Focus (And other skills)

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by ravenclaw, Feb 5, 2013.

1. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

Are there some skills that do not increase? For example, Focus is a skill used by mages and warriors to restore stamina and mana faster and is supposed to increase as you use these (By casting spells or running around). Oddly I've noticed that the Focus skill does not seem to be increasing. My question is.. Is this normal? And if so is there a list of skills that are locked?

Thank-you,
    Ravenclaw
  2. Godric Greycliff

Godric Greycliff Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

We don't have the focus skill here. The other skills we don't have, off the top of my head, would be necromancy, chivalry, and ninjitsu as well as whatever skills came along with elves and gargoyles, if any.

Also, welcome to the shard.
  3. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

Thanks Godric, I appreciate the reply and the welcome. I was going to use the focus to improve stamina regen and I think (but not sure) it also lessened the chance of being disturbed during healing ("Your fingers slip!") but this gives me the opportunity to switch to Resist Magic which I think in the long run may be more important anyway.

Have a great day,
    Ravenclaw
  4. Blaise

Blaise Well-Known Member

Aye, just to confirm, Focus is not an applicable skill in this era and you're definitely better off working on Resist Magic. :)

Welcome to Renaissance!!
  5. ravenclaw

ravenclaw New Member

Sounds good. Thanks Blaise.
  6. Xyster

Xyster New Member

With no Focus skill, is there a way to increase Stam regeneration? Does the Meditation skill have any effect?

Sorry for poking an old post. I was searching and trying to answer my own question and failed. *shrug*
  7. HateCrime

HateCrime Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Best way to increase stamina regen = eat food.

Also, welcome to the server! I hope to see you in game and if you have any questions please joins us in IRC and don't hesitate to ask!

-HC
  8. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Just drink total refresh pots for your stam. There is no way to increase the rate in which stamina regenerates. However eating food will restore 5 stamina per item you eat.

I know this is a debate as old as Ultima Online - but eating food does only one thing: restores 5 stamina. There's no other cool effects. It doesn't make you cast better or gain skills better.
  9. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

Wrong! It also improves the rate of passive health regen.
  10. Urza

Urza Active Member

Wow, Pirul!
    I did not realize that food increases health regen as well. Can anyone else confirm?
  11. Xyster

Xyster New Member

I have no idea about the health benefits but when I am stuck and cant get a skill gain, eating something sure seems to help... Yes, I know that is incorrect but it seems to help.
    It may not be era accurate but I sure would like to see the focus skill again.
  12. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I am not positive if it is indeed implemented on this shard, but here's an UOHoC Chat log from 1999 where DesignerDragon confirms how it should be:

How it works on another server:
  13. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

Food gives 5 stamina

one character full, one character starved after some time spent regenerating from the same starting point
    [​IMG]

please let this UO myth die

and please I assure you it will not affect skill gain nor how often you fail spells either
  14. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Well, it's not a myth, it's a bug...
  15. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

How is it a bug? People wanted to believe food did something more than it did. It gives 5 stamina. That's not a bug.
  16. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

I think Dalavar means it's a bug that it does not regen HP faster.
  17. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

18. Pirul

Pirul Well-Known Member

So I assume you mean that it is a myth that one of the creators of the game said it did something back then, and yet on this shard it does not. If that isn't an opportunity for "perfecting" the shard, then I don't know what is. Or what am I missing?
  19. Dalavar

Dalavar Well-Known Member

Right. It seems pretty likely it existed on OSI, ergo it should exist here, unless purposefully omitted.
  20. Mes

Mes Well-Known Member

I'm saying it did not function this way on OSI either, its just a 10+ year UO tradition of misinformation. The focus skill increased stamina and health regeneration after AoS. There were also stam and health regen modifications on armor and some spells that changed them as well. But food and hunger were never, in my opinion, a factor.