Why is CTF so late almost every time?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by FreeHugger, Jul 17, 2017.

1. FreeHugger

FreeHugger Well-Known Member

I've given up for asking for anything or changes, those threads are pointless.

Does anyone know why CTF is generally at 12pm EST when almost nobody is on?
  2. Sara

Sara Well-Known Member

From my understanding staff is mostly on west coast time zone and that effects start times
  3. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    Mandevu likes this.
  4. FreeHugger

Am, dickbag.

Typo police!
  5. FreeHugger

Last night, 8PM mountain time, I was in IRC, 4-5 people were asking for CTF...

Chris comes in irc and puts it up saying CTF will start in 2 hours...

I feel like a large portion of our players are from EST or farther east.

Can we not figure this out? As much as I want to stay up until 1030/11 to play and put myself to bed at midnight, I, like most of us, have a life.

5am wake ups don't work so well after a midnight sleep. Gotta be even worse for guys 2 hours east
    Xegugg likes this.
  6. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
  7. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

So first folks complain that there are not any or enough CTFs, Now there is dissatisfaction with the start time...

Its already "figured out" - The capability is there, the trust is not.

PEG and ALEX are to blame for this... in order to run it at different times with today's capabilities, it has to be started by someone with sufficient rights to the server. Any progress towards the trust needed to have those rights was eliminated by their betrayal. Those two set back a number of things that were in motion or building towards. Now the same amount of work has to be done by fewer people. Trust has to be rebuilt. I would rather things went slower than having Telamon get disgusted and throw in the towel.
    Xegugg likes this.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There's only one person to blame for these not being fully automated on a schedule like so many other shards have done within very short order. The person who said from the start there would be automated events and ultimately decided not to make them automated on a schedule to avoid dealing with complaints from players who didn't like the events themselves or the schedule.

Remove the stupid platinum reward. Put it on a hard schedule, rotating to suit all time zones, twice a day.

If you want plat for playing, place some player bets on the side and stop being greedy. There never should have been profit potential in CTF anyway.
    It'sallALark, Mandevu, Arawn and 7 others like this.
  9. LanDarr

LanDarr Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff
    Senior Counselor

Remove the plat reward and the incentive for abuse goes with it.... No material gain from running it.

I am all in on this idea
    Arawn, Xegugg and One like this.
  10. FreeHugger

Are there really "more" CTF matches if nobody is online to play them?

As much fun as 1v2 or 2v3 is... what's the point?
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

If there were "more" and on a hard schedule, the real fans could rally others to join who may not be aware of the schedule or just need some encouragement to take part.

If the system only actually launched the match when there were at least half a dozen people (3v3 should be the bare minimum to start), the 'problem' would sort itself out.
  12. FreeHugger

Yea and not all 300 people are in IRC to get the 2 hour warning.

If it was broadcast in game when the start times were, not just 15-30 mins before hand it would help too
  13. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I've also said this for 4+ years. Town Criers should be announcing 1 hour, 30 minutes and 10 minutes before gates open for sign-ups.

At least a global system message or two would be nice or hey, since we're all about the gump/options here, how about a check box on a character profile to Opt-In to event notifications.
  14. FreeHugger

CTF WAS EARLY TONIGHT!!!!

7v7, was a fun as hell fight. Need more of that! Especially since it seems like there are a fuckload more active players these days
  15. Duz-luk

Duz-luk Active Member

if it auto-ran everyday wouldn't that make it get boring after a while. Why not run it on the weekend only, once on Saturday and again on Sunday? It would probably have a better turn out that way too. just sayin
    PaddyOBrien likes this.
  16. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

To each their own. I played so many countless matches of CTF the only time it gets boring, to me, is when we're sweeping the other team without any challenge.

I can't imagine it would get worse over time with more appropriate scheduling.
  17. Arawn

Arawn Well-Known Member

I would also like to see some sort of adherence to schedule. Whatever that schedule may be. I have given up on trying to even make CTF matches because I dont actually know when its gonna happen. I would definitely plan on being able to play for some matches each week IF it was actually going to happen at that time. Too many times have I waited for a match that didn't even start until a few hours after I had to leave...
  18. Mandevu

Mandevu Well-Known Member

If it was in my power, I would run it twice a day, for people in different time zones. It would be followed by a 1v1, or 2v2/3v3, and it would have a posted time schedule of when they were going to run on the website. And I would have trophies for the winners, but they wouldn't be worth plat, they would simply be for show/bragging rights. I also wouldn't give a single fuck what any one else's opinion was on the matter, because I know from years of experience of having it set up as such, to know how successful it is, and how much post-event activity it draws. Regardless of whether or not some people only log on for said events.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

This X 1000
    bart simpson likes this.
  20. FreeHugger