A compilation of messages left by the players around the server

Discussion in 'Photography & Videography' started by Invoker, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Invoker

Invoker Active Member

Places visited: Britain, Buccaneer's Den, Cove, Delucia, Jhelom, Magincia, Minoc, Moonglow, Nujel'm, Ocllo, Papua, Serpent's Hold, Skara Brae, Trinsic, Vesper, Wind, Yew

Characters featured: Adrian Del Mar, anonymous local thief, A traveller, Eliore, Giorgio, Iolo FitzOwen, Jackson Trawl, Jesus Christ, Johari, Jon Dough, Jonny, Jupiter, Luna Lumba, Marjo, Nymeros, Pegbyter, Porkchop Samich, Prison Bound, Satan, ShadowMaster, Sherlock, The Snake., Vito, Wulver, Zyler

My Confession by Giorgio
    [​IMG]

a book by your local thief
    [​IMG]

Cookin with Fud by Pegbyter
    [​IMG]

The Path of Virtues by Adrian Del Mar
    [​IMG]

a boobie by Jon Dough and Porkchop Samich
    [​IMG]

a book by Eliore
    [​IMG]

Rhymes and Reason by Iolo FitzOwen, and the outcome of his journey
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a book by Zyler
    [​IMG]

a book by Satan
    [​IMG]

a book by Jesus Christ
    [​IMG]

A novel by Nymeros, hijacked by Jupiter
    [​IMG]

a book by Wulver
    [​IMG]

What does the fox say by The Snake.
    [​IMG]

TLR by Prison Bound
    [​IMG]

Blah by ShadowMaster
    [​IMG]

Too short book by Sherlock
    [​IMG]

a book by Marjo
    [​IMG]

Continue this story by Marjo
    [​IMG]

The Undead by Jackson Trawl
    [​IMG]

A word or ten by Jackson Trawl
    [​IMG]

Dear strangers by Jackson Trawl
    [​IMG]

a book by Jonny
    [​IMG]

a book by Luna Lumba
    [​IMG]

The adventures of Johari (a book, And My Eyes Opened, Of Simple Things, A Villa on the Sea)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

a book by A traveller
    [​IMG]

Judd by Vito
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
    One, Tom the Immortal, newme and 9 others like this.
  2. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Cool stuff - what is the mechanic behind this? Do you have to do something special to get a book 'entered into circulation'?
    newme and PaddyOBrien like this.
  3. PaddyOBrien

PaddyOBrien Well-Known Member

Awesome thread!!! I've always heard after some time, in game books will show up randomly in these locations. It would be interesting to know the exact coding behind it, like how long it takes and so on. Have you looked at that, @Chris ?

Just wait until "Paddy's novel" by PaddyOBrien, and "Death of a Chicken" hit the bookshelves near you!
    newme likes this.
  4. Invoker

Invoker Active Member

There are permanent books found everywhere around the server, and you can find them in bookshelves or on tables. Most of them are about Ultima Online's lore, but some of them are editable by the players. You can easily identify them because they are labeled as "by [X pages]", and when you open any of them, the title changes to "a book by CharName [X pages]". Also, there is a certain pattern to what books can be edited. For example, in that "Too short book by Sherlock" picture, I knew that only the blue one could be edited.

In relation to getting your "book publicized", I've decided to add only the static ones and skip the books bought by players. These can be found in their own houses/shops, and that is not what I was aiming for. I also skipped any empty books, even if they had humorous titles, like "a book by CANADA RULES" or "a book by A Fat Kid". Furthermore, I decided to not upload any of my messages, mostly because they are simply cheesy inspirational quotes.

Unfortunately, the downside of these books is that they can be edited by anyone, which is not the case for locked books inside player houses. I believe this was the case on "A Villa on the Sea" by Johari, and the "hijacking" by Jupiter. Also, since I've travelled every city and checked every bookshelf, my journey is over for now. If you decide to add something to the topic, feel free to do it.
    Azoth, newme and Vlar like this.