A "Young's" Guide to Animal Taming

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Methuselah, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

First of all if you are reading this, you are probably new to the server and I would like to say welcome to UOR!

This guide is written for those characters that are still classified as “Young”. For those who are not “Young” and want to enjoy some light reading, well who am I to judge….

So you want to make a tamer? You’ve probably seen many different guides that follow a similar structure of using a boat to tame on Ice Island, hiding behind a fence in Jhelom or trying to set up a macro in Hythloth with a bard/healer.

What if I told you that you would be able to GM Animal Taming before your “Young” status wears off? Then please keep reading and look at the images below.

Character Build
    Skills: 50 Taming, 50 Magery (mandatory)
    Stats: 59 Str, 10 Int, 11 Dex (suggested)

Below you will find my friend / tester, Anastasia with a progress report using this method.

[​IMG]

Note: Anastasia hit 94.2 taming and 100 animal lore with 132 hours remaining as Young.
    Note: I gave her that nightmare to show you the evidence of her skill level.

[​IMG]

Here is a list of all the beasts that you will be working with using this guide and where they can be found:

[​IMG]

Phase 1
    As a “Young” character you begin your journey in the city of Occolo. Do not waste any time working on Animal Lore or any other skills, as your precious "Young" hours will slowly diminish. From 50-59.1 you will need to run around on the island of Ocollo in search of the following:

Hind
    Timber Wolves
    Black Bears
    Brown Bears
    Cougars
    Grey Wolves
    Panthers

Tame all of these animals until you reach 59.1 Taming. “This will be the hardest part in the guide”. (Anastasia)

Phase 2
    Afterwards you will want to journey into the caverns of Ocollo. Get to the area where 3 ratmen and a giant spider hang out. By now you will have learned that as a “Young” player, monsters do not attack you, unless you attack them first. This is EXTREMELY important moving forward from here on out.

What you want to do is to tame the giant spider that is near the Ratmen. Once you successfully tame it, walk the giant spider over to the Ratmen, and allow them to kill it. DO NOT TELL THE SPIDER TO KILL! If you do then the Ratmen will now be able to attack you, and you might not survive. Now all you do is wait for another spider to spawn. Tame it, walk it to Ratmen, let it die…..

[​IMG]

You will notice that the respawn rate for the spider can be anywhere from 1-5 minutes. This can be mind-numbing, even for those who are patient. If you want a change of scenery and want to run around, go to the top side of the Island, run around and tame the following:

Brown Bears
    Cougars
    Grey Wolves
    Panthers
    Great Harts
    Grizzly Bears
    Giant Spiders
    Snakes (found in the sewers of Occolo)

Phase 3 (last phase 05/07/2014)
    You will eventually tame everything possible on the top side and realize that this is unproductive…. So back to the cave you go. Once you hit 71.1 taming, STOP! Taming from here on out will become a breeze.

[​IMG]

(The lich is normally up here as well.)

From 71.1 to 84.3 you will tame, a Greater Mongbat that is hanging out in the sewer system. You will find a platform with the following:

Lich
    Mongbat
    Greater Mongbat

You should see the follow, a lich, a mongbat and a greater mongbat. Now we use the same method as with the giant spider. Tame the greater mongbat, and just wait. Once it’s tame the lich will destroy your newly tamed mongbat. The respawn for the greater mongbat is anywhere from 5 seconds to a minute…. Yes 5 seconds, this is not a typo.

Once you hit 77.1 and want to move around, you can now tame the Giant Toads that spawn in the sewer system. Remember, only take your skill up to 84.3.

5/7/2014 Because of the popularity of this thread, as of April 27, 2014 Phase 4 no longer works. The developers changed the scripture of the drake required for Phase 4 from tamable to untamable. However, you are still able to GM Animal Taming from the Greater Mongbats and the Giant Toads. The Greater Mongbats are equivalent to taming bulls, and the Giant Toads are even higher.

Phase 4 (last phase)

Once you hit 84.3 it is time to move on to the last location of this guide. You will make your way to the platform where “Smaug” (drake) is located. This is found through a hidden passage next to where you were taming the giant spider. With your “Young” title still intact, walk up to it and begin to tame it. After its tamed (YOUR Smaug), just sit there and wait. A NEW Smaug will respawn in about 2 minutes. Let YOUR Smaug and the NEW Smaug battle it out. Your goal here is to assist in killing YOUR Smaug. In the end you want the NEW Smaug to have about 50% hp when YOUR Smaug dies. Then tame the NEW Smaug. Repeat this method until either your “Young” title drops or you GM. I’m not sure which will come first. Remember, DO NOT tell YOUR Smaug to kill, just want until the NEW Smaug attacks yours.

3/22/2014 Update: Anastasia GM'd Animal Taming before her "Young" title dropped.

4/23/2014 Update: If gold and titles are not a concern or the Smaug room is pre-occupied, then it is possible to GM Animal Taming from the Phase 3 (greater mongbats). - Wargo

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: May 7, 2014
    Sockz, Bran, Vlar and 7 others like this.
  2. Beethoven

Beethoven Member

I tested this method and it works flawlessly. I suggest every new player with the ambition of being a tamer sooner or later to follow this guide step by step. It is worth it. I should add that this method will let you loot the drake and get you fairly rich. after 6 days (or part-time work) i have more than 85k gold doing only this and still more than 125 hours of young status(and 94.9 taming)

[​IMG]

- Anastasia
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2014
    Fabio, Mariano and Huzke like this.
  3. Wodan

Wodan Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Nice idea ! I really like it ...
    Methuselah and Beethoven like this.
  4. TiMi

TiMi Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

awesome guide thanks!
    Methuselah and Beethoven like this.
  5. wvmtnman

wvmtnman Member

I made your guide!!! I was Jealous of the mare... Sigh LOL
    Beethoven likes this.
  6. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

Hahaha, that you did! I saw your text in chat, and HAD to add it to the guide... it was too funny.
    Beethoven likes this.
  7. Beethoven

Beethoven Member

Maybe i should mention that i gm taming before the end of my <young> status. Bought a small tower and have enough gold to train Magery/resist, vet and more(plus a nice collection of magic items). I am not the most hard working uo player but this guide is simply perfect.
    Mariano likes this.
  8. Mariano

Mariano New Member

Hi everyone!

Sorry for my English, its my 2nd language! :)

I will start highlighting the last comment:

Nothing more to add. I followed this guide step by step, and this are the results (with 40k of gold at the bank):

Dibujo.JPG

I am very grateful towards Meth, and wanted to thank him personally! I met him today and he helped me a lot, and as you can see, gave me a nice mare! So Im the 2nd [Young] char with a nightmare in Occlo hehe

So, now I will try to give some feedback of this guide, and I hope it helps. There isnt much anyway.

The whole process needs what Meth said: PATIENCE. Almost every step takes time and presence in the pc, so dont expect magic! Relax, as the guide is VERY EFFECTIVE.

1- FIRST PHASES

I didnt find this very unproductive. During this phases (0 - 2), doing this helped me to raise around 20% of the skill points, so it helps, and going around the island can be done quickly. The thing is that animals take a lot to re-spawn, so I would recommend to do this every 1 - 3 hours, to let animals spawn again. Remember to kill the animals once tamed!

2- MONGBAT PHASE

Literally, i completed this part in aprox 5 hours, absolutely AFK (reached 85.4 Animal Taming). The spawn rate is incredibly fast.
    - In my opinion, there is no need to get the regular mongbat trapped. This is the thing. To macro this part, You simply have to record with razor the few steps when taming the greater mongbat, and then change the "Target Absolute" into "Target by Type". When this is done, you will realize that Razor does not distinguish between the 2 mongbats, and so the process will be a little slower, cuz half of the taming will be done towards the regular creature. So, why am I saying that this is better? Simple. The platform is a big rectangle, and your taming area is a square. If you trap him, and leave only the greater MB and the Lich, you will se that sometimes the creature spawns far from your position, and so the process will stop until you move your char nearer. If you leave the 3 creatures, if the greater MB spawns far away, your char will still tame the regular one, and when done, this one will attract the other, entering in your taming area. So leaving the 3 of them reduces the possibility of the process stopping, and letting you leave the char AFK.

I recommend using razor constantly. When hours go by, it will be your best friend! Some parts of this guide can be automated with very easy lines.

Except for those small aspects, the rest of the guide is perfect. This should be one of the main page guides, no doubt. I will try to help that happen!

I hope this feedback is enough to thank Meth for everything!!
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Methuselah, Damian and Beethoven like this.
  9. Damian

Damian New Member

I feel kinda dirty, telling all these animals that I'm not going to hurt them & will take care of them, only to feed them to orcs. Excellent guide. I'm following it as well and I'm at 60 taming. Will post pics w/ my pet dragon when it happens.
  10. marine1217

marine1217 Member

ooh yeah i can be lazy with my taming.
    Beethoven likes this.
  11. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

It sure was Wargo! Thank you for your kind words!
    Mariano and Beethoven like this.
  12. Choco

Choco Member

I cannot find enough spawn to get 2.0 points on Occlo
  13. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

What's your current skill at?
  14. Choco

Choco Member

15. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

That level of taming is the toughest part of this guide, I suggest when you successfully tame a creature that you send it to its death. This way there is no time lost based on confusion, or retaming on your end. And is that your real or shown skill?
  16. Choco

Choco Member

17. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

Just tame everything on the list provided on Phase 0, then after they are tamed, have them killed.
  18. wvmtnman

wvmtnman Member

That is what I'm stuck on too -_-... I think taming is about one of the hardest skills to gm.
    Vlar likes this.
  19. Vlar

Vlar Well-Known Member

Smart idea writing this guide! I've made a mental note to refer new players to it. Well done!
    Beethoven and Methuselah like this.
  20. Methuselah

Methuselah New Member

Why thank you! I was hoping it would eventually get linked to the main Taming page to get more foot traffic. I know when I started on this server, I would look there, rather than the forums.
    Beethoven likes this.