World Save Frequency

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by wylwrk, Oct 6, 2016.

1. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Can these be modified? If so, please can the frequency be lessened significantly?

The current rate of world saves + the world freeze bug combination is taking away from the experience.

I'd like to see some dialogue on this topic and get a better understanding of how other player's and administrators feel about this.
  2. Alice Asteroid

Alice Asteroid Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Doesn't bother me.
  3. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

World freeze bug? first I've heard of this. is there a thread already started with information on it?

4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Pauses are twice as long as they used to be when first noticed. Frequency of the pauses has also increased. Very noticeable when pvp'in. World saves I can understand but I wish they were a bit farther apart. Save time has doubled but that's most likely due to world item count having tripled since I've started here (when I started we had a 3 second world save). Yes there's another thread going on this. Maybe the aim of the post was to alleviate some of it by reducing the frequency of world saves.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I would advocate for CUB (less items = shorter saves) + a longer period between saves (maybe 45 minutes?).

I think in another shard there was a suggestion of "sepparating items" as in:
    - Houses that have not been accessed since last save are not saved (thus reducing the number of items saved, as it is redundant from last save)
    - Dungeons/instances not being used are not saved

Now, I have no clue if that is technically possible or feasable, it just sounded interesting when I heard it.

I don't think there's much to be done about the freeze issue as it seems to be host related, so unless Telamon decides to switch hosts, it looks like we'll have to adapt.
    Evil Dead and wylwrk like this.
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

and here i thought the freezing issue was just my computer. it randomly freezes one client while my other client is fine. is that the same bug, or do I have my own unique case of mites?
  7. scuba

scuba Well-Known Member

Same thing happens to me. Also when I first start razor it takes a very long time to load
    newme likes this.
  8. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

9. One

One Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Feb 5, 2023
    PaddyOBrien and Jupiter like this.
  10. One

One Well-Known Member

PaddyOBrien and Eldstorm like this.
  11. newme

newme Well-Known Member

besides irc issues, only one I'm aware of is the razor loading extremely slow.
    Christoph Brock and scuba like this.
  12. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I haven't been timing the saves, but they definitely seem too frequent. Used to be thrice an hour, and then dropped to twice. Now it seems like we're back where we started.

If the server were unstable, I'd get saving more often, but that doesn't seem to be a problem here. I certainly wouldn't cry over an extra 10 minutes of lost play if it came to it.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
    One likes this.
  13. Jean-Pierre

Jean-Pierre Well-Known Member

When Razor is loading look at the bottom of it and it'll give you an idea of what it's getting stuck on. If it says checking for updates and gets stuck there (like it did for mine after I reinstalled it a while back) then that's likely the issue. To stop Razor from checking for updates you can make a small registry change. Here is a thread about that issue and how to fix it if the check for updates is causing the problem.

http://uorforum.com/threads/how-to-bypass-razor-updates.2654/
    Hope that fixes it for ya!
  14. Genocide

Genocide Active Member

Too many geedy ass vets stock piling items for Clean Up Britania. The more random useless shit they save for NO FUCKIN REASON other than being #1 when that shit hits and getting the most out of it. That and there are a lot more houses to save on the map as opposed to a year or two ago.

Those plat train and IDOC fucks needs to go. But i can assure you that will NEVER happen. Dont get me wrong I like shinies and pixels too, but dear god man, when will you ever have enough? Ive received text messages from players about manipulating the trade market. Are you fucking kidding me? When will you have enough shit, when? When is enough, enough? Greedy ass people man..
    Player X, Xegugg and Orange like this.
  15. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

I sometimes wonder if the reason CuB isn't here yet is because of the addition of leaderboards for it, which is probably more coding work involved in putting it in the patch and getting it finished. My opinion is, who the crap cares about how many barrel staves or broadswords of ruin you turn in? Most of just want cub to happen, and don't care about some stupid bragging rights or being number one on a leaderboard. We just want to get this shit turned in for goodies.
    Dorian Andrael and Jupiter like this.
  16. Genocide

Genocide Active Member

You are part of the problem if you are saving all that shit. There are a lot of you out there. I would name some names, but I owe some of those people more respect than that, so I dont.
    Player X likes this.
  17. PaddyOBrien

Actually i've trash barrelled / sold my last stash of cub shit when it didn't come out a few months ago as planned. I started to save it again when cub was supposed to happen in the last patch, then when that didn't happen I'm pretty much given up on it happening anytime this year since the holiday stuff will take priority. Wanna buy my bags o' cub shit I have left? You could get on that leaderboard!!! :p
    One likes this.
  18. PaddyOBrien

I've actually coined the term "Rage-barrelling" - trashing cub shit in frustration instead of waiting an indefinite amount of time for cub to come out. :cool:
    Dun Scaith, One and Genocide like this.
  19. One

One Well-Known Member

PaddyOBrien likes this.
  20. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

leader boards?
    For eff's sake, it all makes sense now.

I'm abandoning this thread topic. G'luck.
    PaddyOBrien likes this.