Wodan's Guide to Herding

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Wodan, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Herding might be one of the most frequently used skills in the game yet most people underestimate the potential of this skill.

Of course, there is the main usage of this skill. Quickly macro your stats up since this skill has no delay and affects all three stats.

I want to cover that part as well. The idea is very simple. Many skills in UO are influenced by your stats. Your stats are responsible for the difference between shown and real skill. If you gain in a skill that is influenced by a certain stat, there is a chance to gain a point in that stat as well. The chance is higher the more you gain in the skill and the chance is higher the more influence the stat has on the skill.

Since Herding is influenced by all three stats, rapid herding will eventually raise all stats to the desired values.

The best setup for quick stat gain is getting your char to the 700 points skill limit while keeping herding at 0 real skill. Make sure all skills are set so "Raise" and rapidly herd a very weak creature. You will not gain herding since there are no skill points available but the potential Herding skill gain will still affect Stat gain. Try herding a bird - they have a VERY low herding difficulty and give high gains with 0 skill.

But there's also another useful side of Herding. It's a handy skill for a support character. It goes along very well with Hiding, Music and Peacemaking which you can all GM easily by macro.

Herding is also very easy to GM. Simply trap a bull in your house and herd it for a night. Next morning, you're GM Herding.

Now you can collect animals and lead them to your Tamer. Just create a macro:

Target desired animal
    Wait for target
    Target self

This will make the animal follow you. Let in run in a loop and just walk around collecting animals. Very useful !

Can also be used to fuel a leather farm. If you have a house in an area with decent spawn, use one or two herders to lead everything grey towards your house and have a butcher wait there and kill & skin them.

Always keep in mind - Herding can be done while hidden. Hiding does not break the herding and you can continue to herd while hidden. This helps getting certain creatures out of hostile areas.

I currently use herding to fuel my tamer on a boat at the coast of Dagger Isle and my Herder has nothing on him but a newbie Herding staff and a Cloak. There's quite some hostile critters on Dagger and you can still easily drag the tameables out by hiding frequently before the critters attack you.
    Kiryana, Cheapsuit, dissident and 2 others like this.
  2. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

This is no guide for herding lol wth... this is a guide to raise stats. Where do you NPC train the herding skill?
  3. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member

Stable NPCS
  4. Cheapsuit

Cheapsuit Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Absolutely not. Tried them first, then tried the rangers outside of skara and they wont even train anything.
    Pedigar likes this.
  5. Surfrats

Surfrats Active Member

I believe i trained mine at the stable NPC in Delucia. Try all of them there and see which one works. I know its possible.
  6. compsays

compsays Active Member

For reference; neither of the two NPCs at Delucia stables today would offer herding.
  7. Pedigar

Pedigar Well-Known Member

I've never found an npc to train it and if anyone suggests otherwise, prove it :p
    Gwenno likes this.