market for force and even lesser power maces and swords.
    We should not speak about ruin+might - market = zero...

Lets bring it to the point:
    Currently it would be better monsters drop 100-500gp/kill (depends on monster str) and less but better magic weapons.

With a bod system there could be a market:
    - magic weapons/armor may be worth at least the npc sell price
    - its a passive gold sink because magic items are not sold to NPCs but sold to players or put in BODs
  9. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I would happily buy 100 of each magical platemail piece right now, if you have them available. With proper sorting, there already is a BoD system tied to it in one potential form.
    I'm doing BoDs right now, all of my bardiche small bods, 4 of the 24 are normal and with the success rate, I'll probably need a few more to finish up the normal bods. I think I'll run a restock agent for bardiches on the massive pile of low-end items from treasure maps completed over the last year or two :p

That said, I do think it would benefit the shard as a whole to remove drops of less than Force quality (I'd even go as far as Power) just to give a better market to player crafted weaponry and low-end runic weapons. Of course, that would need to include a drop frequency reduction to suit, so the end result is fewer total items in the world that are of no real use. However, the flip-side is that item gathering and sales to NPCs is a VERY core component to practically every RPG I've ever cared about. I mean seriously, who doesn't take everything? (me these days because I'm lazy)
  10. Urza

Urza Active Member

I see this getting rid of one large stockpile of goods on this server and creating another: More bods.

I think this is a well thought out idea and a good way to use magical weapons beyond PvP and PvM, but it would give me such a headache bod wise that I would feel like UO was more like cleaning my room than playing anything.
    Kane, [Mobolin] and Basoosh like this.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I literally just used 21 low quality magic bardiches to fill BoDs last night. I was short by two, so I put two exceptionals in a normal bod.
  12. Dalavar

These are both pretty prescient insights.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to clean my room.
  13. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Oh wow -- I didn't know you could use items that weren't crafted by you to fill a BOD.
  14. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Ok whoops, double post. But yes Vlar, any 'normal' bods can be filled with literally anything of matching item type. :)
  15. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I would like the option for gm remove trap to disable the mob spawn on tmap chests. (it makes sense, the spawn is a trap)
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No. GTFO with that madness. The spawn are the guardians of the treasure, not a trap. Jeez, talk about Trammie. :p
    The Watch likes this.
  17. Urza

Urza Active Member

Now Dalavar.... We all know that women should clean the rest of the house.
  18. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

Hm. It does not need to be a BOD System...

I maybe also a improved "clean up britannia".
    I think it would not count really if its a BOD or anything like a quest.

In start post i said something about a quest to get the BOD.
    It may also be a "pre quest" for the "main quest" with harder monsters for a higher item level.
    However i would not use not melee-able monsters in this quest (no ancient wyrm, no balron and harder?)

To collect 100 power weapons of different type is a much more harder job than "collect 10000 ingots and craft some exceptional stuff"
    It is for sure! And usually you cannot do it alone without buying from other players in a acceptable time frame.
    Vanq is even worse.

If i think right about - no - it does not need to be a BOD system - or at least it does not need to be a "random bod system"
    How about getting different bod types by doing monster hunting quests? You want this vanq bod? Kill 20 <this monster> and 20 <this monster> and 20 <this monster>
    You want this ruin bod? Kill 20 <skeletons> 20 <zombies> and so on.

At the end its nothing other than a "pefected" and value of item counting clean up britannia i think.
  19. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

Pretty much this. These would be accounted for once Clean Up Brit is complete -- magic items will provide a return for turn-in. Though, in this regard, Chris has stated that the return for Clean Up Brit will still be less than the return from selling the magics to vendors -- but at significantly reduced effort, as we will be able to place a Clean Up container in our homes.
  20. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

I think it'd be neat if you had some sort of quest to do a treasure map at every single location. You could get a trophy or something at the end.