What's with the Slow skill gains here?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Raylan, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Raylan

Raylan New Member

It's taking me forever for swords and tacts and im only in the 30's! I have tried several different level animals and monsters....it's juts uber slow! Slightly quicker than taming. Maybe at this rate i'll just go work taming.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

? Melee skills should fly by. I'm assuming you're using a skinning/butcher knife and hitting someone with 0 Melee skills? Swordsmanship will gain by swings and Tactics gains by hits. Fastest weapon + Most hits = GM in under a day.
  3. Raylan

Raylan New Member

I have been trying everything from rabbits up to ettins and harpy's. I finally just hit 40 swords from 34 this morning. 2 hours for 6 points...that normal? I have been getting some minor gains from lizardmen of late but still slow!
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I started out on my naturalist character (I have one char that I play without Razor or macro training).
    http://www.uorenaissance.com/?page=m_player&id=104976

I have two days and 20 hours of play time and at a best guess, only about 2-3 hours of that is 'idle' time where I wasn't playing. Not to say I was constantly hitting things, but I'm usually killing stuff when I'm on, despite being slow about organizing my bank or walking across Britannia to see the Village of Paws. ;)
    I just hit GM anatomy a week or so ago. GM swords hit relatively quick, but I also started out with 50 healing, 30 swords, 20 tailoring. I never used a skinning/butcher knife for faster gains either. Just swords type weapons on monsters of all kinds (see kill history).
    Jupiter likes this.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Once you hit 30 or so, you're best off just swinging at someone/something that's GM.

Skill gain on many freeshards these days seems to be optimized well for macroing, but not for actually playing the game.
  6. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I disagree, it's still gaining fine. I've been out here for about an hour and I'm up 1.5 Tactics. Was 92.3 when I logged in.

Considering that you macro train with the fastest weapon, in ideal circumstances, of course it's going to be optimal. Out here playing like a character developing in an RP fashion, I can honestly say, now that I'm nearing my third GM skill, that gains are comfortable. Less than 3 days play time, for three GM skills, in 'less than optimal' conditions, honestly still seems fast.
  7. Anarchy

Anarchy Active Member

2 characters 4000 bandages 1 night
    thats all you need for gm any weapon skill with 100dex
    Biggest problem for me when i started here was to earn the first money for learning skills to 700 skillcap from npcs.
    Skillcap is needed to rise stats in realistic time.

I think skillgain (and statgain) should be much faster on usual playing as in macroing.
    I dont know how to make this possible - but macroing should not be the ultimate (and mostly only...) way to gain skills fast
  8. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

For stats, I still just turn on a herding macro. Super easy to set up, costs 18g, and you'll likely be very close to your desired stats by the next morning.
    ReZon likes this.
  9. Raylan

Raylan New Member

Thank you all for your help!
  10. Logan

Logan New Member

It's pretty damn slow. Last night it took more than 600 casts to go from 97.1 Magery to 98.3.

I've FS'd myself several thousand times and my resist is only at 83.6

Edit: and I started resist at 50.
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

The top end of Magery and Resist have always been slow. How many times must people completely forget/ignore the fact that the game was designed to take a year or more to 7x? Not one week.

Expect another 10k casts from mid-80s Resist to GM.
  12. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Or attend a resist party and save yourself the time & money!