What's with the latency?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by r3ckon3r, Apr 18, 2019.

1. r3ckon3r

r3ckon3r Well-Known Member

I have tried playing UO:R on two separate lines, in two different places and I'm getting lag spikes every 3-4 seconds.

Connecting from the UK.

Did speed tests and tracerts on both lines and both come back with no packets/speed drops. Only on this shard.

What gives?
  2. r3ckon3r

Just checked ......... to test and it runs very smoothly in contrast. Confirmed issue on UOR.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2019
  3. Jeebs

Jeebs Well-Known Member

Yes it is a UOR issue. I believe its someone attempting to DDOS attack the server.
    It happens around the same time every night
    r3ckon3r likes this.
  4. r3ckon3r

Thanks Jeebs.. Hope Chris finds a way to stop it soon
  5. Leopold

Leopold Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I haven't been here too long, but from what I have seen these attacks tend to go on for a little while (1-2 weeks?) and then they stop. I speculate that could be because someone (a competing shard) only paid for a certain amount of this "service" or that the DDOS protection adapts and blocks it out. Telamon probably has better speculation though.
    RiffRaff- likes this.
  6. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

These DDOS attacks tend to be around event time (XMAS, Easter, etc) and also when there is an influx of new players. The intent is to drive people away. A couple years ago, it was pretty bad and Chris moved the server to a system that had ddos protection. That was mitigating pretty well and at worst, people were disconnected. This seems to last much longer. Yesterday, it was running great, until about 8pm MDT.
    RiffRaff- likes this.
  7. r3ckon3r

The thing is, this was going on straight away when I logged on for at least an hour until I logged off... No idea how long it happened for before and after logging off. This seems fairly detrimental to the server's status to me.
  8. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

Yes, this seems to something that the DDOS system is unable to mitigate. This isnt caused by a patch as we have not patched in a few months. It isnt caused by a population boom as we have been 30%+ higher.

It is detrimental to the server as they are trying to make it unplayable and drive people away. Hence they do it during events - which is when people want to play.

You have been around since before I was here, you should remember when the DDOS'ing went on for many hours.
  9. RiffRaff-

RiffRaff- Active Member

It’s annoying but that’s it for me, I can still play through it. Feel bad for people like you who it affects worse.
  10. Earsnot

Earsnot Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Also in the U.K. And last time this happened was right before I took a break from UOR.

I'll just get stuck somewhere randomly and not be able to log back in for 30-40 minutes then when I finally could log back in I was obviously dead. Hella frustrating.

Have you tried a gaming VPN that's based in the states? I think I remember someone saying something about that previously.
  11. r3ckon3r

Nah I started in 2014 but only played for a few months and then returned in December last year. I have only noticed lag in the last few weeks
    Steady Mobbin likes this.
  12. Steady Mobbin

Steady Mobbin Well-Known Member

Same here.

What kinda DB takes time out of their day to sabotage a UO server? I mean WTF?????

Im assuming this is formal disgruntled players? reading the forums I have noticed there a lot of prominent former players who have been banned or something as you cant visit their profile pages. Maybe its one of them. Or another rival server.
    r3ckon3r likes this.
  13. JohnM

JohnM Well-Known Member

While it could be a disgruntled ex or current player, the likelyhood is low.

Typically it is a rival server that collects real money in exchange for items. We are taking their opportunity to make money away, therefore we are the target.
  14. r3ckon3r

So what's happening with this? Seems to happen for a long time without intervention. @Chris