A couple of questions re builds

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Daggot, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Daggot

Daggot New Member

Hi all, I'm pretty new to server (played UO like 10 years ago :D) and would love to kindly ask you to help me out with my builds.

Firstly, I am terribly in love with Thunting as this is the kewlest thing about UO )). So i plan the following template:
    Lockpicking - 100
    Cartography - 100
    Magery - 100
    Meditation - 100
    Musicianship - 100
    Provocation - 100
    Hiding/Peacemaking - ???
    Not sure about the last one - I now have hiding as i try to get the initial goal as it is very helpful in farming some mobs and evading battles/thieves. On the other hand I also have peacemaking as it makes easier my life atm while i'm not yet gm in provocation. Both of the skills are usefull for my t-hunter. Hiding is cool to evade the fight after u've dug up the chest. On the other hand I can peace a solo mob when it spawns while i milk the higher lvl chests until i get a friend for him to play with :D. What are your suggestions?

Secondly, sometimes I just love to get a huge axe or mace and go kill those mobs face to face. So i decided to make a peace-dexxer. Here is what I plan to do:
    Healing - 100
    Anatomy - 100
    Tactics - 100
    Sword/Macefighting - 100 (not sure about this one)
    Musicianship - 100
    Peacemaking - 100
    ?????
    The last one is the toughest. I'm thinking on getting Magery ~50 (to cast recall scrolls without fizzling) to be more mobile and be able to evade the battle if needed and the rest goes to meditation. OR maybe i should get gm spell resist to be more resilient? What's your advice on this one?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,

Daggot.
  2. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

My .02... I'd go with Hiding or Wrestling for your treasure hunter. I had peace on my bard, and literally never used it.

For the peace-dexxer, I'd suggest GM Magery, mostly for emergency heals, an Invisbility, etc. The mace/swords choice could go either way, there's positives to each.
  3. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

For the last 100 points on your peace warrior 60 LJ and 40 Magery is pretty legit.
  4. Chris

Chris Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Welcome to UO Renaissance Daggot. If you have not found your way there yet we have a well developed test center with all the supplies and tools you will need to try out various builds.

It should be listed in razor if you used our installer, if not it is test.uorenaissance.com port 2597.

Gates are provided at every bank and start inn to the testing area where you will find everything you might need to tinker with builds.

You can also set skills with "set skill 100" or stats with "set str 100"

test.png
  5. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Eval Int is another potential candidate for that last slot on your T-Hunter.
  6. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

My vote is for hiding on the t-hunter....it makes lockpicking in dungeons a LOT easier....and you are going to spend a LOT of time there.......
  7. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

Personally I would just make a sort of utility character with skills like item id, lockpicking, cartography.

You could put hide and stealth or other skills on it, and be a dungeon lockpicker, and do Tmaps, or be a bard with carto/LP to do maps, but dungeon chests aren't worth doing for their own loot mostly.
  8. LudKrud

LudKrud Active Member

Yeah its a little different where you can log in 2 or 3 characters at a time to do stuff.....my cart was made on OSI to solo chests.....here you could just hide and switch to another char.
  9. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

Has anyone soloed a lvl 6 chest successfully? If so, what was your build?
  10. Basoosh

Yea, this is ultimately the route I took as well, and I would definitely recommend it. GM Item ID is incredibly useful for treasure hunters. Not to mention, the higher level maps are either not going to be possible as a pure solo T-Hunter or will take you eons to complete with just Provocation. This also frees up enough skill room for your utility character to take Detect Hidden, allowing you to completely avoid the suicide-inducing grind that is 95+ lockpicking.

It's a little clunky to 'actively' play two accounts, but well worth it IMO. The only time I would ever use a pure solo T-Hunter over a dual setup is for quickly knocking out level 1 & 2 maps, but once you're somewhat established, the lower level maps quickly become not worth the time.

OP, you might be interested in reading a guide I put together on Treasure Hunting awhile back... it discusses different builds and the merits of them towards the end:

http://uorforum.com/threads/david-hasselhoffs-guide-to-treasure-hunting.2422/
  11. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I would go hiding.

Also, keep in mind what skill you'll need while GMing Lockpicking. For me, and this is only my own personal experience, what I did was to start with 50 Magery/50 Carto, THEN GM Mage, Med, Hiding, then I macroed LPing up to 95 while working stealth, which I GMed also. I THEN GMed Lockpicking while using hiding AND stealth for those pesky dungeon chests. When I GMed LPing, I dropped stealth and GMed Cartography, Music and Provo.
  12. Daggot

Daggot New Member

Thank you very much for all great replies. I've done my homework and read all the guides before. That's how i got the peace-dexxer built in the first place :). I do not really like to play several characters at once that is why i decided not to make one utility character and one full pvm oriented. Besides I tend to get pretty sentimental with my chars so I really like to play serveral of them in stead of a dozen. I will surely have a crafter/fisherman some time later if I have the pasience for it :D. But atm I'm working on the abovementioned set of skills. Thank you very much again. I think i'll stick with hiding and peacemaking for now up untill I GM lockpicking and after it I'll decide what to drop for Cartography.

What are the pros and cons of swordsmanship and macefighting? Thanks.
  13. Huzke

Huzke Active Member

I like swords for pvm simply because with the many types of swords it's easier to get a good slayer weapon.
  14. Daggot

Daggot New Member

Morning all (heh at least its morning for me).

After spending a week in chasing those pesky lvl 4 dungeon chests and dying several times to mobs and pks (at least they haven't got my regs :) as i recalled to a GZ with 3-4 health and died there from poison :() I only got 0,7 in lockpicking (wtf:mad:) I decided to stick to your wise advise (plz forgive me my stubbornness :() and create a support character with Item ID, Cart, Hiding, Lockpicking, Detect Hidden (in order not to get gm in Lockpicking), Magery, Fishing - this will allow me to free up skill slots from my main and fish some tmaps and other nice lewt :D.
    So I'm now thinking on my main and here is what I got in my mind. Plz be gentle and don't hit me too hard :) but anyway I am more than happy to read all your critics on my build.

Music
    Peace
    Provo
    Magery
    Medit
    Eval Intel
    ???

Now the last one, I think, might be either Magic Resist or Wrestling - maybe something else?

Please feel free to comment and propose alternatives/changes to the above build. Additionally, I would be very grateful, if you can provide some arguments why do you think I should choose this or that skill.

Thank you.

Daggot.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Magic resist or wrestling would both be fine. I have a character like this with hiding. It would help to know exactly what you wanted to do with it, though.

For instance for fighting high end mobs in dungeons hiding is nice because its harder for pks to track you and reveal you before you can recall. You can provoke things and then hide.
  16. Daggot

Daggot New Member

Yes, basically I would like to use my support char for decoding, digging and lockpicking the 4-6 lvl TMaps and after the chest is up switching to my main to deal with the guards and of course go into dungeons from time to time to kill some tough mobs. Currently I have gm hiding and I pretty love it, but though that in order to dish out more dps and be able to save myself, wrestling or magicresist might be better - I can be wrong though.
  17. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Definitely Wrestling over Magic Resist.

If you resist spells, any spell you're casting is still disrupted. Wrestling lets you cast through your enemies' weapon swings (well, half the time at least). I find it much more valuable than Resist.
  18. Basoosh

Just a heads up - you will need 95.0 REAL lockpicking skill to go with the GM detect hidden in order to lockpick level 5 & 6 chests. This is one of the very few places in UO that the game engine uses your real skill instead of your stat-modified shown skill. Dunno why that is. So you will likely still need to hit dungeons for a couple of points.
  19. Daggot

Daggot New Member

Thank you very much for the reply.

That's a very useful tip thanks. But anyway getting 0,3-0,2 skill isn't the same as getting 5,3-5,2 :)
  20. Basoosh

Yep, for sure. Just didn't want you to be like me 6 months ago: standing in front of a locked level 5 chest with 94.7 real lockpicking skill and looking for a GM lockpicker in IRC.