Troubling News

Discussion in 'The Salty Dog Tavern' started by Oni Neaufire, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Oni Neaufire

Oni Neaufire Well-Known Member

Hans, Eritan and I were sitting in Headwater Lodge enjoying a refreshing drink after felling several pesky ratmen and harpies that had come up from the Southeast. "Hrmm,"
    grumbled Eritan as he took another gulp from his cup. When the veteran ranger starts making noises in his throat, something is amiss.
    "What is the matter, Eritan?" asked Hans as he peered up over his cup to see the ranger's response
    "Too many monsters coming up from the Paws area lately."​
    I, too, had noticed increased activity from the region of the Village of Paws, but I had not ventured that far for several days. This was my first outing in almost a week as I had been helping to train some of the new recruits. Hans had been busy collecting taxes and had not yet visited Paws to collect.
    "Maybe we should venture down there and check things out," I stated matter-of factly..
    "Very good idea, Oni," replied Hans. "I can also give the Ol wizard down there his tax bill."​
    We all laughed together as we finished our drinks and picked up our gear to proceed to Paws.
    Not knowing what to expect, we took ample supplies with us. Eritan's quiver was full of arrows, and I noticed Hans slung his spear over his shoulder with a leather belt The tax bill tucked away neatly in the inner lining of his cloak. A mage, well she is always ready.​
    We mounted up and rode towards the village. We ran into more undesirables as we continued to the southeast.
    "Argh, these worthless scum are so numerous. I thought Jupiter was supposed to be keeping this area clear. I am going to charge him for all the arrows I use," complained Eritan.​
    I noticed Hans had worked up a sweat using his spear to keep all the monsters driven away.
    "I think I shall raise his tax bill five hundred percent for the use of my spear to clear his land," quipped Hans.​
    We all laughed together as we finished off the last of the trespassers and arrived at the edge of the village.
    It was quiet as we we rode up to the wizard's tower. No one was about. So we walked up to the door of the tower and Hans opened the door. We walked in.
    There was an ominous feeling pervading the place. I looked around for some evidence of someone being at home. I noticed Hans removing his leather glove and wiping his finger on the table.
    "Dust! Too much dust!" he exclaimed.
    "Shows signs of neglect," retorted Eritan.
    "Poor housekeeping at best," I contributed as I looked around at all the dirt and leaves on the floor and the dust on the table.
    "Wonder how many days this house has been unoccupied?" I asked.​
    I noticed Eritan looking around for clues. "No one has been here for several days,: he said flatly. Eritan is never wrong when it comes to finding or tracking things. I began to have a bad feeling about the whole situation, and I was hoping Eritan was wrong. But I knew he was not.
    "Something is amiss," stated Hans.​
    My earlier thoughts had been vocalized.
    Then, I remembered something.
    "Perhaps the oracle knows where he is," I said optimistically.​
    We walked over to the library to consult the oracle of Jupiter's whereabouts.
    The oracle was not even visible, and worse, had hidden under a table trying not to be noticed.
    "Where is the wizard?" Eritan asked gruffly.​
    The oracle cowered under the table.
    I could sense the fear in the oracle.
    "Be gentle, Eritan," I cautioned. "There is much fear present here."​
    I turned my attention to the oracle and knelt down by the table to reassure the oracle we meant no harm.
    "Where is the Wizard?" i asked gently.
    "I know not. He has not consulted me in many days."
    "Another dead end." Once again Han's had interjected everyone's thoughts.

Oni Neaufire_10-9_21.39.jpg

We walked back out and began to search around for clues. Still we found nothing.
    The wind had picked up and clouds began to roll in.
    The weather began to set the mood for how the place looked and felt.
    Still there was no visible sign of activity.
    We were about to ride up to the guard tower to the North to see if the guards had seen Jupiter when we heard the distinct cry of an ostard to the west.
    We waited to see who was coming. It was Jackson Trawl. He looked tired and dirty, as if he had rode a great distance.
    "Hail, Jackson," cried out Hans, trying to get his attention.

Oni Neaufire_10-9_21.58.jpg

Jackson turned to greet us. He wiped some of the dust off his face and removed his helm.
    "Good evening Knights", he replied. "Wha.."
    "Where is the wizard?" interrupted Eritan sharply, cutting off the young warrior before he could finish his greeting.​
    Eritan is always about keeping to the task.
    "Uh.. I don't rightly know," stammered Jackson. "I have been away many days battling the undead. Is he not in the tower?"
    "No", answered Hans. "And the tower is in great disarray."​
    The statement caught the warrior off-guard, and a wave of apprehension came over his face.
    "Maybe he went to town, as he is oft to do, lately. I believe someone at the tavern in Trinsic holds him in some kind of regard.
    "Ah! How sweet, a romance." I said, trying to lighten the conversation and the mood.
    "Perhaps we should go to Trinsic to look for him, replied Hans.
    "Yeah, and you look like you could use a drink,also," retorted Eritan flatly as he stepped up beside Jackson and slapped his back. Dust flew up in a great puff.
    "And you can buy me one for having to deal with all these trespassers."​
    We all laughed and coughed as the dust settled in around us.
    "Let's ride," said Hans.​
    We mounted up and headed down the road to Trinsic.
    Once again, we had to clear a path as the area had been overrun with undesirables.
    As we neared the city gates, Hans stopped his horse and drew out a book and began to right in it.
    He showed it to me once he had finished. It read..
    "Must report to the High Paladin that the way to Trinsic is not being kept clear."
    "Dangerous for unarmed travelers."​
    I nodded in affirmation.
    He put the book away, and the journey continued into the town.

We rode to the local tavern of Trinsic, The Keg and Anchor, and went inside, sitting down at a table close by the door.
    Jackson slumped in his chair and closed his eyes.
    The events of the last few days had all but exhausted him: The long trip home after fighting the undead, the trip to Trinsic with us and the thought of the Grey Wizard being absent had taken its toll.
    "SERVICE!" barked Eritan.​
    We all jumped as the peaceful solitude of the tavern was broken by the blast of the trumpet-like yell of Eritan.
    Jackson nearly fell off his chair as his peaceful repose was upset.
    He bumped his leg on the table leg upsetting the table items.
    A cute barmaid started coming towards our table as we hurriedly collected ourselves and straightened the table again.
    "My name is Yvette, and I am ready to serve you."​
    She took our orders and walked away.
    She was soon coming back.
    She seemed very efficient.
    "Yvette," asked Hans very politely, "do you know a man named Jupiter? He is also called the Grey Wizard.
    "I do," she replied.​
    I noticed a slight blush come to her face and her eyes began to gleam.
    The item of interest had been discovered.
    She was the reason for the frequent visits to Trinsic.
    "Have you seen him recently?" I implored.​
    The gleam seemed to leave her eye, and she looked down.
    "I have not seen him in over a week, and then he seemed to be distracted about something."
    "Did he give any clue as to what was causing him to be pre-occupied?" Hans asked.
    "He kept mumbling about some trolls not far from here. When I asked him about it, he quickly changed the subject.
    That is all I know."​
    We thanked her for her time and finished our drinks.
    Jackson dropped a few coins that amply paid for the service, and we walked out.
    Trolls." The words rolled off Eritan's lips. "Bah! Trolls would be of no concern to the wizard."
    "Maybe something in the troll cave had him distraught," I said.​
    The sun was beginning to set. We decided to stay the night and begin anew the following morning as everyone would be rested
    and better able to continue the search for the Grey One...

Oni Neaufire_10-9_22.32.jpg
    Aeritas, Vlar, Wise and 2 others like this.
  2. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

If you find that old purveyor of magic make sure to send him by East Britannia where a house a long the road leading outside of the city needs his attention.
    Lord Krake and Oni Neaufire like this.
  3. Oni Neaufire

Thank you, Wise, and I will tell him if I should find him.
    Wise likes this.
  4. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Many thanks! Please also remind him to bring that special pipe-weed he usually picks up at the Buccaneer's Den. ;)
    Vlar and Oni Neaufire like this.
  5. Oni Neaufire

I wish to honor the memories we all have coming to know and love this one who has come to this realm as Jupiter.
    Hence the story,legend if you will, as to the reason of the disappearance of the Grey Wizard.
    You cannot simply walk off the stage and not have the reason of your leaving recorded, especially such one as the Ol" Jupe.

This is the legend of the disappearance of Jupiter.

I invite all who will to come and have their names placed within this legend.

Should you like to be included, please let me know through this posting.

I will give ample time for all to participate with the Eternal Realm on this tremendous undertaking.

Oni Neaufire,
    High Mage,
    True Knights of Brittania
    Wise and Jupiter like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

This story has been added to the oral history of Paws.

MEMORIZED!​
  7. Aeritas

Aeritas Member

Eritlan got dog faced drunk and started stealing Jackson's ale. Please forgive our companion. I believe a missing friend weighs heavy his heart and mind.