Zookeeper's Quest guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Dalavar, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

(this is a work in progress; please post edits, suggestions, etc., below)

What to bring
    Dragons. Lots of dragons. Dragons are generally better than white wyrms because boss monsters take reduced damage from pet melee. Dragon firebreath, however, is not impacted by this damage reduction. You do have access to Stables from the taming area, so you can have extras in your stable to access.

Reagents. Lots of reagents. Maybe 200 of each, especially Greater Heal reagents. You will have access to your bank, so keep extras in your bank. It is sometimes hard to have direct access to your pets or the pets of your comrades, so veterinary can be difficult.

Bandages. Maybe 300 or so. Depending on your role, you may be able to stay safe and close to your pet, and veterinary is the best way to heal them in this case.

Stage 1
    Enemies:
    Reptile Tamer (boss), Anaconda, Wyvern Monarch, Ophidian Queen, Land Shark
    Strategy: Take out the poisoning enemies first (Anaconda, Wyvern Monarch), while one person tanks the boss. Then once the minor spawn is cleared, gang up on the boss. The boss only has that initial spawn, so once it's gone it is safe to team up on him. Try to draw the enemies to the south east to stay away from the monsters in stage 2.

Stage 2
    Enemies:
    Beast Tamer (boss), Colossus, Jungle Titan, Obsidian Gargoyle, Two-Headed Behemoth

Strategy: One person tanks the boss. Then once the minor spawn is cleared, gang up on the boss. The boss only has that initial spawn, so once it's gone it is safe to team up on him. Try to draw the enemies to the south east to stay away from the monsters in stage 3.

Stage 3
    Enemies:
    Spectral Rabbit, Rabbit of Caerbannog

Strategy: Again stay on the south-east side to avoid seeing other monsters too soon. Have one person occupy the boss while the rest focus on the spectral rabbits. The spectral rabbits spawn at specific health intervals of the boss, so keeping just one set of pets on him will ensure everyone has enough time to clear the lesser spawn at each interval. Discordance on the boss and the spectral rabbits is extremely helpful. When all spectral rabbits are dead, everyone can focus on the boss for a bit. Once he spawns more spectral rabbits, immediately go after them (with one person again keeping the boss busy).

Offensive spells cast on the bosses will cause them to teleport to you. They also teleport around when being hit, so they are hard to keep an active vet on. The person soloing the boss is the most likely person in need of an additional Greater Heal from the field, so keep an eye out for their pets.

If a spectral rabbit or two goes after the dragons tanking the boss, take them out quickly and ensure the dragons tanking the boss are kept healthy. This is the biggest threat during this stage.

Rewards

Each boss has a chest key to a nearby chest. There is platinum in the chests, and it is otherwise standard treasure map fare. The chests are required to be looted for the Ironman prize, but not for the bonding slots. It may be wise to bring an alt that can Lockpick, that way if you accidentally lose a key, you can still open the chests.

The mask of the wilds has a 1 in 3 chance in dropping (our calculation based on number of masks we have vs how many times we have completed it).

Statues have a chance to drop as well, from the boss monsters.

Bosses and mini-bosses all have a chance to drop peculiar meat, so be sure to carve all corpses.

There is a spawning rare painting.

The chests may contain a "Knight's Strongbox".
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    Descartes, Gideon Jura and Artex like this.
  2. Baine

Baine Well-Known Member

I've run this quest twice and have used bandages on my dragons both times without incident. In my opinion, the most important aspect of pet healing is to make sure multiple players heal the tank dragon (the dragon taking damage from a boss.) For this I generally use greater heal, namely because I cannot reach the wounded dragon. Aside from that, I would also recommend organizing the information a little better.
    Descartes likes this.
  3. illbottleya

illbottleya Member

I haven't done this but I believe the first two stages are:

Stage 1:
    beast tamer, colossus, jungle titan, obsidian gargoyle, two-headed behemoth

Stage 2:
    reptile tamer, ophidian queen, wyvern monarch, land shark, anaconda
  4. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

5. Gideon Jura

Gideon Jura Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  6. MikeK

MikeK Well-Known Member

Which items appear in your backpack automatically after killing the bosses and mini-bosses?
  7. Dalavar

I believe the Mask of the Wilds appears in your pack, as does some platinum.

The Knight's Strongbox appears in the third and final treasure cache.

The Ruined Painting, I am not sure...
  8. Descartes

Descartes Well-Known Member

9. Dalavar

Right, so I figure 1/5 per *quest* as you get two 1/10 shots.
  10. Gideon Jura

Bogugh likes this.
  11. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Mask of the Wilds, Plat (if you get the kill on a boss or their tames a Plat will drop to you but, the spectral rabbits have a very random Plat drop or you need to kill enough of them, I have gotten Plat from killing Spectrals before) and statues appear in your pack automatically when and if they drop to you. Ruined painting has been found in the tunnel but I'm not sure if that's the only location it spawns. I've heard the painting is a monthly drop so the last crew to get it would be able to time it again if that's true.
  12. Gideon Jura

Basoosh likes this.
  13. Artex

Artex Well-Known Member

Disco - Faster you kill the boss rabbit the faster he spawns his spectrals. The dragons tanking the boss can become overwhelmed once the spectrals spawn which is usually right around the boss. Once they spawn a few people need to kill the spectrals off that are attacking the boss tanking pair of dragons. I've found in the past that discording the boss rabbit makes him die much faster resulting in quicker spectral spawns. If you have a large group it's not really an issue but, in a normal sized group of ten and your new to the quest it can be.
    DaTamer likes this.
  14. Descartes

Descartes Well-Known Member

15. DaTamer

DaTamer Active Member

Every time I've done it, I turned my disco into a bot just discoing all the bosses.
    What I have seen is the motw has dropped every time we took her.
    Not sure if the disco is connected or maybe her luck is high... but it has dropped every time she was present.