Your Greatest loss in UO

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Valmour, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Valmour

Valmour Well-Known Member

Letting my Occlo vendor house drop with full vendors and 30 and 60 day rares as decorations. I say that I lost roughly 1.5 million today possibly more by not clicking a sign or opening a door when I check my vendors. I love seeing my stuff on the trading forums LOL :D.

I guess some of us win and some of us loss every once in awhile.
    Today was not my day I guess, but I still love playing the game.

What are some of your greatest losses you have encountered in UO, I am rather interested now.
    Hawkeye, newme and Paxenon like this.
  2. Paxenon

Paxenon Active Member

Sorry for the loss - To help your commiserating, I'll share mine. =)

I had two boats decay due to misremebering my refresh. In addition to boats themselves, lost 6 AMIBs, one colored special net, about two hundred MIBs/Special nets/tmaps. As a relatively new player, it was a painful loss and made me give up fishing for 3 weeks.

Also, not exactly a loss, but I spent ~80% of my savings over 3-4 months of play on a large keep, and then a day or so later someone (who didn't do the research of how much they go for) posted a low offer for a large keep, and someone gave them one for free! More power to them, and glad to see someone help them out - but wow- I felt like I should have come up with a different post! :)
    newme likes this.
  3. Sarian

Sarian Member

I use to run 6 accounts on Atlantic. An irl friend had an account and used my credit card. He joined a guild called HAX, then stopped playing for a few months. Eventually the GM of HAX was caught duping and every member of his guild had all accounts attached to their credit cards blanket banned.
    I lost 18x18s, Keeps etc.. Millions and millions in rares and years of accumulating.
    But..I played on and by the time I ended my "UO Career" I had 8 accounts and a massive player made town. Lol

Makes you feel sick thinking of what you lost after months or years of work. But it all comes around and at the end of the day, they're made up pixels and ️atleast your real house didn't burn down!
    Hawkeye and newme like this.
  4. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I died and lost a force katana earlier today. :(
    AnRobot-, Savage, Jupiter and 2 others like this.
  5. Christoph Brock

Christoph Brock Well-Known Member

I let a two-story villa drop here. Back on Atlantic, I think I was overloaded and dropped 50k gold on the ground at West Britain bank.
    newme likes this.
  6. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Way back when, I had a good friend in a different guild than I. He was a gentle person, kind and loved the game.

My guild gm and his were friends in real. Never knew what happen, but for some reason the gm's got mad at each other over something which happened in game, carried it over to real.
    Our two guilds went to war. I dropped out of my guild. No game is worth real life friendship, and I didn't want any part of that aspect of their war.

My friend met with me, we spoke for about an hour. Than he told me he was quitting. He couldn't take the drama, he liked everyone involved.

So I lost a good friend over a issue in game.

A sad part, was the gms both were adults with families.

I am sorry you all lost things as well, I clicked liked your post, because I think it's good of you to share.

Marjo Governess of Wispfelt

Westra in irc
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
    Lestat, Jupiter, Hawkeye and 3 others like this.
  7. Bestial

Bestial Active Member

I hope you'll stay active despite! Many of us, me included, have had our stuff lost in idocs or due to unlocked doors. It truly is easy come and easy go. Emphasis on the "easy come" part.
    newme, Hawkeye and Valmour like this.
  8. Mimic

Mimic Member

When I first started on this server it was the first time I encountered the no-decay of items in houses, so when I finally killed enough arctic ogre lords with bladespirits to buy a small house and fill it with supplies (regs, kegs, armor, etc.), I put them on the floor without locking them down. I mean how cool right? I could fit so much stuff in my tiny house!

Now this was also the first time I encountered non blessed runebooks. I mean I had no knowledge that my runebook was not blessed. By the time I had runebooks on OSI they were blessed. I was also under the impression that my house key was newbied and would stay on me when I died. Boy was I mistaken.

Shortly after getting my lovely new house stocked to the max I was pked by a couple of chumps. I can't remember their names but Mona Lisa rings a bell. Anyways, I was killed, and as I ran around looking for a healer bad things were happening. When I rezed I immediately noticed that my rubebook was gone. "Great!" I thought. Now they are gonna kill my macroing characters! I was pissed. I switched to the other gaming window to see if my guys were dead but what i saw was so much worse.They were both dead, and I watched as the smiling pks gated away their pack horses full of my stuff. Everything I had tirelessly worked for for weeks, gone in a few minutes. That's how I learned that runebooks and house keys can be taken and used by others. (Now I always tell this to new players)

If i remember correctly it was a year or so before i logged on again, but when I came back I made ten times as much monies in a matter of days by getting lucky in different ways, so what goes around comes around, sometimes.

Sorry to hear about your loss but maybe something good will come of it.

Cheers
    newme and Jupiter like this.
  9. Mindless

Mindless Well-Known Member

Every wall is a door.

newme likes this.
  10. wylwrk

wylwrk Well-Known Member

Yeesh, lots of lost stuff due to the refresh mechanic.

I use outlook email calendar reminders as work events (action items) that must be opened and checked off lest they play an absolutely terrible whining alarm every five minutes.

*alarm whines*

Refresh boat #6
    Refresh house #3
    Feed pet "name"

yadda yadda
    newme likes this.
  11. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Chessy circa 99-2000.

I shared a small house South of Trinsic with a friend while we battle Ju'nar and the undead that had besieged Trinsic. We had this HUGE box of armor collected from... various dubious sources. All sorts of armor, shit-mail to valorite. Well one day, shortly after house decay was implemented I noticed the chest was missing... DECAYED... because @Godric Greycliff forgot to lock it down.

:D:D:D

In hindsight it wasn't that bad at all but at the time I was crushed and I wanted to give him shit about it one last time. :cool:
  12. amfeKk

amfeKk Well-Known Member

lol at HAX and hackerpvprodigy. Probably the largest ban hammer I witnessed on OSI. Even people that bought Gametime from them were screwed.

Biggest lose in uo history. I wAs banned 2x from live servers when I was younger for afk macroing. Lost a lot but was quickly restocked with an accout and gear.
    newme, Sarian and Vlar like this.
  13. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Sold my xmas sandals to Musician. They're now triple-quadruple that value.

Never underestimate the power of sandals.
  14. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Active Member

Messed up my house refresh day (while taking a break), let my castle on ice, a large brick holding a large keep spot on grass, and two smaller houses all fall at the same time.
    newme likes this.
  15. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

This is my obvious but somber answer:

Fender Felhammer

I miss you!
  16. Bogugh

Bogugh Well-Known Member

At least you can blame yourself. One of my friends refreshed but, as best I can tell, it didn't save because of a DDOS. I don't think he's logged in since.
    newme likes this.
  17. Kishember

Kishember Active Member

I wasn't in to making money, just role playing: a serf, and then freed, of the Duchy of Trinsic.;) But then that was Trammel...
  18. ReZon

ReZon Well-Known Member

On OSI, I had the only house in Vesper graveyard on Catskills (Felucca). My very own fenced-in home! One day I log in and find a big red sign in the middle of my house that says I have to demolish the house or it will be demolished for me. I page a GM and have it out with them, but they wouldn't budge so I tore it down. I checked other shards and saw the same signs so I was not alone at least.

Less than one year later, whatever prompted this removal evidently was not important any more as they opened that spot up again...
    newme likes this.
  19. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  20. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member

Oh snap, that reminds me of a public Hythloth Harrower at the "plus". It's taking forever and a day to get the last tentacle down and I'm one of two people that finally have a bead on it. Noobs are occasionally running in and healing it, to make matters worse. We're at about the 90-minute mark at this point and most people have checked out and gone AFK. We finally get it low... Right as I cast the last meteor swarm, someone gets pulled and insta-killed. Their ostard is standing there, dumbfounded. My meteor swarm zooms in, kills the last tentacle, and hits the ostard. I go gray. Everyone awakens from their AFK slumber and moves to swarm the Harrower. Someone hits a "ALL KILL NEAREST GRAY" type macro. You can guess what happens next. It is at this point that I realize I hadn't gated in my other two accounts yet. No plat :(

Props to Mes for rezzing me while I was gray, though!
    newme, El Horno and Ragnarok like this.