CUO client questions

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by TrojanCow, Jan 4, 2023.

Yes?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Yes

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. TrojanCow

TrojanCow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Just finished a fresh OS install and redoing things. I *want* to use the latest client but a couple of things are holding me back. I tried the CUO client when it was in beta and didn't care for it, now I'm trying to give it another crack.

Was wondering how many players are using the CUO client vs. Razor?

Is there a way to change the way the toon moves/feels in CUO to match Razor? I know my toon is a "sprite" but I don't get that heavy 1990 NIntendo sprite feel in the older client, the Razor client. It just seems off. Is it just me?

I love all the new screen space. Would I be correct in assuming that doesn't affect target range? Player visual range?
  2. Gossow

Gossow Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I think the vast majority of the playerbase use CUO. I was hesitant at first too, but I love it now - definitely give it a crack.

AFAIK, it doesn't increase any visual range, definitely doesn't increase targeting range.

Nice seeing your name again mate, welcome back!
    TrojanCow and Kiryana like this.
  3. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

The view range of 18 tiles will remain so. Everything further will be drawn as a bare map without npc, players and houses, etc. However, after spending a couple of hours on CUO, I returned to an old client. I want to eat natural food and don't like so much plastic.

That being said, I consider CUO a good client and I see how people enjoy it. Since I was a child, I got used to the old client and it's just a personal preference, giving me exactly the UO that my heart needs.

Joining the words of a friend Gossow, I am also glad to see you Cow!

Regards,
    Kir.
    TrojanCow and Gossow like this.
  4. TrojanCow

That's what I am thinking is happening to me. Wish there was just a box you could check that made it move/feel like in UO's first three years or so. It seems like in most other ways superior.

Good to see you again too. I've been around, but usually just bothered Landarr with my questions and whatnots. Figured since he was retiring, I would give him some Peace.
    Kiryana likes this.
  5. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member

just drop the fps to 15.
    TrojanCow likes this.
  6. Kiryana

Kiryana Well-Known Member

<<<Yes sir, but the plastic will stay.
  7. TrojanCow

This is The Joking?

I actually looked for an FPS setting to try it and couldn't find it.
  8. Labeler

Labeler Well-Known Member

no, you can adjust the FPS to your wishes/likings
    i think the old client ran on 15 or 20 fps

upload_2023-1-7_10-45-49.png
    TrojanCow likes this.
  9. NCCML

NCCML Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I didn't switch over for a long time either, but I'm glad that I did now.

The biggest hurdle was absolutely the movement for me too, although I can also say that I got used to the difference REALLY fast, like a couple days. And now, I'd never go back.

Its just a lot smoother with this client, and there are a lot of quality of life improvements that have been made. Too many little options to list, but it all makes a big difference in my opinion.

I'd say make the switch, leave the fps at 60, and play for a few days. If you still hate it, go back.

PS: you mentioned the "razor" client, which I assume means the old OSI client. Razor is also the assistant used in the launcher with Classic UO.
    StarTrakZack, TrojanCow, Zero and 2 others like this.
  10. TrojanCow

I appreciate the advice.

I'm going to ween myself to like 40 FPS. Maybe it really is just my own head getting in the way.
  11. StarTrakZack

StarTrakZack Well-Known Member

Good to see another vet returning! :)
    TrojanCow and Kiryana like this.
  12. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Well-Known Member

Welcome back good sir!

I thought I might jump in on this. When I first changed clients it felt like I wasn't playing the UO I wanted... It took a few weeks and I adjusted. I open the old client now and it gives me motion sickness.

I would point out that the old client was 14 or 15 FPs (Quick said once was it was) If you are specifically crafting or doing things of that nature the game play benefit may not be there besides quality of life improvements that you might notice.

If you plan on PvM or PvP you have a huge benefit on this client. This of UO PvP like a FPS shooter. You'll see things happen that much quicker as your screen is updating faster. I would note also that if you have a 60htz monitor your FPS cap will be 60 FPS even though the client might say you are running 240. (If you have monitor FPS questions shoot me a PM)

Plus many more improvements like screen size and such.

Also if you want a walk through of the new client I can discord stream mine and explain what all the new stuff does as I have for a number of people.

These below are good twitch streams snippets of me playing this last year and show the client well.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1684857208
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1433419938
    NCCML, TrojanCow and Kiryana like this.
  13. TrojanCow

Hey Ron!

I remember (fighting) you.

Thanks for the offer! I'll probably be around in Discord when things settle down (new house + new computer) and will look out for you if I hit a wall. I'm already starting to get the hang of it, and it is growing on me daily. So far, it's almost like playing a new UO Ren. I am glad I was convinced to give it a second look.
    Lightshade, NCCML and StarTrakZack like this.