Gump Noise

Discussion in 'Renaissance Discussion' started by Mithras, Sep 22, 2023.

1. Mithras

Mithras Member

Just saying... Trying to have two screens open on a 14 inch laptop screen is tough in general. Trying to set a macro when fishing, like during a tournament, but then still trying to feed a kid or do the dishes quickly but staying within ear shot so that if a horrible monster shows up, I can respond to the trouble and kick butt. If there was a loud or different noise signaling the gump, it would give you a chance to respond. You're not out with your homies at the bar letting your computer do its thing... your 6 feet away doing dishes. And partaking in a community event. Thanks.
    Hollywood likes this.
  2. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

I requested this a long time ago. Was a hard no.
    Mithras likes this.
  3. Mithras

Mithras Member

It’s too bad… if the chickens can cluck the way they do and untamed horses can neigh all day, a gump can have a noise too
  4. Jill Stihl

Jill Stihl Well-Known Member
    UO:R Subscriber

Wouldn't that be AFK then?

Having an audio alert would completely defeat the purpose of the gump.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  5. Mithras

Mithras Member

I believe this is a game of semantics at the end of the day sir. The blanket implication of AFK is that you are unavailable to respond to anything. Being well within eyesight of a screen, and therefore the keyboard, and well within audible range make it less "Away From Keyboard" and more like "I can see, I can hear, I'll be right there". Of course, this means that the acronym will then need to be changed to ICSICHIBRT which is quite different from AFK, not nearly as sexy for one, which is good because they are two completely different things.
  6. Garavar

Garavar Well-Known Member
    UO:R Donor

Point a baby monitor towards your screen and walk away with the receiver or app on your phone.

You have kids have to have a baby monitor.

But in the same breathe it's time to just remove the gumps, who really cares if people are AFK scripting anything. If everyone does it, it doesn't hurt the community.
  7. Mithras

Mithras Member

I've learned to just stop the macro when the kid(s) need something. Much easier and it prevents the gump but I had to have a quick timeout to cement that. Which also occurred during fishing. I don't know if full removal of gumps or some amendments to gumps is the answer but it can't hurt to take a look at some "resource management"... or maybe during certain events have it mitigated in some way.
  8. Woobie

Woobie Member

Making my eye twitch talking about chickens bro!!!
    Venger likes this.
  9. Xavant_BR

Xavant_BR Well-Known Member

as someone who also came back to the game after becoming father of young kids(Uo fits very well to the home care routine), a sound effect when the gump show up would be amazing but i believe it would require AGES of programing and codes( i know some nerd would say it would be easy and etc, as always) ... something we dont have available.