UOR Boat discussion

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Kirby, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Okay, so as many people know, I am an avid fisher. Other than my main, my most used characters are the K$C Master Baiters, 3 nearly identical fishers, and my most used house is my fishing house. I got the prize for First Fish Caught in the latest tournament, and even have a vendor placed for the sole purpose of selling my amibs to one single person ( @Pirul ).

In spending so much time on the water, I have noticed some things about boats. I did work with @Pegbyter a few nights ago to figure some of this out.

(a1) Anyone on a boat can control it, without regards to where they are in relation to the tillerman

(a2) Only the character that originally placed a boat can rename it. In addition, this character doesn't have to be holding a key to be able to do it, and no other character (even if that character is holding one of the boat's keys) can do so.

Now, I thought that boats worked in a different way until it was shown to me that they didn't. I think we should have a discussion about things that people would like to see done with boats, and things that think SHOULD be done with boats. I'll start.

(b1) I feel that boats should be controlled by the person closest to the tillerman, rather than just anyone on the deck. I thought this was the way it was supposed to be. Now, I have no idea how to look up OSI patch notes to check for era accurate mechanics, and if anyone could help me with that, I'd appreciate it.

(b2) Anyone holding a boat's key should be able to rename it. If I place the boat with my fisher Kirby, and later go to the boat with my main Kirby and want to change the boat's name, I should be able to.

In addition, there are some things I think would be cool to see on boats (if they are even possible):

(c1) High Seas Expansion! (I know it's probably never gonna happen but a Kirby can dream, right?

(c2) I wouldn't mind having a 3rd speed available: Fast. This is something that was introduced with the UO High Seas Expansion, but it would be cool to have that feature alone available. We already have normal speed and slow speed. It would be really cool to be able to sail Fast, as well. Sailing across the open water takes a LOOOOOOONG time.

(c3) Something I think would be interesting would be to see if boats could have friends, co-owners, and owners, like houses do. Only a co owner or owner can rename the boat, only a friend can open the plank, stuff like that. I wouldn't go so far as to suggest boat lockdowns or anything. That would be bad. We don't want boats to become cheap houses, but having a friends list would be kinda neat.

What other ideas can anyone think of?
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

3. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

My roommate just had an interesting idea:

Right now, there is no reason to own anything but a large boat. There's no difference between the boats other than deck space. What if larger boats moved slower than smaller boats? Medium boats moved slower than small boats but faster than large boats.
  4. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I would like it to be easier to refresh your boat... maybe being able to click on the tillerman to refresh the boat if your key is in the bank, so you don't have to manuallly bring it with you all the time
    Kiryana and Kirby like this.
  5. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

That would be cool. It would be a benefit of having a boat friends list.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  6. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Grapling Hooks!
    Bigger Tracking Range on the Seas!
    Make Boats impossible for Ghosts to controll!

Seriously... Fishing is WAAAAAAY to safe!
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  7. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

Having different boat speeds would expand the possibilities of pirates
  8. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Yes.... this could be fixed with functionality added to a spyglass. Using the spyglass would tell you the coordinates of the nearest boat found in a wide range or something. That would be awesome and fixed the severely nerfed tracking problems at least on sea
  9. Pegbyter

Pegbyter Active Member

And what happens to the poor guy who ends up as a ghost on his own boat in the middle of the ocean with no way off? They have to be able to pilot the boat back to shore..
    Kirby likes this.
  10. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I agree. Ghosts have always been able to pilot a ship.

HOWEVER, I do believe correct mechanics should be that the priority of commands should be proximity to the tiller, and next being alive. So, the person closest to the tiller can control it, however if two people are next to the tiller, and one is alive and one dead, the live person takes priority.

I thought you were able to refresh the boat opening the plank from inside, even if without the key. Then again, I may be wrong.
  11. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I see no need for change. Boats work well as-is and fishing is a rewarding profession. Enough said.
  12. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I agree @Christoph Brock that fishing is great. My only real issue is with boat naming and control, as they don't seem to be correct.

I simply added the possibility of some minor changes to boats overall as a way to improve, if the GMs so wish.
  13. Ahirman

Ahirman Well-Known Member

I've never noticed any of these issues. :D

High Seas or something similar would be sweet!

I keep a key in the hold. put it in your pack, open/close the plant and put it back. ;)
  14. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

they use the stuck option and recall from the boat
    Zim likes this.
  15. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

I agree with the proposals of the vessel friends, it will give an opportunity not to carry a key and of course on the priorities of conning people / ghost. The idea of high-speed characteristics of the boat is interesting, but equally useful, rather more realistic.

With regard to the third speed, it seems to me unnecessary, although the idea has a right to life. Sam fished and crossed the oceans and seas, the speed seemed to me it is normal and realistic way, the sea is great, if it's too fast to swim it will not seem real and great.

Too Old For This ... likes this.
  16. Too Old For This ...

Too Old For This ... Well-Known Member

but without the ability to board the locked boat this won't be piracy - it will be simple griefing or killing for the sake of killing, then we should have the ability to board the boat via some mechanicas. For example tillerman has 10 000 HP and can be targeted and when he's at 0 HP you can unlock the deck with GM lockpicking.

Or leave them as they are now, I don't think that renaming of boats is a major change that will influence the gameplay and anybody, but Kirby will notice that.

As to refreshing - no need to make refreshing more simple IMO, as this will decrease the rate of decayed boats and thus will influence economy, I'd made refreshing even harder, for example you have to come to the shore and can refresh only from the shore - this will increase the possibility of being PKed with a key on your body when you are trying to refresh it from the shore or something like that.
    One likes this.
  17. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  18. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

I don't believe that boat refreshing needs to be made easier. It's quite easy now. You don't need to unlock your plank, just put all your boat keys in a pouch, then grab the pouch, recall on one key at a time, and open planks as you go along.

The boat renaming thing is irritating, but not game-breaking. My issue with that and the tillerman command thing is accuracy. It's more convenient for me to be able to control the boat from anywhere on it.

The rest of this thread is just fun ideas. History perfected, right?
  19. Kirby

Kirby Well-Known Member

LP shouldn't work on boat planks any more than it works on house doors.
  20. One

One Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023