UOR Duel League - Input Wanted

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Erza Scarlet, Jun 4, 2020.

Would you participate or be interested to join solo / as a team?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. Who cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Erza Scarlet

Erza Scarlet Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Hey guys,

There are numerous things that in my opinion could be improved in the current ingame dueling system

IMO the main issues with it right now:
    The duel roster is outdated
    The dueling scene is mostly dead
    Duels have no weight other than a mention on the website.

For this reason i am thinking that it might be a good idea to start a project ive had in mind for a while:

The UOR Dueling League!

I would like this to be a private dueling league.
    You signup, a match for you will be assigned, you arrange a duel with your opponent and report back the outcome.

We will track duel outcomes, overall win/loss %, ranking, etc

This will be done in seasons, with Seasonal rewards and Ladder wipes after a new season starts.

So, before i kick this off.. i have several questions to the community:

1) the most obvious: WOULD YOU PARTICIPATE?
    This will require some organization work both from my part, as well as other volunteers that want to take over organization.
    If the amount of participants is too little, it just does not pay off.

2) HOW WOULD YOU RUN IT?
    should the duels be a best of 3? how long do participants have time to report back the outcome?
    how long would a season last? should we use an elo ranking? LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS!

3) WHAT ABOUT OTHER LEAGUES?
    Having the same system to build a competitive 2v2, 3v3 or even CTF Teams could be a thing for the future.
    Is that something that would interest you? Would you participate with a team in this contest? let me know your thoughts

Please let me know your thoughts!
    Aurelian and Vincent Blackshadow like this.
  2. Balian

Balian Active Member

Great idea, count me in
    Pharoah and Xavant_BR like this.
  3. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Did it work with chess?
  4. Erza Scarlet

I had 4 people, my partner never really messaged me to arrange a match and it never really kicked off.
    Thats why i am asking first about public interest before starting something new again.
    Kiryana likes this.
  5. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

Lets make PVP tourneys great again!
    I will try to be there.. in the last i saw too late so i had no time to equip mine char... individualize it could be the thing
  6. Erza Scarlet

I do not plan this to be 1 tournament, where everybody has to be present.

A season will go over multiple weeks, and it will be the players that arrange the time of matches themselfs, with a system to track outcomes.
    In addition to that i will try to keep up the regular tournaments as good as possible
    Pharoah likes this.
  7. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

I'll try to get my girlfriend into PVP and see if we can't manage to do some teams, will be a long while since she doesn't know her keys yet
    Kiryana, Erza Scarlet and Pharoah like this.
  8. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

I'm down...
    Kiryana likes this.
  9. Erza Scarlet

I would hope to see such a team and generally more competition!

Question:
    How would you setup a team like this?

I was thinking of:
    (for 2v2 teams)
    2 players, 1 reserve. 1 arranged match versus an enemy team per week.
    Best of 3 (maybe 5)
    AOٌ likes this.
  10. Pharoah

Pharoah Well-Known Member

Is it for only teams? I'd need to really brush up on that cause id have to use my pure mage. Or will there be 1v1 as well?
  11. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

That sounds right, could even do a 3rd player wild card where he debuffs both sides but no damage lol all sorts of possibilities, will have to think on some ideas and see what happens
  12. fefe

fefe Active Member

I would absolutely participate!

I'd recommend best 2 of 3 because it reduces the impact of various rng factors.

How long it should last depends on how many people are interested I guess. Probably a couple weeks?

I would love to see 2v2 as well, I know others would too.

"The duel roster is outdated" In my experience duel rosters elsewhere are updated live or at every save? Although I feel like the current leader board isn't that inaccurate of who should be at the top. Sure there is the guy that kills himself over and over and I know most of the top 5 aren't active, but you would have a hard time convincing me they don't deserve the spot for the most part (those in the top 5x mage duels anyways). Of course this shouldn't prevent players new to the server from climbing up and getting recognition. Not much we can do about this from the community stand point though.

"The dueling scene is mostly dead." True, but maybe not as much as we think. Most duels take place on test to avoid spending 10k a duel on pots and regs. A simple fix would be to implement duel supplies based on which type of duel. Just regs for 5x, regs and pots for 7x etc. This would get players dueling on the actual server. If people see people dueling on the live server it's very likely the scene will get more active.
    Another thing this server is sorely missing is community implemented "rules" or rather gentleman's do's and don'ts in 7x duels. Its the wild west here unlike anywhere I have played including OSI. If you ask for a 7x in discord half the time you get players packing EQ scrolls, aggy runics, unlimited strength pot spams. The list goes on. I strongly feel if you want an anything goes 1v1 wand spamming field fight type duel, just take it to the field.. That doesn't belong in the pits and it never has.

"Duels have no weight other than the mention on the website."
    I couldn't disagree more with this one. Of course I can only speak for myself here but aside from great field fights I think dueling is the most fun thing in the game which should hold enough weight on it's own for people who are passionate about it. That being said, being rewarded for having fun is also great ^.^ Put some pixel or plat prizes up for grabs in tournaments and a lot more people are going to show. Plus if you want to prove you are better than somebody, you duel, that carries all the weight rite?
    Vincent Blackshadow likes this.
  13. Erza Scarlet

read the original post
  14. Erza Scarlet

I'd recommend best 2 of 3 because it reduces the impact of various rng factors.

How long it should last depends on how many people are interested I guess. Probably a couple weeks?

I would love to see 2v2 as well, I know others would too.

Dueling Seasons, seasonal Rewards and Resets.
    Winners would be eternalized, ergo deserved theyr place / bragging rights.

These are the changes i would like to accomplish on the Live server, if this is able to kick off in a way.
    Either back to free regs again, or maybe a dueling system with entry fee / free supplies.

Its bragging rights on the Website.
    Its easily to push it with duels against new people.
    Cheating the system, like this guy did, even goes unpunished?

how much more evidence do you need that duel ratings hold no actual value?

The system i would like to introduce will adress the following things:
    - Skill levels improve, its an actual display of win/losses per season, not overall
    - No fake duels
    - An actual display of active players of the shard, and the best duelists at a certain amount of time (i dont mind having the old names on the website, but if nothing ever changes there, then people have no intention to come back)
    - Bringing duels back to Live Server (as you said, most of duels happen on test server, and private houses. Again, do you need more evidence in this case, that the current dueling system is outdated if people rather use alternative methods?)
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  15. fefe

fefe Active Member

yeah man sounds good
  16. Erza Scarlet

Alright guys, we are doing this!

Ill put up the post once im done with the writeup!

Thanks for the input on both discord and here.

Season 1 Start will be announced soon!
    Pharoah and AOٌ like this.