Welcome to Renaissance: New player help

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Blaise, Dec 12, 2012.

1. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I am drafting this thread as a multi-purpose effort. For starters, I want to personally welcome all players and their play styles, to UO: Renaissance. The greatest Renaissance era shard to be launched and built better with your help and feedback.
    There are various resources for your assistance in getting started here on UO:R. Namely, the community.
    First and foremost, the Guides section of the forums here are chocked full of helpful information provided by those who play here and have experience with the workings of the world of Britannia.
    For a live interaction with the players (who use it), there is always the IRC channel you can reach using the Shard IRC Web Client.
    Also, thanks Upgrayedd for reminding me, there is a proverbial ton of information to be found in the, unique to the shard, Compendium.

If you're seeking the comforts of four walls and a ceiling where you can rest your weary bones and call it home for a time, seek out Gideon's Tavern and New Player Housing.

Gideon Jura of Adventure Time is a trustworthy and friendly member of the community, willing to allow the use of a small home until you can get on your feet and make a home for yourself somewhere in this world.

Frenulum of the 555 guild can be reached via forums or IRC as well for support and new player housing.

As more players and their guilds take part in these efforts, I will update this post to reflect their information so you can find the help you need and assistance quickly.
    If you are a player here wishing to take part, PM me your information or post it here and I will append it to this post. Donations of basic resources will be welcome but we prefer to keep it simple in the form of providing new player housing and guidance. What resources you choose to donate, should be donated directly to the new player. No accounting or inventory will be kept by me or others for this purpose as it is truly a detraction from the experience of UO. Guidance and a place to call home is the best thing to provide. Anything beyond that, is up to the philanthropist and the new player.

So again, welcome to UO:Renaissance. May your time here be pleasant and enjoyable in the ways you always wanted Ultima Online to be. Also thanks to all who make provisions to support this effort!
  2. frenulum

frenulum Active Member

Outstanding!!

555 will also help out. We currently have various housing available as well as limited resources too. (but housing mostly)

-fren
  3. Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

That's a nice warm greeting. Sure beats getting ur newbie miner PKed.

Don't forget about The Compendium
  4. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
  5. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The latest Adventure Time addition to the new player assistance efforts is a free bandage system This will only work with continual use and contribution. If you are able, please use the sheep spawn runes and a gater/tamer combo to gate more sheep into this farm. I will be adding sheep on a regular basis as will others I'm sure. You can enter the pen from any path in the center but you can only exit via the rune on the westernmost table. This is a private building but remains unlocked for visitors. :)
    Free Bandages in the Adventure Time Guild Hall due north of Minoc.
    [​IMG]

Good luck out there players and have fun in Renaissance!
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi. very nice but you did forget to tell new players some important facts about the server; especially if they are a returning player who hasn't played the game in ages.
    1: runebooks are not blessed here and can be taken from your body if you die or are pked.
    2: When out and about, do not trust anyone; especially in a dungeon. Many players will send scouts into dungeons to see who is there, than inform their red friends or bring in their own red
    to pk you. Many players here use the Vent program, so they can speak directly to their co-horts.
    3: Do not trust anyone until you really get to know them.
    4: Is all of this worth playing on this server. Yes. The shard is a fun place, you can over time
    make good friends, enjoy tons of crafting options, build characters, build homes. The staff are
    hard working folks who are doing their best the make the world enjoyable for all play styles.
    5: Just remember, UO is a harsh world (regradless what server you choose); but isn't it wonderful to be able to tame a dragon or role play a orc.
  7. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

House decay cycle is 2 weeks! Don't forget to refresh your houses.

Some of us are used to two weeks, others who are not don't forget to log in at least once every two weeks, if you are going to take a break, or be on vacation you can friend someone to your house all they have to do is click the sign.
  8. Kryptonical

Kryptonical Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe just dbl clicking the sign refreshes here as well?
  9. Aegis

Aegis Member

it does :)
  10. Tater Salad

Tater Salad Renaissance Volunteers
    Renaissance Volunteers

11. Miles Davis

Miles Davis New Member

I'll come out and say thanks on behalf of many new players (i hope).

The best thing about a freeshard is its community (playing on them from '01 through 05') and that's what made me decide to play here. It's good to fight and tease each other but in the end it's good to do it within a friendly community! I hope this is a long stay :)
  12. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Hail everyone! I am new to the shard and although i don't mind making it on my own, I also don't mind a helping hand either. It's been a long time since I played Reinessance (spelling) but would appreciate it very much if someone could point me in the right direction on how poison works here. And by the way I am a nice guy and all of that but before this is over I will be the most talked about PK ever on this shard. I'm bout to bring some real drama up in here and you can count on that. But until that day comes i will just keep things nice and quite. Thank you to everyone in advance for any help or info you can provide. :)
  13. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Cheapsuit.

Poison during the Renaissance era was based on your magery skill, and distance to the target. The closer you are the higher the chance for deadly poison.

The chance to cure poison with the cure spell is based on magery as well.

Arch Cure currently heals any level of poison.
  14. Wulver

Wulver Well-Known Member

Welcome! PK? I need some more comedic relief.
  15. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Yay, more scum and villainy to add to our wretched hive of scum and villainy.

Welcome!
  16. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member

Thank you for the replies, guys. I was actually referring to poisoning weapons and how the poison stacks up against the mark etc. or do you still need magery or alchemy?
  17. Ulrik

Ulrik New Member

Hey Guys, New Player Ulrik here!

Looking for any assistance I can get in training my Chars (items Gold Bandages etc) Would really like to get into the action as quickly as possible.

Many thanks

Ulrik
  18. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Ulrik. There are a variety of players always available to help a new guy get started.

Check our chatroom at http://www.uorenaissance.com/irc.

Nice form avatar btw.
  19. Fullmetal

Fullmetal Well-Known Member

Welcome to the server Ulrik shoot me a message on IRC and ill see what i can do for ya.
  20. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019