Weapons: GM and Other Bonus Damage

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Zim, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Given 100% Combat ability, should I assume that the listed +4 damage for GM weapons is added to the dice roll?

ie:
    Broad Sword 2d13+3
    GM Broad Sword 2d13+7

Would this be a close enough approximation to in-game numbers to base some weapon stat stuff on?

???

Thanks!
    -Zim
  2. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Zim. You, Erlkonig (Wurm) and me are probably the only people that ever properly tried to understand and research the dmg formula on UOR. And we never came to a conclusion, because back then it was so incredible complicated and we didn't get any support from Staff. They obviously don't want to share the formula. It's considered a secret...

My strong guess is, that nobody can answer your question in the OP for sure, but my understanding was up to now that the GM weapon damage is always added in full to the base damage. So yeah, maybe it's added as +2 to the dice roll, or what I would rather assume: it's added after the dice roll as a fixed +4... but maybe it's not...
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  3. bwillb

bwillb Active Member

I was trying to figure out weapon damage the other day, going through old posts. It was suggested that the calculation wasn't really a dice roll but just a random number in the given range. Is that still true?
  4. BlackEye

BlackEye Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The random number generator immitates a dice. If we look at 2d13+3, i.e. two "dices throws", then the RNG will generate two numbers between 1-13, add them, and add a +3. (actually, the OP asked, when the +3 are added... after the throws or inside the throws as 2x +1.5)

In other words, the amount of dice throws is considered in the RNG and thus indeed decreases the chance to get the extreme numbers.
  5. Zim

Zim Well-Known Member

Ive been doing a bunch of testing on the live server lately and what ive found is that the damage done by a weapon is pretty much the listed dice roll provided you have 100% combat ability.

For example, i was trying to figure out how fast weapons wore out the other day and i was using halberds. I used Storebought halberds (no mods) and hit a naked man. The damage of a halberd is listed as, 2d23+3 (5-49). Every single hit except 2 fell in that range. The two hits that didnt were so close id almost guess it was a rounding thingy.

Id bet that the damage listed is what you get and that all +damage mods are added straight to the dice roll. Id also bet that your combat ability score directly affects that listed damage in a linear fasion.

so for example, with a weapon that did 10-20 listed damage:
    50% CA would give you 5-10 damage hits
    100% CA would give you 10-20 damage hits
    120% CA would give you 12-24 damage hits
    BlackEye likes this.