Wouldst thou flee during the heat of battle...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Cynic, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I can't remember era accuracy to save my life but this one in particular is becoming annoying.

If I attack someone I shouldn't be able to tuck tail and run away when the fight is no longer going my way, perfect.

If I attack someone and they hop a moongate/gate travel/recall/etc.. I shouldn't continue to have a restriction. If I'm chasing someone, a sigil carrier for instance, and they hop the moongate I should be able to at least take the gate immediately after they go in it.

Right now I'm stuck chasing people up to the moongate and then losing because I can't get anywhere in the "heat of battle."

If I had it my way: Anyone that enters into mutual combat, and I consider all faction fighting mutual combat (it's your choice to enter factions), unable to flee regardless of who the attacker or defender is.

(Off-topic: WTB BOLAS)
    Liberation likes this.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

No to Bolas, yes to Search Function.
  3. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

I think it's frustrating that if you attack and kill someone, you can't immediately recall for some time. Idk if it's waiting for their ghost to tab out of combat with you or what, but it makes me crazy.

I can understand what you mean, if you attack someone and then get the "cant recall now" penalty, then they hope a gate because they don't have it, that's kind of silly. if you give both attacker and opponent the "cant recall" flag, then people farming are in trouble to PK's etc.. and if you remove the inability to recall from everyone, then it becomes simply ridiculous to try and kill someone.

I like the idea of just increasing the cast time of recall spell, then removing the inability to recall from everyone. But then again, people farming would suffer if there became a rampant PK problem.

So what are some other ways to prevent this?
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I don't think there is a terrible problem right now. Yes, it is a pain in the butt to wait XX time to recall after a fight, but if you are consensually engaging someone to fight, you should keep this in mind, and think twice before initiating the attack or attacking back.

If you start it, you better be prepared to end it.
  5. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

I think these are the only two problems with the system as-is. If these were remedied, it would work as I think everyone would expect, right?
  6. Jupiter

Jupiter Well-Known Member

I'm going to chime in on this one. As you all know I often adventure with people of all walks and most times we are not in the same guild. Often, during adventures one often loses sight of their target and accidentally attacks an ally. After profusely apologizing to my comrade, I find I am unable to recall or gate.

Would it be possible to make it so that partied individuals can turn on/off this flight restriction?
    One likes this.
  7. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I'm bumping this one as the other thread pertains to factions/sigils.

This is becoming more and more annoying, coming from someone who has been playing a dexxer as a main lately.

Criminals/Reds/OJ's can run and run until they can hit a gate or moongate without impunity to the justice I am attempting to serve. Then I'm stuck, like an asshole, because I attacked someone who ran like a puss.

I just ran a criminal flagged grey all around North Minoc until he hit a moongate, got to brit, then recalled.

On a side note, you shouldn't be able to flee if you are attacked while flagged as a criminal. I don't care how long it is, If I chase you for an hour for stealing a god damn mandrake root then you shouldn't be able to just up and recall because I hit a stone in the ground and gave you a couple tiles distance to cast a recall.
  8. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Couldn't agree more.
  9. Miller-

Miller- Active Member

+1
  10. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Note that the thief is not flagged as a *criminal* for that entire hour. They're flagged as a criminal for two minutes, and "someone who can be attacked" for the other 58, if you've continually reset the combat timer with them during that time.

If you can't close the deal during the 2 minute criminal timer, I think they've served their time and should be able to recall if able to. Obviously you can still try, and potentially succeed, at exacting justice for those next 58 minutes. But there's no mechanical reason that they should have criminal restrictions on them, when the criminal timer has expired, and no logical reason IMO either.

On a related note, I always recommend everyone change the hue in the UO client so that it better differentiates between "Criminal" and "someone who can be attacked". It is super useful for understanding situations like this, as well as other things like when you can heal a monster without becoming a criminal (i.e. when it's safe to bring a tame dragon to town and heal it up).
  11. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Isn't this just part of the song and dance? I do agree that once they hit the gate you should be able to enter the gate as well. But you know where they are going, and as long as the time that someone can carry the sigil is kept reasonably low, heading them off at the base should be a good fall back plan.

I haven't tried to enter a moongate as a criminal, but I assume that it would not allow you (it shouldn't imo, if it does.) Being red or orange is different than being criminal however. I assume that the player was perma to you for stealing or still flagged to you, and neither an aggressor nor a criminal?

It would suck to shit up the entire game to stop people from running from you. Fleeing from combat is definitely an important part of what makes UO combat good. Bolas and dismount mechanics were some of the worst things to ever enter the game, and were the crutch of the terrible pvp tamer and awful gankers. There are ample paralyze/stun mechanics already.
  12. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

You can commit a criminal act and then hit a gate, I think we all know this one, the reds of the shard should especially. :p

I'm not really commenting on sigil running in this thread, I think I beat that dead horse enough in Blaise' thread.

I'm just not a fan of people being able to commit criminal acts, no matter the act, and be able to hit a gate to get away or recall for that matter if I keep the flag alive through combat. For example, killing an innocent flags you criminal and forces you to stick around. I'm not sure what the timer is here, if any, but you can hop a gate right after committing a criminal act. I think this is bullshit. I further suggest that if you are engaged in combat while flagged crim a recall/gate restriction should remain in effect until combat is over. You can run all you want, but you shouldn't be able to recall after 2 minutes of running because you are no longer considered a criminal to those who didn't have the balls to attack you.

I'm suggesting the current system that's implemented to prevent aggressors from fleeing after they attack you be implemented against those that are attacked while under a criminal flag.
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

well I honestly did not know this, and I'm of the opinion that using the moongate should have the same restrictions that recalling does.
  14. Ezekiel

Ezekiel Renaissance Staff

To clarify, public moongates have the same travel restrictions for criminals as the recall spell does, you cannot use a public moongate while flagged as a criminal.

The gate travel spell however does not have such restrictions & even while flagged as a criminal you're able to both cast & utilize gates created from the spell. The only travel restrictions which apply to gate travel is the heat of battle flag which disallows the ability to cast the spell until the duration has ended. Its does not prevent anyone from using another player created gate as means of travel while in the heat of battle though.
  15. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Which is good otherwise we wouldn't have Snap's hilarious dark arts shows :D
  16. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Thanks. While I think this is different than EA shards, I also think its a good change. While murderers may escape your grasp through casted gates on occasion, it sure was tedious to absolutely have to wait the 2 minutes to recall/gate on EA servers. I like the middle ground that is struck by this mechanic.
  17. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

I hate this inability to flee mechanic in general as I've seen quite a few pk's abuse the crap out of it. They'll pick a 1v1 fight with someone or entice someone into attacking them. As soon as the player is "stuck" by not being able to flee....In comes the gang squad. It's just another well-meaning mechanic that gets abused.

I'd like to see it removed completely. It's unrealistic and all to easily abused.

In the meantime, I encourage everyone who misses the pre-cast chain lightning gangs to use this method as an imperfect, but equally cheap tactic for easy kills. :p
  18. Xevec

Xevec Active Member

I would also like to voice my support for getting rid of this particular mechanic.
    Its very easy to exploit and if you accidentally go grey your gank bait for 2 minutes.
    Someone can bait you into thinking your fighting 1v1, then call in the gank squad, then you depend almost solely on
    your internet connection speed.
    Since there are no invis, teleport, or reflect items on this shard, I really don't think this mechanic is necessary.
  19. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I don't really see eye to eye on that opinion. If you engaged in battle, you made yourself bait, not the person you attacked.

Don't want to be restricted? Don't start a fight you're not ready to follow through with.
    Zyler likes this.
  20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Can it be abused? Sure. It's not perfect - but you at least know what you're getting yourself into if you attack someone. If you're not ready to deal with the consequences, don't attack!

I think it's definitely superior to the alternative of people being able to attack and instantly recall away if things go south. Not that this impacts my UOR playstyle very much, but I imagine actually killing someone would be a nightmare under this system (as snap dragon pointed out).