Anyone got time to make a UOR Mac version file?

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jakob, Feb 3, 2014.

1. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Is there anyone here who would have the skill, will and time to make a UOR Mac version? I got my UO for mac from another server who had it. It was just to download, install and then play, all server settings already in place. However, if I make any changes to my UO files nothing will work, so for example I'm stuck with the dreadful new UO music (which is for that client somehow) instead of the epic old school music. I can't see the custom houses on UOR either. I've tried some things but it never worked.

This would also benefit shard population making it easier for Mac-users to test the server.
  2. Sherelle

Sherelle Member

Ahoy there, colorful one.

I run UO:R in a Windows XP virtual machine on my Linux desktop, and it works perfectly. I'd imagine it can be done just as well for Macs.

Get yourself a valid copy of Windows XP, download Virtualbox (free and open source) and use the wizard to set up a virtual hard drive for a Windows XP installation, mount your Windows XP disc or .iso and install it as you would on any regular computer. After that it should be smooth sailing (it was for me!)

The version you found on the other website was most likely bundled with WINE, a compatability layer which doesn't play well with the UO:R custom client (most notably the music.)
  3. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Hm, interesting, didn't hear of VirtualBox before. I'll try it!
  4. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I bootcamped my Mac in order to play UO
  5. Paradigm

Paradigm Active Member

I use Parallels and it runs three clients with windows xp just fine.
  6. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Just a reminder, even though tips are good, the thread is not about how to be able to run UO on a Mac. The question is if anyone would be up for it making a download file making access to UOR easier for mac users coming here.
  7. newme

newme Well-Known Member

Do you have bootcamp on your Mac? It has a windows mode.

What OS Mac do you have?
  8. Jakob

Jakob Well-Known Member

Yeah I've got bootcamp, but I don't like to have to reboot so I don't use it. I've got Snow Leopard. Please, read my post above yours though. :)
  9. corruption

corruption Well-Known Member

If you already have a bootcamp partition, then you should just be using that instead of trying to find alternate routes around it:

The commercial routes:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/micros ... Id=1015088

http://kb.parallels.com/en/113658

Or, if you're a bit more daring, the free route:

http://truongtx.me/2013/07/11/virtualbo ... ion-guide/

Basically -- the concept is identical to what Sherelle and Paradigm described, except you won't have to create a virtual machine and reinstall Windows and all that. You'll be able to simply use your existing boot camp installation, and all three of them offer a seamless desktop option that can make it feel pretty close to a native application.

Both VMWare Fusion and Parallels are quite good at what they do, but for most people, VirtualBox is more than adequate. Sometimes it takes a bit more work to get it to function than the others will, but it gets the job done. Both VMWare and Parallels on the other hand are extremely user friendly and well renowned.
  10. corruption

Would any of the folks interested in a one-click UOR client please get ahold of me? I wouldn't say I've got the client functioning 100% yet, but I have it in a functional and testable state. I would like to get this as well-rounded as possible for us, as Chris is considering adding it to the Client downloads page.

Please get ahold of me if you're wiling to do some client testing!
  11. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

While I don't really use my Mac Mini, it is the i7 model with a bunch of the RAMs in it. OSX something something. Just get me deets and I will make my son test it (it's in his room :p)
  12. corruption

I'll get ahold of you on IRC tomorrow w/ a link to grab it -- I still have a few more things to do with it before I do the first round of testing. Thanks :)