Unattended Resource Gathering - Vacuuming Up the Cotton that Somebody Else Picks

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Steb, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Steb

Steb New Member

I'm sure there are a great many of us on this server who gather cotton from the various cotton fields. I see a lot of people who are AFK running an unattended macro that will pick up the wool near to them when somebody else picks the cotton. In other words, I pick the cotton, but this guy's unattended macro steals the fruit of my hard labor.

For example, in the picture below if I walk up next to this person who is unattended and I pick the cotton, his macro will immediately "vacuum up" the cotton that I just picked.

Developers and shard administrators, please consider adding "picking up wool" to the anti-unattended resource gathering verification program so that we can stop griefers like this! This guy is in Delucia near the stables at this very moment running his unattended macro.

Thank you for looking.

upload_2018-2-25_19-6-19.png
  2. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Hi Steb,
    As a fellow cotton picker, I find this very annoying myself. However it's not a macro that they're running but rather the scavenger function in Razor. It's a lot more efficient to double click the cotton and then have scavenger do the work of picking it up. I use this function myself.

*Edit* The anti-afk gathering system checks double clicking cotton but not picking it up, which means that scavenging cotton won't trigger it.
    Since picking up an item is very difficult to track, it's unlikely that it will be included in the anti-afk check. I recommend killing him or making a thief and stealing whatever he's scavenged.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  3. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

ffs
    O'Malley likes this.
  4. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Murder them and take the cotton that they have so kindly collected for you.
  5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog Well-Known Member

Hey @Steb - firstly, I feel your pain. I bought my first house on this server solely from the profits I made collecting cotton and selling the spools to the npc's - so as you can imagine I've spent my fair share of UOR time in the fields.

Like others have said, this isn't entirely unnatended macroing as such as that would trigger the AFK gum, this is just the scavenger agent of the AFK player reaping the benefits of your double clicking.

It sucks, and it's going to happen, when I encountered this from a player not in the young program I would kill them. If they were in the young program and couldn't be killed I would place some markers around them and any cotton that landed within those markers, I knew, if double clicked would more than likely go into that players pack.

So make sure that you have the picked cotton on your own scavenger, kill them or place markers around them.

If you have Magery and have left the young program don't forget about the other cotton fields scattered around - specifically the ones in T2A, conveniently located by the bank!

Good luck!
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  6. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

See my edit above.
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  7. Merlin

Merlin Active Member

Unattended acquisition of cotton without a valid permit issued by cA is strictly forbidden.

Article VII Sec. 18 clearly states:

No person may gather, acquire, collect or harvest cotton in any manner deemed dishonorable, devious, duplicitous or in way deemed disruptive to others
    without an approved permit from an issuing authority. Failure to comply is punishable by death.

[​IMG]
  8. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

In strict theory, picking up an item is already done. When picking up (scavaging) rares, the AFK gump will be triggered and you need to respond. As a non-programmer, I would assume it would be easy to apply the same logic to cotton. HOWEVER, since I am not sure if the actual check is done when you pick it up or when it hits your pack, it could present problems when macroing that pile of 60k bales of cotton picked legally. If it is when the item hits your pack, and you set up a restock agent for cotton, then you'd have to check for afk gumps for something that is 100% allowed. It would also be tough to AFK gump the act of picking it up because one could argue that you're just moving it, and not actually collecting it.

These are the types of minute details that @Chris has to consider every time he does even the smallest change to the game, and for which I don't envy him.

EDIT: Thus the next best alternative is AFK checking the dbl clicking of the cotton plant.
    Orion GM BD likes this.
  9. compsays

compsays Active Member

It's the sole reason I made a thief character.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

... to be a cotton pickin’ thief?
    diran, Steady Mobbin and One like this.
  11. Avery

Avery Well-Known Member

After I realized my initial post might be incorrect, I pm'd Chris and asked him about it. Non-programmer here also. Just repeating what Chris told me. He said that, with rares, it's the initial drag from the spawner that's checked. Since you're not pulling from a spawner when scavenging cotton, that method won't work. The check is done on the double-click and then the cotton just becomes another item laying on the ground that's (I assume) subject to decay.
    eherruh likes this.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Makes sense. Thanks for clearing that right up.
  13. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

If this were made into an afk gump, scavenging cotton, wouldn't it pose the potential to get other people jailed by dropping cotton at obvious afkers feet?
  14. Larloch

Larloch Well-Known Member

Cotton! We talking about cotton?!? Im over here doing my thing and this dude is talking about cotton...ridiculous. Cotton! Cotton?? Cotton!
  15. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

you can take care of these guys in a variety of ways

1 - steal their cotton
    2 - kill them and steal take your cotton back
    3 - cast invisibility on them and their scavenger agent won't work - you get the cotton

I have used 1 and 3, but thinking 2 might be more fun.
    One and Orion GM BD like this.
  16. Steb

Steb New Member

Haha! You are the man, Merlin! Justice has been served!
  17. compsays

compsays Active Member

:D

Close.

A cotton-pickin' thief thief.
  18. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

Hey Steb..I got tossed in the UOR prison 3x in a 7 day period when i first started because i didn't know that i could move the picture over and it was popping up right as i was picking the gleaming snow white softness that i literally used to fund my first house and character with here. I will agree that afk gathering is a crappy move and makes for lazy people to obtain millions in resources!! But i have some pretty cool news! I think its almost impossible to afk gather and have a BOT pick the right choice on the images shown, because they are mixed up every time, and also some are hard to tell apart on rare occasions.
    • That is gatherer i believe they are using to swoop up your gleaming fibers of goodness, every time i'd see someone come into the fields to do the same i would either wait or stay out of gathering range and it proved to be a big help. Also there are troves of Flax and cotton in the lands of Sosaria From the magical shores of Glow to the Orc and mongbat infested Yew trees of the North! This being said, happy cotton pickin!
    • Now you can close! :p
  19. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member

I also think they’re a protected resource now. As in only young players can pick the cotton on Trammel island.
  20. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Playoffs!?!?! or Practice?!?!?!?!