Why would a new player join?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Anubis, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Anubis

Anubis New Member

Why would a new player join UO Renaissance instead of a newer shard? I am thinking it must take a long time to adjust the game and compete with veteran players. Any opinions?
    newme likes this.
  2. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Welcome back. It's my opinion that UOR is just better than other servers but I am biased. If nothing else you'll know UOR isn't just another fly-by-night shard. Vets really only have an advantage in hoarding pixels. If that's not your game then who cares. If you love rares and odd colored sandals then you'll know you're in a community where those things are appreciated, available, and has a historically strong economy for that type of stuff.
    newme and Andersonius like this.
  3. Shandril

Shandril Active Member

We were new here 2 months ago now (My how time fly's)

We chose this server just by things we read on different forums after doing searches, great economy here, true to the original Ultima Online etc.

We made our chars here, me and the wife, we started streaming as we logged in for the very first time, totally new to Ultima Online, we were amazed......

The game itself was sensational, we loved the graphics and the music alike....the community here is next to none, and we truly mean that, they are nicer here than in any other game we have played together over the years.

So if we had to choose why choose this server ? We would say, the community is fabulous !

2 months on and we are still streaming every single day :)

Hope you give UO Renaissance a try, you wont regret it !

Dakota and Shaylie.
    Gutscrank, newme, Lord Krake and 2 others like this.
  4. Heretic

Heretic Well-Known Member

In my opinion, there's nothing like "compete with veteran players" unless you're talking about money and property. Of course all skills are limited to 100%, so in 2-3 days you'll be able to compete with all of them on the field.

Also, the major slice of the server is PvM/PvE, where it doesn't matter if someone has more money/stuff than you. You can trail - and I must say: real quick - a path of success without ever interacting with a human being here. At the very best you'll need basic abilities to run away from PKs at this point.

Not to mention that you can group with lots of people that are here with the same and sole purpose of having fun. One of the various examples is the guild I'm in. It's called Project Sanctuary - you can find us at IRC at #PS. We are always recruiting new players that would like some help, training and a group of people who they can count on to hunt, run quests and fun stuff. And we are not the only one on the server.

So add all of this to UO:R being the best server out there regarding systems, mechanics, balancing and a god-like staff I'd say pretty easy this is by far your best shot at Ultima Online nowadays.
  5. Ragar

Ragar Active Member

Some good people here. I'm not active at the moment but I return periodically because I've met some quality people while playing here. Also enough non-friendlies to keep the game fun. Nothing worse than UO without 'bad guys'.
    newme likes this.
  6. Preyas

Preyas Active Member

I have never played an OSI-like shard until here at the end of August 2015 (played only RP/custom almost a decade ago). I built 3 7x mages in under 2 weeks and a tamer the week after. That is enough to compete in both PvP and PvM.

What about wealth? Well I know many MILLIONAIRES who earned their money solely from picking cotton within a month. It just depends on what you want to do and how much time you want to put into the game. I mostly play a mage and my cost to restock and play how I want is only 2-3k.

A starting guild such as Project Sanctuary is a great guild with an amazing community to help you get adjusted to the game. Eventually, you can join a major PvM guild such as KoS or UO.

Plus, there's an average of 650+ players online! You won't be playing on a ghost shard compared to a newer shard.

Best of luck
    Lord Sky, newme and Andersonius like this.
  7. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

• No pay to win. No cash shop. No real benefit for donating, period.
    • Established server, good online player count.
    • Proven working economy.
    • Still easy to reach 'max effectiveness' if you're into PvPing.
    • Housing market still very accessible.
    • Proven dedicated staff.
    Gutscrank, newme, Lord Krake and 6 others like this.
  8. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

It's better to just not compete at all and don't worry about everyone else, and just have fun... unless neon blessed sandals, neon blessed deer masks, etheral mounts and having 5 fortresses* like nearly everyone else in upper echelon are your thing, then go for it. :D Many of us are perfectly happy living middle or upper middle class UO lives and don't tie our success or fun in this game to owning the aforementioned trammel luxuries. It is what you make it. The community & staff here is top notch, and there are many things to do here :cool:

*actual number might be 3.25 fortresses. Obviously, I'm joking. Not as seen on tv. Now, where's my coffee. Ah, here it is.
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
    newme, Andersonius and Fullmetal like this.
  9. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

Nearly everyone in the upper echelon have 5 fortresses???? False. So so false.
    newme likes this.
  10. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I was being silly, Elhorno :) I should have said a more outrageous number lol
    newme likes this.
  11. El Horno

El Horno Well-Known Member

hahaha ya :D my bad!
    newme likes this.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

This is a great server that you don't have to pay to play, in every sense of the phrase.
    If you expect to obtain the riches and items that players who've been here for years have obtained then you'll be disappointed, I don't think this is a reasonable short term goal. Housing, rares, gold, platinum, rewards.. they all come in time.
    You can macro up and be in the game within a day or two and there's plenty of support out there for new players and players who want to actually play with others.
    You'll run into a few bad apples here and there. Childish behavior in the game/forums/irc is not unlike UO so expect to see it every once in a while. Just don't stop having fun, it's a great server if you don't let the little stuff turn you off.
    newme, Andersonius and PaddyOBrien like this.
  13. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

You are only limited by your own imagination. I've only been here since a couple months before the THIRD ANNIVERSARY, and I'm doing quite well for myself. As others have mentions, skills really aren't a problem. There are plenty of groups and friendly players out there to team up with and tackle end game content. Set your own goals and you can achieve them. You'll be showering in platinum coins in no time.
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

In my opinion there aren't newer shards that are stable and have completed content and polished systems.

This shard maintains more than 99.99% up time and gives you a nostalgic renaissance era feel. It should look exactly like you remember it. But there's some added content like some boss monsters and level 6/7 treasuremaps and ancient messages in a bottle to give you more challenging pve content if that's what you're interested in.
    newme, Andersonius and Basoosh like this.
  15. Andersonius

Andersonius Well-Known Member

I agree 100% with everything said thus far.

Also as far as economic stability (I don't think this was mentioned) our anti-AFK resource gathering gump is a huge success and is HUGE towards long term economic stability! Also I have never heard of any other server running anything of the sort. So where on any other server it is almost impossible to completely stamp out AFK gathering of resources which is a huge problem towards stability of any server; it is a successful 24/7 process here on Renaissance!

Hope you choose to start back up here Anubis - Welcome back!
    newme and Tyndall like this.
  16. Rorschach

Rorschach New Member

I'm a new free-shard player and I chose this shard. I played UO at highest of levels on an OSI shard; and, a couple years ago I played on a free shard that had a population of 10 and suddenly folded one day. So it could be said that I'm a new player to a real shard.

I wound up choosing this shard even though I disagree with most of the rule set.

Why?

In a nutshell, I think the PLAY-to-win system here on UO:R is what builds the best community and it's the base of other players that makes UO special. And that's what really matters in UO and is what sets UO apart from other more easily accessible games like WoW.

Although I am a person who would directly benefit from a PAY-to-win system, overall I would lose because the quality of community would be much lesser, more like other games I've already abandoned.

As a former guildmaster of arguably the most powerful guild of the OSI server I was on, I can tell you from my guildmates' feedback that our best UO experience was being a part of something much bigger than ourselves. That feeling was shared by prospective new guildies all the way to the officers and GM. Only a strong community can do that.
    Ragar, newme and Puck like this.
  17. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

This server is totally accessible to new players and there's tons to do. Come on IRC and ask whatever you want, people are really friendly.

I'm MikeK on IRC, I'm a part of a new guild that helps players. Feel free to message me or join channel #PS.

ALSO, do not worry about the economy. It's healthy, give the shard a week I guarantee you'll have fun.
  18. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome back.

I agree with everything said above, and would like to add a few points. If AFK macroing skills is not your thing, you are not alone. Many players feel the same. See Dakota's and Shays streams and you will see how a couple who have never played UO, not macroing skills, are a fine example of yes. You can build characters old school and have lot of fun.

If your real life is too busy, or you just don't enjoy old school skill building,you can AFK macro skills on one account and play on a second. Yes Double boxing is allowed.

Tons of crafting, players even make boats. Bods rewards, Ore Golems Tailoring etc.

Pvp your thing, lot for you to do in addition/or instead of pking. CTF, Duels, etc.

I cannot say enough about the grand staff we have here and the fantastic player community.

Hope you join us.

Westra on irc

in Game, main is Marjo: Governess of Wispfelt Village and GM of PVM guild. ( not to be confused with PvM guild)

good luck to you :)
  19. Lord Sky

Lord Sky Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

You should play here because this is the best UO shard that exists.

If you pick another shard you'll just end up here and be filled with regret that you didn't pick this one first.
    newme likes this.