Why dont make it perfect?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Daniel Cardoso, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Daniel Cardoso

Daniel Cardoso New Member

Hi, my name is Daniel, the first time i played UO was in 1998, the second age edition (with the cloath map)... Played on the OSI about 2 yers, after that stoped to work, played on free shards yet, but just for fun... Well.. Now i will go to subject of this post...

I believe this shard, is the last one to have more than 500 unique players at same time. I have an account for about 10 days, and is a good shard. So, because i liked the shard and want the game to survive a few yers more... Why u guys dont fix a lot of things i saw that need just a little time to fix, but will make the game so much smoother!

One example about what im talking about is the skill bônus by atributes, they dont work at all, i have a miner and i just collet the "new ore tipe" when the real skill (Without atribute bonus) reachs the correct value... Is so simple to fix that... have a lot of simple things, but will make the game so much better...

I know the UO is a great game for PVP ou PVM, each free shard develop system to improve one or another, or both... But the UO is today a great game engine, the graphic is older, but still good enouth, and have the best game play ever, have no game like UO in game play... Why not make it better? Im talking about in invest more time, or bring into the project others guys with time to invest in the server, to make a lot related to events, tournaments and quests... PVP and PVM... The UO world, in all games of the series (i played ultima 7 and ultima 8 before ultima onine), why dont make that kind of scenario. More dark and fearsome... Create a history, unique quests and events, that changing the world economy and society by the event result... Today is just about macro skills to get better to PVP... ok, thats nice, but for how many time? Why dont make better use of the world, today is about Occlo because of the newby protect... Why dont make a city for each faction... Guys.. im talking about bring life to the world...

Is just an idea how to make UO much more fun, imersive and interactive... I know the staff did a great job into now, but, i believe this shard can do "The best" UO free shard ever!

ps.: Sorry for my english... is not that great! ;)
  2. CaptainMorgan

CaptainMorgan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Ore mining requirements aren’t “broken”, they’ve always been real skill. The stat increase just makes it easier once you qualify. Now, could that change? Sure.
  3. Medieval Name

Medieval Name Well-Known Member

The staff is constantly working hard on new features and events.
    I'm afraid adding ingame quests would be at the bottom of their to-do list!
    Don't worry, I'm pretty sure the shard will always be a work in progress with new adventures every corner ;)
    Lord Krake, compsays and RavenMagi like this.
  4. Daniel Cardoso

Well, maybe i dont know to explain... but, let me try again...

Today, the world is static, have no global economy (except by players), no city have influence against other, every dungeon have the same ores, every tree log is in every part of the world... We know in real world, a tree type cant be founded in every world, we know some resources are at especific places... We knon, some cityies dont let every one comes in... That is called global economy (a lot of other factors on that too), but... think about it... lets say each active guild can control a city, lets say a guilda named X (not real guild) is owner of Trinsic, and they decide evety character that not been borned or pay taxes on Trinsic cant entere the city or go in the city region... Lets say just in Trinsic a tree log can be found to create a bow type... Note now, that tree log will increase price tag around the world... Same about Minoc, lets say just a place of Minoc a miner can get Valorite, so, if that ore becomes more dificult to get, more expensive will become... Now, if each city can be ruled by an guild... What if a guild can over rule another guild city??? Do you see a all new level PVP scenario here??? A real world economy and a real guild function??? Much better, dont u think?

And, go much more futher...Today is just about spanw point of NPCs, but... If created a script that make a growth line... for examplo... Orcs searching by a pace to create a new orc fort (Not a GM comes to do that), a script decides to do that... NPCs could ambush a player in the jungle and steal all his loot... Look... about NPCs and world history have so much things to do, and think about... i will keep here saying about it... Im pretty sure my ideia as "fugired"...
  5. Lord Krake

Lord Krake Well-Known Member

Hey there Daniel, welcome to UOR!

Allow me to comment on your ideas. I have been here for many years (although there are those who have been here longer than I) and most of us have done pretty much everything there is to do in the game.

First and foremost: this is a shard that is era accurate, in most respects, to the UO of 1999-2001. That is intentional. This is the shard you have decided to play on, and while I understand the desire to make it "better", a lot of what you have proposed simply will not happen due to the players here wanting to play and adhere to the era this shard has been set up for.

I think in your first post you talked about wanting to see more quests, tourneyments, events and player run world changing things.

Well, two things about those types of comments:

1. You have only been here 10 days. You have not seen anything that we do here yet, so perhaps spend some time, outside of Occlo, and really play here for a bit before insinuating we *dont* have those things?

2. We DO have those things! ALL of the things you mentioned. Take a look at the Player Run Event forum here. Take a look at our extensive Trade forum. THe shard here is *always* running some sort of unique events or experience, either staff run or player run. We have fishing tourneyments, PvP nights, Free Resist sessions, custom quests and games, Scavenger hunts, massive Holiday events that last for weeks, mongbat fight nights, Dungeon Crawls, HardMode Hunts, Champs spawns, Harrowers. I mean really, play here for a while and see what its like.

Your second post seemed to focus on some ideas around guilds holding cities and the interplay between those guild, other guilds, and how some of the static mechanics here work. You also commented on NPCs in the wilds.

1. Any mechanic that would allow players to deny other players access to entire cities on completely subjective reasoning is a bad idea. I am sorry, but it is. However, we do have a good amount of inter-guild conflict here, that affects the economy, territory and how players decide to play. We had a group a little while back that demanded taxes for using the caves to mine ore, we have had high way bandits, we have had Orcs role play and create some great events here. Even right now there is a Foresty Service group that is setting forth mandates that the community here will either have to chose to follow or not. So you see, we have a great variety of play styles here. As for things that changed the world, refer back to my first statement: this is era accurate and nothing too outrageous is going to be allowed. However, last year there was an epic 10 quest lost series that involved the Shrines being corrupted. Player driven and staff complimented. THere is even a museum to that epic story in Vesper, so YES even part of the physical world was altered to show the results of a player driven narrative. So not everything is about "macroing up in Occlo for PvP". In fact we have very little PvP here, all things considered.

2. NPCs do ambush and kill you in the wilds......they are the regular mobs that spawn. Lots of us have died to mobs and had things stolen from us. Although I do understand what are you saying; you want persistent NPC villains. Trust me, the player villains here are much better to interact with.

I feel that if you take a little more time and become a part of the community you will have more accurate information from which to form an opinion and a post.

HOWEVER, you posted in a respectful way and did your best to explain yourself and your reasons, and that sir, is a great start to being a solid presence here on the shard.

Hope to see you in game.

~Krake
    Dr Satan, Rextacy, compsays and 5 others like this.
  6. Daniel Cardoso

Lorde Krake, i realy appreciate u took your time to reply my question, so im realy glad about it...

Just to reply about my ideias, its because i see so much things non related to UO OSI 1998 - 2000... Like lots of weapons with tactics 100 givem no damage at hit!!! Never that happens on UO OSI, ion UO u cant use potions of any kind in less than 8 sec, i tested with cure potions and drink one after another in less them 1 sec... About potions, they are not named ok... evety potion of cure and life is "Greater", but the effect is not the effect of a grate potion... The armors, they dont work like here, AR is not the same... about the skills, few bugs with the real skill value with the atribute bonus (In a few skills and the tittles)... So much itens i have found that do not exist in UO of 1998 - 2001...

Im not complaim about... Just because i see so much things diferent about the original UO OSI 1998-2001, i suggest some ideas... But, like you sayed... Maybe its too soon to me talk about this things!

The great problem i see in this 10 days im playing here, is a lot of new players, dont know what to do, because they leave Occlo, and dont found much players in others cities, and the most part of the players in Occlo is "AFK" on macro...

But... i apologise if i was disrespectful with anyone, just talking about a few ideas i think will be great to a shard!

Thx again for your time...
    Rextacy and Lord Krake like this.
  7. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'd rather see old things fixed rather than adding new content. But welcome to the server!
    BlackEye likes this.
  8. Nusir

Nusir Well-Known Member

I wasnt aware of Mongbat fights, I will be finding the best Mongbat to roam this world and team that beast!

please note: this is true excitement.
    BlackEye likes this.
  9. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

Make UO (really) hard again.
  10. Merek Tybalt

Merek Tybalt Well-Known Member

I relentlessly trained my mongbats, Beavis & Butthead, they are not to be trifled with.

3rd Place Dung Trophy!!
    eherruh, PaddyOBrien and Lord Krake like this.