Whats the economy like?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Astragon, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Astragon

Astragon Member

Is there a need for crafters or does everyone have a personal one. I always enjoyed making my main character a crafter, but I know the enjoyment of that is based mostly on how the economy is doing.
    Kishember likes this.
  2. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  3. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Just gotta find your niche! Welcome aboard!
  4. Astragon

Astragon Member

Thanks guys. I'm assuming since AFK resource gathering is illegal resources are going for a nice premium? I am one of those nutty people who actually enjoys resource gathering. Speaking of which, how do resources spawn on Renassiance? Can I make Runebooks with colored ore locations or do the locations randomize and change?
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

The best way to gather ore/ingots is actually battle mining... So I'd look into that.

With BODs (and subsequently; BOD addicts.) ingots are always in high demand.

Welcome to Renaissance.
  6. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Yes, ingots and boards are selling for record highs right now, with boards set to shoot up when carp BODs arrive.

Yes, ore veins are statically located.
  7. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

We also have a good market for fishing rewards, if you are into that.

We also have a brand new t-map instance, so farming t-maps is also a good way to make money (selling maps or doing them).

And the classic resource gathering, like people have already said, is a great way to make money and get that old school UO feeling.

Finally, if you had any interest in joining the rare hunting business, once you get the hang of it, its very profitable.

Welcome to UOR! Message any one of us who have replied to this thread if you need help in game!
    Ducky likes this.
  8. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

Welcome to UOR Astragon!!

The anti-AFK resource gathering system here is top notch and incredibly effective just always be ready for that gump to appear!
  9. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

You can do well as a crafter here, but you have a lot of well established competition that already have a steady and loyal client base. You're not going to be making millions of gold selling recalls or tables on a vendor.

Personally I've always considered the crafter/vendor game as supplemental income and a hobby some players do on the side.

However...

Mining will get you rich, if it doesn't make you quit the game first. I have my qualms with mining which I won't regurgitate on yet another thread. I'll put it to you this way, if you can stand to mine in a traditional fashion then you'll make a lot of gold.

Otherwise..

Traditional monster farming, treasure hunting, fishing, etc.. all are very profitable on the server.
  10. Astragon

Astragon Member

It's been great so far, I had forgotten how much I love old UO. Although I hadn't realized just how bad my typing skills and spelling had gotten over the years until I had to type everything out again. Joshuius was kind enough to set me up at a mining house with some starting cash and tools, which helped out very much. Haven't had a chance to mine much yet as I'm building magery so I can gate mine.
  11. Andersonius

You can set hotkeys for anything you will ever type like vendor buy, bank, all follow me, I wish to lock this down etc. etc. and then you will never have to type again!!!
  12. Geo

Geo Active Member

One peculiarity about the economy that I didnt notice mentioned is that slayers are REALLY expensive and Vanqs are REALLY REALLY Cheap. Possibly because of the OP of tamers but the floor is literally littered with power and vanq weps on this shard and the easy acquisition I feel takes a lot away from the excitement of getting an upgrade and the sense of danger you have when you go out into the world with it.

Still, because slayers are so hard to come by, if it wasn't for the availability of force and up weapons farming would be a lot harder for non bard dexxers. Not making any suggestions here just observation vis a vis original uo.
  13. Andersonius

How exactly do expensive slayers and cheap vanqs translate to OP tamers to you? Slayers are expensive because of a low drop rate on monsters. Generally the really good slayers only drop on boss monsters. Vanqs are really cheap because they drop a lot and people have accumulated many over time. Throw in agapite runics and up are better than a perfect vanq anything and you have even less being used in the field.

I accumulated stacks and stacks of vanqs before I ever even made a tamer but good plug on an issue that has been beaten to death recently.
  14. Andersonius

Oh and BTW my prove MAGE not TAMER is still 3rd in BOSS kills and I havent used him in over a year.

Thusly the majority of my best slayers came from farming with my provo MAGE that doesn't have TAMING.
  15. Geo

Geo Active Member

nerf tamers
  16. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Astragon
  17. Astragon

Astragon Member

Yeah, after I posted my message I found the "Vendor Buy" command. I had tried a few commands previously that didn't work, and assumed a simplified way of accessing vendors must have been added after the era, so I was typing out the vendors names. I should have been doing more reading on mechanics but I was too impatient and wanted to play. lol.
    Jupiter likes this.
  18. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

Join the club. That has been exactly my experience, too.
  19. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

THIS!

I've now deleted 3 different bard mages on this shard... but had I not and if all there kills were combined I'd easily be on the top list for multiple bosses.

Farmed MILLIONS and tons of vanqs on bards, no problem. (Less hassle than on a tamer even, to be honest... provoke, hide, loot, hide repeat)
  20. Astragon

Astragon Member

Do you not use blade spirits as well? Also, I never see energy vortex mentioned, is there a reason it doesn't seem to be used over blade spirit?