Bosses

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Jack of Shadows, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Jack of Shadows

Jack of Shadows Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm kind of digging these boss fights, I was wondering about maybe having a rev statue and a grand visor statue added in, they go with the theme of the boss rewards and would look better than the current drops.

I was also thinking of other bosses that would be cool to fight and some of the spawns I thought would be fun were :

Orcs: *would make farming orc spots more fun*
    Slimes *I think it would be funny if this spawned the hardest boss in the game*
    rats/ratmen
    lizardmen

and maybe work in tribal folks for dexers *boss could drop random tribal colored mask like in era*

Anyhow, I know I'll be doing these forever as it is, but I think this could do a lot to bring life to spawn areas that usually aren't camped, and add to the boss system.
  2. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

There's a handful of bosses designed that haven't been implemented yet, or so I've heard. I like that they aren't all released yet but I am eager to see more. :)
  3. Wise

Wise Well-Known Member

4. Cynic

Cynic Well-Known Member

I contemplated starting a thread like this a while ago.

I wouldn't mind seeing some form of mini-mini bosses. Hear me out here... The current bosses, at least for the most part, aren't easily killable without tamers. I propose that lesser monsters that don't currently have a boss get one added, like regular liches, ice fiends/demons, mage lords, ophids, etc..

I would propose that these bosses have a 50% chance at plat, instead of the 100%, don't drop rares, but have increased chance at slayers. And please make them bardable.
  5. Ningauble

Ningauble Active Member
    UO:R Donor

I'm all for adding more boss types. Especially in those lesser slayer groups like orc, troll, scorpion, etc, particularly if added in under utilized places. Give these items and areas more purpose. Perhaps some in overland areas.
  6. Lightshade

Lightshade Well-Known Member

More variety is always a good thing.
  7. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Bear in mind, for newer players and certain templates, a boss effectively shuts off a spawn. I have responded to calls for help a number of times, wherein someone is farming harpies, for example, and a Gamayun spawns and they either need someone to come kill it, or they need to leave.

Ophidians, IMO, would be a great spot for a new boss, given that it's a high degree of difficulty area. Maybe orcs too, since they tend to have large concentrated numbers and aren't exactly newb material. Ratmen and lizardmen though, may start to encroach upon the capability of newer players to make a buck.

The revenant and grand vizier have special weapons they drop in rarity, like the statues.
  8. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

I slayed the first Gamayun with my naturalist character. It took me like 20+ minutes and about 60+ bandages, but it was nothing to call home about.

The long term intention is to have a wide variety of bosses of all levels, from Ratmen/Lizardmen to the top dawgs like the PoD and Elder Wyrm.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Hello, Sior Elis would like to disagree with you.
  10. snap dragon

snap dragon Well-Known Member

chicken boss.

kill too many chickens he spawns and summons many such chickens to attack you (from off screen of course, ala Zelda)
    Jupiter likes this.
  11. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member

I think Robin Redding would also disagree. In fact, I believe if you do a thorough accounting of kill rankings you'll see why I think bards need a big fat nerf before I continue my crusade to have control slots lowered. (Seriously, if you have the time, look at what's been killed and consider the percentage of kills made by any character at all that lacks at least one bard skill.)
    I'm not the biggest PvMer myself and generally shy away from higher end bosses but the PvM here is great. On previous shards I've been almost completely uninvolved with hunting. Here, I decided to train my main character in taming due to frustration with having most doors shut to the pure mage (I was wrong about this, btw, as two pure mages can take down almost all of the bosses.) After months of playing a mage tamer I retrained into a provo tamer and since then I've stabled dragons and just never even brought them out to fight bosses. In fact, over the last month I've been called in to "just BS" specifically and the only boss I've 'needed' dragons for (the Elder Wyrm) I've also required a bard to help me out. This mofo is tough enough that I was able to get a pretty good idea that an extra vet isn't even a small fraction as useful as a successful disco.
    Keep in mind I don't seek out bosses to kill but if you check out my main character's logs you'll see I've killed at least one of almost everything that was ever available to kill (sans a couple bosses that aren't even the tough ones, fluffies, leprechauns.) Over the course of this character's career he's been a fencer, a hybrid, a heal/hide mage, a stun/heal, a scribe/heal, a stun/scribe, a 5x tamer, a vet mage and the current provo tamer. Almost everything I've ever done on UOR has been done with this one character. There isn't a skill that's more over-powered than musicianship. I know this offends most of you but it's the truth. Bards don't need a leg up! . . . Fact! I whole-heartedly agree that more bosses would be wonderful and have contributed to the thread Wise posted (that most of you can't view) but dexxers and pure mages are the ones that need a bone thrown in their direction. Beyond that, I don't think we should have so many bosses that are "solo-able" at all. More un-bardable, insta-dispelling, tame-shredding bosses would be fine by me because I think you should need a whole crew to take down the top bosses.
  12. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Honestly, after the resistance to damage from tames was kicked up, melee is truly the best. We rocked an Ogre Mage the other night with three faction dexxers.

Bards definitely have a leg up if you consider Discordance as well but quite frankly, they're bards. They are supposed to be like that.
  13. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Still awaiting the savage tribe to be created so I can farm some tribal spears. ;)
    Jupiter likes this.