CAN WE PLEASE HAVE ...

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Ziggy Stardust, Jun 24, 2022.

1. Ziggy Stardust

Ziggy Stardust Active Member

In an effort to improve the UOR Player experience, could we please Have :

(1) Fruit Tree Deeds for Plat Rewards! ~ Apple Trees, Plum Trees & Peach Trees, that you can place, pick fruit from & eat from, are worth spending plat. The Large & Small Banana trees are really cool too. Especially with the banana hoard piles. Please be advised that the potted plants and potted trees we currently have are really, really Ugly!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

(2) Enchanted Apples! that can be crafted by players who have the Cooking skill, with 60 being the minimum skill level required to attempt to make them. They could require 1x Apple and 1x Greater Heal Potion as ingredients to craft.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Enchanted Apples remove curses / negative buffs from your character, when consumed, with a cool-down period of 30 seconds. They should also have a chance to fail depending on the level and number of curses applied to the user. Failure should not invoke the cool-down period.

(3)
    Bring Back The Dungeon Lever Puzzle!!

The Doom lever puzzle is a puzzle that could be located in any Dungeon, ( I'd suggest Covetous), that requires 5 people to complete. Completing it allows access to a
    HIDDEN ROOM where a Daily Rare item, such as a Lamp Post or any such item can be stolen by a Grandmaster Thief.

PUZZLE AREA ~ With (4) Lever Pads for players and (1) Center Pad for a player with Grandmaster level Stealing Skill

[​IMG]

Solving the puzzle

To complete the puzzle, the player on the center tile, to be teleported to the secret room must have Grandmaster Stealing and stands on the middle tile, while four other people stand on the tiles in a circle around the thief. The four people each pull their lever in succession and if the order is correct the thief is struck by lightning and teleported to the hidden room. If not, then rocks fall on every player in the area. High physical resist armor is recommended.

THE HIDDEN ROOM

Once the puzzle is solved, and the GM Thief is transported into the Hidden Room, the room begins filling up with level 3 poisonous gas, which poisons the thief. The thief has to successfully steal the rare ( in this case a Lamp Post ), and exit through the teleport pad before he dies. The gold strong box on the table may also contain a 30 day spawned rare item as well, which requires that the thief successfully steal both items before he succumbs to the poison.

[​IMG]

To help solve this puzzle in the shortest time possible, here is a handy guide. The idea is that the four lever pullers are labelled N, S, E and W and the order they should pull the lever in is given as a four letter code, e.g. NESW. Depending on how many levers are correct, follow the appropriate leg of the tree. Yellow boxes are combinations to try, the blue boxes list the combinations that could possible be correct at each step.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    One, Frank Zappa and jgodd13 like this.
  2. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Some interesting ideas, there is already work towards a UOR gardening system. There is also an existing system for hidden and locked rooms all around the map. No current plans to update that system. There is a UOR Projects Map that lists some things we are currently working towards. A large factor in selecting projects to work on here is, "how many players does this affect?" For example, a small percentage of players take part in the Champ/Harrower system but the economics of that system affect everyone. The current hidden rooms or any future version of them will only used by a small percentage of players. That system does not have a large economic impact or effect anyone who chooses NOT to do the hidden rooms.
    Not saying that we'ed never be open to more complex puzzle or riddle systems (I like them). Its just not a priority at the moment. Free server, and all the work to improve systems and update things is done with our spare time.
    Kiryana and jgodd13 like this.
  3. Ziggy Stardust

The fruit trees are deeded items that would be alot more attractive and useful than the ugly potted plants we have now, for Plat Rewards. They are not seeded items that are typical to the UO Gardening system, which mostly consists of growing flowers in a pot. With regards to the Dungeon Puzzle, the fact that it would take place in a Dungeon, under the Felucca ruleset, will require it to be defended. The PKs have run through the dungeons for less. They are in there right now searching and fighting over 5k gold or a piece of pec meat. It will also give players a reason to GM a Thief and give other thieves a chance to score expensive rares without robbing other players for them. Dungeon stealables are practically non-existent on this server, whereas on other servers they generate and produce lots of rare items to the shard's economy. On OSI the daily rares stolen by doing the puzzle consisted of colored fancy Lamp Posts. Those were of great interest to players and sold on a regular basis, to those that didn't want to go to the dungeon to get them. The monthly spawned rare in the gold strongbox was an artifact called The Inquisitor's Resolution, that went for HUGE gold, even back then. If you put the right rares in the hidden room people will be all over it and it will make an impact on the economy. You have players here now that would do ANYTHING for the right colored robe or the right colored footwear or head piece. Throw a Neon colored robe, or a head piece other than a Deer Mask or Tribal Mask in the gold strongbox, as your 30 day spawned rare item, and see how much interest you generate and how much bartering you generate on the server! Trust me, the players will feel like they have a better chance and a more level playing field than waiting all year and hoping that RNG drops a decent colored clothing item in their Anniversary Bag. But Most Importantly, how much FUN you create for the players!
    Frank Zappa likes this.
  4. Keza

Keza Renaissance Staff
    Renaissance Staff

Many of your concepts are solid but the rewards your suggesting are not UOR friendly.
    If any rewards are added they have to be era-accurate. Hued lamp posts are typically only apart of Holiday events and obtained with Holiday coins. Neon robes are not a thing on this server. The closest would be anni-colored robes that only enter the game once a year. Special hues outside that can be found on NPC nobles and evil mages. Overall, UOR is not trying to be like any other server or compete with updates others have made over the years. The goal is to stay true to a 1998 feel of the old UO before too many rewards, neons hues, 3D monsters, and other junk entered the game. Adding too much content or content of the wrong type will ruin a server. Thats partly why it takes so long to get things added here.
    Venger and Kiryana like this.
  5. Ziggy Stardust

Go to the bank and take a look around at the rich people. NEON wall to wall, AkA "Anni-colored" clothing. I played through 2nd Age, Renaissance, and still have my 3 accounts on OSI now. Trust me, I was there in 99 & 2000, in the UM ( Underground Merchants) Guild, running through Bucs Den chasing Reds, when Renaissance came out, snatching weapons out of people's hands with my Disarm Theif, and then stealing those weapons from their pack and chasing them away with it. I saw every single change and expansion, including the implementation of Guard Zones. There were NO ~ NEON DYES, NEON Dragons, NEON Weapons, Lamp Posts, MOTW, Polar Bear mounts, Large White Statues in players homes, Cannons, Sandstone Fountains, Bone Furmiture, Tapestries of Sosaria, Spooky Mirrors, Dragon Lanterns, Hearths of the Home Fire, Large Fire pits, Snow tiles, Character Statues, Pirate Banners, Plat or Carpet ... And the list goes on and on, of the those things that we actually have here. In contrast, the use of pec meat, Plat & unblessed Rune Books are NOT Era accurate at all. In fact, Pec meat was never used for bonding in UO at all and Rune Books were automatically blessed when Renaissance came out in 2000. Overall, I think it is safe to say that offering a few (non-era accurate) colored clothing items would NOT be too far over an "Era Accurate" threshold that UOR Jumped over long before this posting. You may even be surprised how many players there are here that would actually like to wear something on their head other than a Deer Mask or a (Non-Era Accurate) Tribal Mask , which was created for Ishlenar. This server should actually be about having fun. Should it not? Perhaps there is some middle ground between what could be 'Welcomed improvements' & going off the reservation. It should be noted that I have not made any suggestions or comparisons between UOR and any other Free Shard server. My comparisons are ALL strictly made between our UOR and the Original game that we claim to emulate.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Frank Zappa likes this.
  6. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

Hype Ethy Polar Bear & Long Life UOR!

Neon clothes are great for Russian servers, because shit spills from this wagon all the way ... :D
  7. AOٌ

AOٌ Well-Known Member

Just want to throw my 2 cents in.

When the server currently has a To Do list long enough to keep staff busy for a long while, I'd like to see that list dwindle into the Implemented In Game List..

Fruit bearing trees would be awesome, like the orchard in Lord Brits Castle and wherever else they were in the OG days..

While I do not disagree with the above ideas I also do not agree, just feel as if finishing a current To Do list is the absolute best option concerning current players and OG players who have read articles multiple times and have been looking forward to the day we get these features on the currently overfilled To Do List..

Even a realistic editing of the current To Do List would be appropriate, some things seem like they are either not going to happen and the nail should be put in the coffin, or something that doesn't seem like it's just there to look good.

Make the Compendium site work again.. edit the info about the server to reflect what is available and not a mix of stuff that isn't available, correct the rewards vendor on AR robes ect there seems to be a good bit of misinformation and or unfinished business that could be handled ect.

Overall I love this free shard and have absolutely no issue playing it how it has been created, just it could be more desirable if these lists were finished/realized or edited.

Long Live UOR
    Kiryana and Ziggy Stardust like this.
  8. Ziggy Stardust

Good points all. I also like playing here and look forward to whatever elevates the player experience. If CY wipes actually are coming that will be awesome. I just really wanted to spend my plat on something other than those ugly potted plants and trees! LOL
    Kiryana and AOٌ like this.
  9. Ziggy Stardust

This is what some of those trees look like when placed in your house.

[​IMG]
    AOٌ likes this.
  10. Lichend

Lichend Well-Known Member

The trees would be some legit deco compared to the plain Jane BS we now have that most people throw/giveaway. New plat rewards would be amazing since the old ones have been available for a very long while.
    I agree on keeping it era accurate. When it comes to the trees- they’re a different hue of a regular tree from the forest. The era accuracy impact is 0 compared to holiday reward/Xmas scroll ANYTHING- as the trees all exist in the game (except that ugly ass coconut tree)
  11. Zyler

Zyler Well-Known Member

upload_2022-6-26_19-28-28.png
    Annabell Red and Mr. Green like this.
  12. Ziggy Stardust

The Trees are Era accurate enough. The only difference is that they were in Lord Blackthorne's Castle grounds where players didn't have access. Those trees are great!
  13. Ziggy Stardust

Those "Ugly Ass Coconut Trees" you speak of are the tall palm trees you see there? They are actually part of a group of collectable rubble, costing 80m gold each!
  14. Venger

Venger Active Member
    UO:R Subscriber

You used to be able to pick apples from Lord Brits apple trees.
  15. Bill

Bill Active Member

I like and appreciate the balance UOR has found of adding custom items without butchering the medieval feel of the game or destroying the era mechanics. I bet they'll add those trees one day, plat reward update seems more likely than... carpentry or tailor repair deeds :(
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022