Champion Spawn, Valor Virtue, and Hero Titles Guide

Discussion in 'Guides' started by Mes, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Overview

Valor Virtue
    The Valor virtue can be used at the Knight level to start a champion spawn or boost the progress of an active champion spawn.

To start a Champion Spawn using Valor: Double click the Virtue symbol at the top of your character's paperdoll. Then double click the Valor virtue and target the skull at the center of a champion altar.

To boost the progress of a Champion Spawn using Valor: Double click the Virtue symbol at the top of your character's paperdoll. Then double click the Valor virtue and target the skull at the center of a champion altar. This will boost the altar by one red skull (1/16 of the event).

Gaining Valor is as simple as killing any monster or critter related to an active Champion Spawn. Using the virtue to start or boost a champion spawn will result in a significant loss of Valor.

What are Champion Spawns?

A Champion Spawn is an area where different groups of monsters will spawn. If enough of these monsters are killed fast enough, then their Champion will spawn. A Champion is a tough monster with significant rewards. Champions will reward gold, reagents, magic items, gems and a generous amount of platinum. They will also reward a specific skull that can be used towards summoning the Harrower.

There are 10 locations where champion altars exist and the event can take place. Five are in Felucca dungeons and five are in the Lost Lands. The five Felucca dungeon altars will always summon the same champion spawns. Four of the Lost Land altars are capable of summoning a random champion spawn when active, except for the Forest Lord spawn, which can only spawn in one location, which is in the Lost Lands.
    Felucca Dungeon Locations:
    Despise: Vermin Horde
    [​IMG]
    Deceit: Unholy Terror
    [​IMG]
    Destard: Cold Blood
    [​IMG]
    Terathon Keep: Arachnid
    [​IMG]
    Fire Dungeon: Abyss
    [​IMG]
    Lost Land Locations
    The Forest Lord
    [​IMG]
    Terra Sanctum: Random
    [​IMG]
    Ice West: Random
    [​IMG]
    City of the Dead: Random
    [​IMG]
    Khaldun: Random
    [​IMG]

Summoning a Champion:

To summon a Champion you must first cause the spawn to grow more powerful. To do that you must kill as many of the monsters there as you can, as fast as you can.

You can tell how close you are to summoning the Champion by going to the center of the spawn area and look at the altar you can find there.

On the altar you will find a number of red and white Skull Candles.
    The red candles are an indicator of how big the spawn is and how close you are to summoning the Champion, the more candles there is the closer you are.
    The white candles are an indicator of how close you are to getting another red candle.

The more red candles there is on the altar, the more powerful are the creatures that are spawning.

There can be a total of 16 red candles on the altar (16 levels of the spawn) and 5 white candles (you will never see the 5th because it will actually spawn a new red one). Once all 16 red and 5 white candles are there, then the Champion will spawn and all the candles will disappear.

To get more red candles on the altar you need to kill enough monsters within a 20 minute timeframe, the number of monsters depends on the difficulty of the monsters. As you kill monsters, you will see the white candles appear on the shrine. Each of these represents 20% of the necessary monsters having been killed (1 white candle means 20% have been killed, 2 means 40%, etc.).

If you get to 100% of the monsters killed, the spawn level moves forward to the next level, another red candle appears, all the white ones disappear and a new 20 minute timer starts for the next level. If you fail to get 100%, it will either restart the process at the same level, or if you fail miserably, it will move you backward one level and you lose a red candle.

Once the Champion is summoned, it must be killed, and you may receive platinum, gold, reagents, and gems for your effort, as well as the champion's special skull.
    One, Valrick and Zyler like this.
  2. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Re: Champion Spawn and Valor Virtue Guide

The Hero Titles
    [​IMG]
    The hero titles are awarded for killing the monsters that spawn in the Champion spawns. The first two tiers of titles are attainable by simply killing the normal monsters, but the third tier can only be attained if you are eligible for it. You become eligible for the third tier by killing the Champion.

If you have killed enough monsters in two different groups you are eligible for two titles but only the title for which you have scored the highest amount of points will show up. Killing other groups will not lower your current title.

Six of the monster groups each have their own set of titles.

Champion Titles

Abyss:
    Foe of the Abyss
    Assassin of the Abyss
    Conqueror of the Abyss

Arachnid:
    Bane of the Arachnid
    Killer of the Arachnid
    Vanquisher of the Arachnid

Cold Blood:
    Blight of the Cold Blood
    Slayer of the Cold Blood
    Destroyer of the Cold Blood

Forest Lord:
    Enemy of the Forest Lord
    Curse of the Forest Lord
    Slaughterer of the Forest Lord

Vermin Horde:
    Adversary of the Vermin Horde
    Subjugator of the Vermin Horde
    Eradicator of the Vermin Horde

Unholy Terror:
    Scourge of the Unholy Terror
    Punisher of the Unholy Terror
    Nemesis of the Unholy Terror

Killing the Harrower will result in a different set of titles, which work in a different way. The title shows how many of the different “normal” champions you have killed, the first tier is for only killing the Harrower and the seventh tier is for killing the Harrower and all the other champions.
    Super Champion Titles
    Spite of Evil
    Opponent of Evil
    Hunter of Evil
    Venom of Evil
    Executioner of Evil
    Annihilator of Evil
    Champion of Evil
    Valrick likes this.
  3. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Vermin Horde
    Native Location: Despise
    Champion: Barracoon the Piper

Tier 1: Giant Rats and Slimes
    Tier 2: Dire Wolves and Ratmen
    Tier 3: Hell Hounds and Ratman Mages
    Tier 4: Ratman Archers and Silver Serpents

Additional Comments:
    This is the easiest spawn. The boss may polymorph you or your pets into ratmen (and you will be grey). Keep that in mind if you're doing this with people you don't trust. The boss will also spawn additional ratmen when it is damaged.
    Valrick likes this.
  4. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Arachnid
    Native Location: Terathon Keep
    Champion: Mephitis

Tier 1
    : Scorpions and Giant Spiders
    Tier 2: Terathan Drones and Terathan Warriors
    Tier 3: Dread Spiders and Terathan Matriarchs
    Tier 4: Poison Elementals and Terathan Avengers

Additional Comments:
    Every tier except for the second one has poisoning mobs. This will make using a tamer dificult, but I usually do it anyways. The fourth tier is pretty difficult if you don't have bards. I really recommend using bards for this tier.

Mephitis is one of the easiest champs. He doesn't appear to have any casting ability and I believe you can just shoot him from a safe spot. Otherwise, pets will be fine against him too. He poisons a lot, but it's manageable.
    Valrick likes this.
  5. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Unholy Terror
    Native Location: Deceit
    Champion: Neira the Necromancer

Tier 1: Bogles, Ghouls, Shades, Spectres and Wraiths
    Tier 2: Bone Magi, Mummies and Skeletal Mages
    Tier 3: Bone Knights, Liches and Skeletal Knights
    Tier 4: Lich Lords and Rotting Corpses

Additional Comments:
    Bards are really helpful during tier4. It would be very difficult without bards at that point. Otherwise tamers pretty much rule here. Neira spawns undead adds like Barracoon. Rotting corpses and lich lords will be spawned during the boss as well. She first drops bones on the ground that turn into undead. If you are quick you can cut the bones up and they don't spawn adds. But I typically just have them barded.

Everything's undead, so silver weapons/instruments are ideal.
    Valrick likes this.
  6. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Abyss
    Native Location: Fire Dungeon
    Champion: Semidar

Tier 1: Mongbats and Imps
    Tier 2: Gargoyles and Harpies
    Tier 3: Fire Gargoyles and Stone Gargoyles
    Tier 4: Daemons and Succubi

Additional Comments:
    Tamers are great until tier 4 and then it's time to put your pets away. Succubi have life leeching attacks that make them pretty much invincible to anything that gets in melee range. Use barding.

Semidar is a succubus and she will do the same life leeching. It's best to kite her while casting spells (like energy bolt) on her. Male characters will notice big reflective damage. It's best to either be a female character or to polymorph into one before doing any damage to Semidar.

Exorcism slayer will work on everything here.
    Valrick likes this.
  7. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Cold Blood
    Native Location: Destard
    Champion: Rikktor

Tier 1: Lizardmen and Snakes
    Tier 2: Lava Lizards, Ophidian Enforcers and Ophidian Warriors
    Tier 3: Drakes, Ophidian Justicars and Ophidian Zealots
    Tier 4: Dragons, Ophidian Avengers and Ophidian Knight-Errants

Additional Comments:
    While tamers are great here, bards are ideal at the last tier. Rikktor does an earthquake attack that will add up quickly on players and pets.

Reptile slayer works against everything here.
    Valrick likes this.
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Forest Lord
    Native Location: The Lost Lands, southwest of the Vesper Cemetary passage
    Champion: Lord Oaks and his Forest Queen Silvani

Tier 1: Pixies and Shadow Wisps
    Tier 2: Ki-rins and Wisps
    Tier 3: Centaurs and Unicorns
    Tier 4: Ethereal Warriors and Serpentine Dragons

Additional Comments:
    Positive karma players will not be attacked by anything at this spawn. My best advice is to bring a good amount of players and to only kill the parts of the spawn that do not cause karma loss. Once again bards are pretty ideal for the last tier and you will find ethereal warriors to be quite difficult for tamers. They will periodically cause your pets to attack you.

When lord oaks is attacked he will spawn his queen Silvani. You cannot damage lord oaks effectively until Silvani is dead.
    Valrick likes this.
  9. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

The Harrower

[​IMG]

The Star Room is located deep in Terathon Keep. In the Star Room you will find six altars, one for each Champion. On these altars you can place the skull of the Champion you killed.
    [​IMG]
    The Champion Skulls

Barracoon – Skull of Greed (blue)
    Rikktor – Skull of Power (orange)
    Mephitis – Skull of Venom (green)
    Semidar – Skull of Pain (yellow)
    Neira – Skull of Death (red)
    Lord Oaks – Skull of Enlightenment (white)

Once all six skulls are in place, The Harrower will spawn in a random Felucca dungeon and a dark moongate leading to the entrance of that dungeon will appear on the altar.

The reward for killing the Harrower is much greater than that of the champions.

Those who did enough damage to the Harrower will also be awarded with a new kind of hero title, believed to be related to how many Champions you have assisted in killing.
    Valrick and Kalvasflam like this.
  10. ico1

ico1 New Member

This is very nice :mrgreen:
    Valrick likes this.
  11. [Mobolin]

[Mobolin] Active Member

Great guide so far Mes! I can't think of anyone more suitable for this than you Mr. Ethy..haha.

Do you think when time permits you can add in how to kill each Champ? I know some reflect magic and will only take melee damage etc.
  12. Basoosh

Basoosh Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Great info and guide!
    About how many people do you need to take down the easier champion spawns?
  13. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I'd say 4 well skilled people should be able to control it.
  14. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Sorry for the late reply. I think they may be solo-able, definitely doable with two people. I've done all of them except Oaks with 3 people. We pretty much exclusively use tamers and bards. In fact the provo-tamer template seems to be the best all around template for champ spawns (except this template usually doesn't have eval and may have trouble with damaging bosses that pets aren't useful on.

But generally speaking, Vermin Horde is the easiest (rats and slimes). You can easily work it with a couple tamers. The boss itself can be a little difficult because of all the rats it spawns, this is a place where the barding really shines.

Certain spawns like Abyss(Semidar) and Arachnid(Mephitis) look impossible without a lot of people, but I've done then both with just three preople. You have to work hard and its usually a 3-4 hour investment, but its a great payout. I usually see 150-250k gold split between the party at the end, and people usually walk away with 7-25 platinum each.

Sometimes when I'm in t2a I notice champ spawns that get worked up to level 3 or 4 and don't get finished. I imagine people experience some fatigue during them. It would help if people went into it realizing that it was going to take some time and they were going to have to really work hard the entire time.
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I updated this guide with some pictures, I had always intended to. If anyone has any suggestions about the guide I'd be glad to work on it.
  16. Kalvasflam

Kalvasflam Active Member

If you are still playing @Mes : Excellent guide! Thank you very much! I enjoyed reading it very much! I remember doing spawns on OSI all the time (2004/2005)! Most often we did them with 3-4 people; most of them we could finish in about an hour (I remember because we often did them early in the morning - before work - to prevent getting raided). The damage output on OSI during that time (archery was overpowered, as was necromancy) was probably considerably higher, so working the spawn was a quick thing (no need for provoke).

We would always pop several spawns till we got a barracoon spawn (Despise was pretty much undoable - even in the morning). We did a lot of Rikktors too and the occasional Neira. We did hardly any other spawns (although I remember an Oaks which took about 3-4 hours).

Whatever, this guide did refresh my memory! And I am looking forward to doing champ spawns again!
    Valrick likes this.